How to Bi-wire Type A Crossover

Robbie010

Without realising it I have bought bi-wire speaker binding posts for my clone la scala project.

Rather than tossing them on a pile of spares and buying another set of normal binding posts can someone tell me whether I can (and how to) connect the bi-wire binding posts to the Type A crossover in a bi-wire configuration?

Thanks. 

3 hours ago, Robbie010 said:

Without realising it I have bought bi-wire speaker binding posts for my clone la scala project.

Rather than tossing them on a pile of spares and buying another set of normal binding posts can someone tell me whether I can (and how to) connect the bi-wire binding posts to the Type A crossover in a bi-wire configuration?

Thanks. 

This won't be too difficult...

Relabel the input terminals as input low.   Use the two empty terminal barrier strips as input high + and -.  Move the wire going to the 13uf cap from the current input + to the new input high +.

Cut the common wire between the output woofer - and the output mid -.  If you cut it close to the woofer out - screw you may have enough to shift the remaining wire to the left.  In the end, one common wire from input low - to woofer out -, one common wire from input high - to output tweeter - and output mid -.

Now, connect your top binding posts to input high, and the bottom binding posts to input low.

For single wire from your amp, you will need to strap your + binding posts together and your - binding posts together.  For biamp/biwire, remove the straps.

Actually, you made your speaker a little more versatile!

I hope I visualized that right.

Mike

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, mboxler said:

This won't be too difficult...

Relabel the input terminals as input low.   Use the two empty terminal barrier strips as input high + and -.  Move the wire going to the 13uf cap from the current input + to the new input high +.

Cut the common wire between the output woofer - and the output mid -.  If you cut it close to the woofer out - screw you may have enough to shift the remaining wire to the left.  In the end, one common wire from input low - to woofer out -, one common wire from input high - to output tweeter - and output mid -.

Now, connect your top binding posts to input high, and the bottom binding posts to input low.

For single wire from your amp, you will need to strap your + binding posts together and your - binding posts together.  For biamp/biwire, remove the straps.

Actually, you made your speaker a little more versatile!

I hope I visualized that right.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I’m going to have to break this down and work through it bit by bit. I’m a visual learner so will need the crossover in front of me to make sense of this. 

👍🏻

• Like 1

Thanks Mike,

I’m going to have to break this down and work through it bit by bit. I’m a visual learner so will need the crossover in front of me to make sense of this. 

[emoji1303]

I’m the same way
Any pics to show this would be great
I learn things by being a hands on with these type of jobs. And photos help me as well
Great question and a great answer
Hopefully some pics or a drawn out diagram of how to do this would be great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Wait.. what? Why not just just use one set of the binding posts and ignore the other?

I realise that this the “easy” way of doing it but if I’ve got bi-wire binding posts why not utilise them and do it properly!?

4 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

I’m the same way
I learn things by being a hands on with these type of jobs. And photos help me as well

I will take pictures and do a diagram while I’m following Mikes instructions and post them when I’m done. 👍🏻

15 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

I’m the same way

here is a before and after image..... I think this is right!

Before:

5CAC98B5-2DC9-4D43-B921-73C67409B332.jpeg.99227fbe2a481866e31de3e77ca83adc.jpeg

After:

B642B312-F29B-47CD-9514-94E430C8EF6C.thumb.jpeg.2d729c6421ab1e9513176095f60985a5.jpeg

Looks good to me!  You have now created two separate filter circuits.  They will become one parallel circuit when the binding posts are strapped.

They can also be paralleled when "strapped" at the amp...bi-wiring.

They can also be run as separate circuits, each connected to its own amp...bi-amping.

Mike