Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

16 minutes ago, joshnich said:

From my understanding you are correct in theory. They do however serve the purpose of keeping people from touching their nose and mouth - which I believe is the primary entry point of the virus.  

True

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, joshnich said:

From my understanding you are correct in theory. They do however serve the purpose of keeping people from touching their nose and mouth - which I believe is the primary entry point of the virus.  

True for surgical masks.  I have tried them in the attic and still cough as fibers make it through. 

Not true for N95 or P95 or higher masks as they do work to stop the virus from being inhaled.  The problem is that we are caught with our pants down and do not have enough masks for those on the front lines (Medical workers) who really need these. 

A N95 (look for the breather vent), or even better, a P95 or higher mask will stop the virus from being inhaled if used properly.  You should also use glasses that seal to your face (grinding / sawdust type glasses).  I use a P95 mask (with rubber seal around your face) and no fiberglass or dust makes it through.  Only problem is that I sweat like crazy with it on.  

You can use a P95 mask and not smell a thing.  I saw a review where a guy used it to change his baby's diapers.  Now that is good thinking!

• Like 2

• Moderators
3 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

Reminds me of a line from the movie Apollo 13 when their reentry angle is off because they weren't carrying the anticipated weight of moon rocks. 

The worker says, "should we tell them?"

The flight director asks, "is there anything we can do about it?"

"No."

"then why tell them."

While silence is sometimes a prudent plan, we now live in this social media age where stories (true or false) are concocted continuously and spread rapidly. So, if the government is silent; people start believing what they hear elsewhere. I think governments like being a nanny state -- I would rather they just give us the truth and let us deal with it. 

Excellent, analogy.

However, they corrected for the underweight problem with a retro burn that was done by seat of the pants flying with flight controls reversed (the transcripts of crew during that maneuver are available).  It was unknown if the TRW LEM engine would work under those conditions, or would shut down quickly enough. 

After separation from the LEM, and then the Service Module, a warning light came on that indicated the heat shield may have been compromised and could seperate from the capsule. There was nothing that could be done about that.

Sometimes knowing the difference between the things you can change, and those you can't, takes the greatest wisdom of all.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

@dtel has seen his fair share of stupidity related to hurricanes in stories he has shared with me.

Mandatory evacuation orders and his neighbors said no we are gonna ride it out, we rode out [fill in name] and we will ride this one out..They were never seen or heard from again apparently.  DTEL always got his family out, always got his family back.

He said sometimes it was a false alarm. I asked him if that might influence his decision in future evac orders, he said "no, why take a chance."

• Thanks 1

FWIW the two St Patrick Day parades in Chicago have be "postponed."  So to the dyein (bright green)  of the Chicago River.  

My employer is going to a work at home mode.

WMcD

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Excellent, analogy.

However, they corrected for the underweight problem with a retro burn that was done by seat of the pants flying with flight controls reversed (the transcripts of crew during that maneuver are available).  It was unknown if the TRW LEM engine would work under those conditions, or would shut down quickly enough. 

After separation from the LEM, and then the Service Module, a warning light came on that indicated the heat shield may have been compromised and could seperate from the capsule. There was nothing that could be done about that.

Sometimes knowing the difference between the things you can change, and those you can't, takes the greatest wisdom of all.

so you're saying that there's a chance?

Here is a question.

If you're pretty healthy and get exposed to a virus, does your body form an imune respose, sort of like getting vacinated?

If so, it is good to be exposed.

WMcD

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WMcD said:

Here is a question.

If you're pretty healthy and get exposed to a virus, does your body form an imune respose, sort of like getting vacinated?

If so, it is good to beexposed.

WMcD

Earlier, I saw another guest speaker on TV state that they will be collecting plasma from people who've had the virus and recovered.  The plasma contains antibodies, which can be used in other people who become infected.

• Like 1

a different aspect of this virus outbreak ... what do you guys think of your fellow Americans (or people of the world) in their reaction to the virus?

On most issues, I'm more interested in a person's reaction moreso than the actual event. 

Have you been surprised either positively or negatively?  

Has what you've seen thus far given you a good feeling about society or has it created some concerns?

Here is a question.

WMcD

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, WMcD said:

Here is a question.

If so, it is good to be exposed.

WMcD

our bodies form memory cells that remember pathogens and help create faster defense in future attacks. 

I'm sure a professional can explain it better. 

5 minutes ago, WMcD said:

Here is a question.

WMcD

I very rarely get sick.  I've had five colds since New Years Eve 1999.  A guy at work would keep asking me how my streak was going (at one time, I went seven years between colds) and he'd say that it's good to get sick because that will help strengthen your immune system.  I'd tell him, "I haven't been sick in seven years, I think my immune system is strong enough."

I admit that I'm a bit neurotic around sick people, mainly because sometimes when I get sick, my Asthma goes nuts for weeks after the illness is gone. 

I'd hate working from home.  The apartment becomes a prison cell.

At work we have a suite of offices with almost 100 people working at computers.  Everyone goes through the front door with a door knob used after a security card swipe.  And there are a mens room and a ladies room with doorknobs out in the hall.  And an elevator call button.

I might try just washing the doorknobs with hand cleaner every 15 minutes until some manager tells me to stop.  

It seems like good science to me though others may disagree and think it can't be worthwhile.

OTOH I probably have a reputation for being a nut case anyway so there is little to lose.

Smile,

WMcD

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WMcD said:

I might try just washing the doorknobs with hand cleaner every 15 minutes until some manager tells me to stop.  

It seems like good science to me.  OTOH I probably have a reputation for being a nut case anyway so there is little to lose.

welcome to the club.  this gal at work once, gave me a large bottle of hand sanitizer once as a gift. 

I would spray the doorknobs with lysol.

I would just tell them, go ahead and laugh because the two or three times a year when you're feeling like crap for a week because you're sick, I'll be feeling fine. 

I really feel this is so overblown. Last year, in the U.S. alone from the common flu from a report on CBS citing a CDC study,  "The report estimates that flu has caused at least 4.6 million flu illnesses, 39,000 hospitalizations and 2,100 deaths since the season began in September. " That is 4 months. You don't see panic in the streets over the flu yet it is much worse. YMMV!   https://detroit.cbslocal.com/2019/12/30/cdc-flu-deaths-rise-2100-nationwide-2019/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Cal Blacksmith said:

I really feel this is so overblown. Last year, in the U.S. alone from the common flu from a report on CBS citing a CDC study,  "The report estimates that flu has caused at least 4.6 million flu illnesses, 39,000 hospitalizations and 2,100 deaths since the season began in September. " That is 4 months. You don't see panic in the streets over the flu yet it is much worse. YMMV!   https://detroit.cbslocal.com/2019/12/30/cdc-flu-deaths-rise-2100-nationwide-2019/

Hey Cal ... nice to see you.  I was just thinking of you the other day and how I hadn't seen you post in a long while. I hope all is well.