Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

• Moderators
2 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Watching it right now.  Just google Joe Rogan 1439

If you like his podcast this is a very good one, it's about sleep.

• Like 1

Just now, MicroMara said:

The whole country of Italy is under quarantine since yesterday. Public life is no longer taking place. Night curfews, borders with neighbouring countries are closed. Nearly 10,000 infected and over 1,000 dead.

The most freighting aspect off the outbreak in Italy is a death rate of 6.3%, compare this to a death rates in seasonal flue of 0.1 % to 0.5% this reflecting average to most sever. The situation in Italy and in the rest of the world is compounded in that it is the oldest and least well 20% of society who succumb to this virus those who are most vulnerable at the best of times those who will require the highest levels of medical care which will be the limiting factor in who is saved and who is not.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

Well a friend was going to cook some fried rice for lunch today for us, she looked at the ingredients and decided to switch out the fresh garlic for granules we had here. 

She asked me what I thought, I just said " You feel lucky punk", she through it in the garbage. :lol:

image.jpeg

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Even American epidemiologists admit that forced quarantines, though cruel as they might be, are the most effective way to constrain the spread of a virus.

Yet according to the expert in the video above trying to stop this is like trying to stop the wind.  In addition, people just can't put their lives on hold for weeks on end.  People need to work, people need to eat.  Life must go on.

15 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

The whole country of Italy is under quarantine since yesterday. Public life is no longer taking place. Night curfews, borders with neighbouring countries are closed. Nearly 10,000 infected and over 1,000 dead. Germany currently : almost 1,000 infected and only 3 dead .The German government is taking all possible precautionary measures to prevent a pandemic.

my buddy is stuck in Munich right now. Was in Italy last week, then Germany.  His flight home was out of Rome, which has been cancelled.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Yet according to the expert in the video above trying to stop this is like trying to stop the wind.  In addition, people just can't put their lives on hold for weeks on end.  People need to work, people need to eat.  Life must go on.

That is precisely why we should elect leaders and not the flavor of the month.  (NO, I'm not referring to Trump). When tasked with the safety and security of millions of people, that is a heck of a lot different than just protecting yourself. Very, very challenging situation for a leader. 

I was observing people this morning while at a few stores. 

I left a dispensary and noticed an employee cleaning the door knob -- hopefully that was proactive and not because someone in there before me looked sick.

I go into Walmart and this lady is coughing directly into her hand.  Another elderly woman is rubbing her nose with her hand.  Are these people that just aren't afraid of getting sick or are they just going about life and not letting this virus consume their thoughts?  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, moray james said:

The most freighting aspect off the outbreak in Italy is a death rate of 6.3%, compare this to a death rates in seasonal flue of 0.1 % to 0.5% this reflecting average to most sever. The situation in Italy and in the rest of the world is compounded in that it is the oldest and least well 20% of society who succumb to this virus those who are most vulnerable at the best of times those who will require the highest levels of medical care which will be the limiting factor in who is saved and who is not.

I don't watch the news hardly ever ... it is alarming that Italy is getting hit so hard.  have any young people (30s, 20s or younger) died from this or is it just the elderly or those already compromised?  

I'm not going nuts, but I've been vigilant because I have Asthma and, while I haven't seen it stated specifically, I guess it counts as an underlying respiratory condition that would put me in a danger zone if I got the virus.

First patient diagnosed and hospitalized at the place I get my medical care from. 

I may delay the rest of my acupuncture treatment until this calms down ... don't want to walk into that Petri dish (hospital) every single week until this is under control. 

• Like 1

Well Italy is closed. Majority of deaths is in population over 65, although as time go by it seems to go under that age.

Other European countries are also hit, not as severely as Italy. Spain, France. Germany, Switzerland. Austria and Slovenia have closed borders to Italy.

We have many neighbors working in Italy. A week ago one lady that works helping elderly people in retirement home came back, and a few days ago her co-worker was forced to stay there in quarantine. 

Also, one guy came back from attending the Munich fair, had simptoma, tested positive, also quarantined.

Situation in Europe is getting worse. We will see how it unfolds, but it certainly seems real. 

There is no need to panic but as long as governments work together taking reasonable measures, damage should be minimal.

For example, our sports events are stil taking place but with no visitors at stadiums.

At the very least, practice basic hygiene. Wash your hands. Don't cough or sneeze on other people. Stay home if you're sick.

Even in the current situation, I can't believe the number of people who still talk on their cell phone while using the toilet, walk out the door without washing their hands, grab the very same doorknobs that everyone else in the building has to use, and then shake hands with someone they meet.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dtel said:

If you like his podcast this is a very good one, it's about sleep.

Really good podcast.  I also read his book. 

I actually discovered the Joe Rogan podcasts while looking for videos on quantum mechanics (yea, I know).

I always thought that Rogan was a meathead and never watched Fear Factor (or most any TV show), but he has some great podcasts and he is actually a good interviewer.  He can keep a podcast interesting for three hours straight. 

6 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I actually discovered the Joe Rogan podcasts while looking for videos on quantum mechanics (yea, I know).

I always thought that Rogan was a meathead and never watched Fear Factor (or most any TV show), but he has some great podcasts and he is actually a good interviewer.  He can keep a podcast interesting for three hours straight. 

Agree.  he has some interesting discussions.

16 minutes ago, parlophone1 said:

There is no need to panic but as long as governments work together taking reasonable measures, damage should be minimal.

I am not saying to panic, but really? 

Proactive steps have not been taken.  We are still barely even testing right now.  They are just getting going making the tests and gettign labs ready to test.  This is two to three months after this all started.   Nobody was sent to China when this first broke out to gather information and intervene.  There is no storage of N95 masks and sanitizers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dtel said:

Well a friend was going to cook some fried rice for lunch today for us, she looked at the ingredients and decided to switch out the fresh garlic for granules we had here. 

She asked me what I thought, I just said " You feel lucky punk", she through it in the garbage. :lol:

image.jpeg

I am approaching this the following way.  if uncooked, it must be a food that can sit untouched for two plus weeks.  Think spices, dried fruit, and nuts.  If refrigerated or frozen, but uncooked, one month. 

If cooked, then OK to use but handle very carefully and bring to temperature and hold it there for at least five minutes. 

A good example, I am making a big batch of Chili.  The onions, tomatoes, and peppers will be thoroughly cooked and then I will freeze.  I am not worried about the beef as I bought it a few years ago as a portion of a free range cow.