What is a good power amp for a McIntosh 6100.

wnabphil78@gmail

On 3/15/2020 at 11:27 AM, billybob said:

Yes, was going to wait and see what you think about the RF-7's.

Hope they suit your fancy. From recollection, you started with the Klf-10. Then a Cornwall(?), cannot recall all.

At some point, and thinking you may know this, the commercial, or pro line may need be in your future.

Just saying, may have to up your game, cut to the chase, so to speak on

In any case... having fun is super cool too ... enjoy.

Hi yes and I’m impressed you remember all my speakers lol, I do like the RF7s for sure, but I do miss the sound of my KLF 20s, mids  and highs were a bit more forward. Corns were ok not mind blowing lol 

• Like 1

BTW Tom, look it up but  Mc may only have 100 wpc stand-alone SS amps. Not certain about any others by them higher. Would only consider at least one solid amp at 150 wpc to make a real difference.

Higher at 200 + to infinity maybe better. Limited here  so others have more to share.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, wnabphil78@gmail said:

Hi yes and I’m impressed you remember all my speakers lol, I do like the RF7s for sure, but I do miss the sound of my KLF 20s, mids  and highs were a bit more forward. Corns were ok not mind blowing lol 

Really think you are wanting to have your head explode. Heard that the hearing goes first... cheers

• Like 1

On 3/10/2020 at 8:12 AM, wnabphil78@gmail said:

I plan on using it as an integrated amp for now unless I need more power.

You should get enough power, unless you really do want your head to explode.  Based on the in-room sensitivity figures, your integrated amp and the RF7s should provide at least 108 dB peaks at 13 feet in a normal room with a true 70 watts per channel, even with a fudge factor built in.

I've heard the concerns about  the impedance dips causing the RF7s to need more "juice" than the specs imply.  I tend to trust Klipsch that the RF7s are 8 ohm compatible, but if you want to go with a big power amp, I'd stick with McIntosh, or perhaps one of the NADs that claim to be optimized for "4 or 8 Ohms."  As you probably know, you'll need to double the power to get a 3 dB increase.  

This one -- the MC152 -- would give you a 3 dB increase, but I'm not sure it has autoformers: McIntosh MC152 Amplifier

This one -- the MC312 -- would give you a 6 dB increase: McIntosh MC312 Amplifier

If you really want to blow up your head, and you win the lottery (do the second first), McIntosh makes an MC2KW 3 piece mono block that puts out 2,000 watts continuous and up to 8,000 watts instantaneous peak.  McIntosh MC2KWOf course, you will need 2 complete sets (6 pieces) for 2 channel stereo, and produce super high SPL, but, as PWK once said, you should have a fire extinguisher handy.  The 6 piece set can be yours, if you shop around, for about $160,000.  `POW'

• Like 2

On 3/18/2020 at 6:13 AM, garyrc said:

You should get enough power, unless you really do want your head to explode.  Based on the in-room sensitivity figures, your integrated amp and the RF7s should provide at least 108 dB peaks at 13 feet in a normal room with a true 70 watts per channel, even with a fudge factor built in.

I've heard the concerns about  the impedance dips causing the RF7s to need more "juice" than the specs imply.  I tend to trust Klipsch that the RF7s are 8 ohm compatible, but if you want to go with a big power amp, I'd stick with McIntosh, or perhaps one of the NADs that claim to be optimized for "4 or 8 Ohms."  As you probably know, you'll need to double the power to get a 3 dB increase.  

This one -- the MC152 -- would give you a 3 dB increase, but I'm not sure it has autoformers: McIntosh MC152 Amplifier

This one -- the MC312 -- would give you a 6 dB increase: McIntosh MC312 Amplifier

If you really want to blow up your head, and you win the lottery (do the second first), McIntosh makes an MC2KW 3 piece mono block that puts out 2,000 watts continuous and up to 8,000 watts instantaneous peak.  McIntosh MC2KWOf course, you will need 2 complete sets (6 pieces) for 2 channel stereo, and produce super high SPL, but, as PWK once said, you should have a fire extinguisher handy.  The 6 piece set can be yours, if you shop around, for about $160,000.  `POW'

Wow thanks for the info!  I’m guessing the Mac will have ample power to drive the RF7s, it’s in the shop new getting looked over and cleaned up, as far as those power amps I would definitely have to win the lotto! Haha

• Like 2