Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

My son went to work is morning at Albertson's supermarket as a cashier.  He worked there in HS, but hasn't worked as a checker for several years.  With college classes suspended for now, the store manager called and asked him to help due to the critical shortage of store workers, especially cashiers.  Probably a high risk job right now, considering the high number of people supermarket cashiers encounter.  Somebody has to keep things running to keep essentials available.

My wife is a hospital director and has been working long hours planning for the inevitable surge in patients.  She goes in at 3:30 am to screen employees arriving to work, checking temperatures, etc.

I feel like a slug just working from home (mandatory per my employer).

We have set up a protocol for family members returning to home from being out.  Clothes come of in the garage and go directly to the washing machine.  Next stop is the sink in the laundry room to wash hands before entering the house.  Maybe we are being overly careful, but that's better than dragging germs in the house.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Seadog said:

My son went to work is morning at Albertson's supermarket as a cashier.  He worked there in HS, but hasn't worked as a checker for several years.  With college classes suspended for now, the store manager called and asked him to help due to the critical shortage of store workers, especially cashiers.  Probably a high risk job right now, considering the high number of people supermarket cashiers encounter.  Somebody has to keep things running to keep essentials available.

My wife is a hospital director and has been working long hours planning for the inevitable surge in patients.  She goes in at 3:30 am to screen employees arriving to work, checking temperatures, etc.

I feel like a slug just working from home (mandatory per my employer).

We have set up a protocol for family members returning to home from being out.  Clothes come of in the garage and go directly to the washing machine.  Next stop is the sink in the laundry room to wash hands before entering the house.  Maybe we are being overly careful, but that's better than dragging germs in the house.

Important work. Hand sanitizer.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Best to you and your.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, billybob said:

Bought at my local pharmacy. Quantum brand TheraZinc. Ten dollars for 14 large melting lozenges. When finished it stays on the back of my throat for several minutes. Using as a prophylactic. Thanks!

Edit: Pharmacy did not recc. ZiCam for zinc content. ?

Dude ripped me. Only $2.70 online

Oh well 7 mg. Per lozenge.

16 minutes ago, billybob said:

Important work. Hand sanitizer.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Best to you and your.

Our supply of hand sanitizer will be used for disinfecting cell phones and key fobs, etc. when returning home (things that cannot be washed with soap and water).  Also, everyone has a small squeeze bottle to carry in their cars.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Seadog said:

Our supply of hand sanitizer will be used for disinfecting cell phones and key fobs, etc. when returning home (things that cannot be washed with soap and water).  Also, everyone has a small squeeze bottle to carry in their cars.

Really think a good practice.

Was thinking about hand sanitizer for your son used during work.

On 3/19/2020 at 9:20 AM, CECAA850 said:

I'm sorry, but that's unbelievable.  It's crazy!  😮

So, the mayor orders them to stop shooting each other so there are beds for the Covid-19 virus patients? 

"Baltimore Mayor Begs Residents To Stop Shooting Each Other So Hospital Beds Can Be Used For Coronavirus Patients..."

Then after the virus passes, does the mayor give the go-ahead for its citizens to resume the shootings?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Well, I'm normally the first one in line to complain about the heat and especially humidity around here.  The humidity here is normally 90+%.  Guess there's a silver lining.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/health-wellness/new-study-says-high-temperature-and-high-relative-humidity-significantly-reduce-spread-of-covid-19/703418

• Like 2

My mid-America son reports that the Governor of Kansas has closed all public schools for the remainder of the school year. Fortunately  both he and his wife are on mandatory work from home. (He codes and his wife does heavy duty data analysis)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, billybob said:

Really think a good practice.

Was thinking about hand sanitizer for your son used during work.

I sent him with disposable nitrile gloves to wear (I have small stash in the garage that I keep for handling insecticides and herbicides). The store is supposed to provide hand sanitizer to employees.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, richieb said:

It may have been mentioned but all ammunition sites are sold out, backorder on 9mm. Gotsta’ guard your TP —

Here in WV I went to a Rural King for a big bag of dog food.  Passing by the gun counter they were out of .22, .38 and 9mm.

I probably have a typical cache of 500 .22's and 500 9mm. 

For target practice, of course.  😎

• Like 1

As we delve deeper into this quagmire we’re going to hear that America suffers from a tremendous shortage of hospital beds as-in the actual acute hospital facilities needed to provide care for patients. How does a country purportedly high in healthcare standards come up short of hospitals?

They are called ‘certificate of need’ regulations. These are gov’t regulations that mandate proof of need for new hospitals, expanded hospitals and major hospital services - prior to them being constructed. They were intended to provide some sort of oversight to keep hospitals from ‘over’ building and the committee’s that approved or denied them often did not include medical staff. It was one of those ‘better healthcare’ through gov’t regulation set of laws. After realizing they did not work to improve actual healthcare nor contain its costs many states eliminated these regulations- others did not. So as we head into this maelstrom if your state comes up short on beds look and see if they ‘cut their own throat’ using state laws to oversee your medical needs.

• Like 1

@Seadog

Sounds like a good practice. Most people like your wife would know the correct way to use the gloves.

Was taught when I went to work for a large medical specimen company.

Not an expert but, would not deviate from plan. Mistakes sometimes made generally not regrettable. Cheers

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Well, I'm normally the first one in line to complain about the heat and especially humidity around here.  The humidity here is normally 90+%.  Guess there's a silver lining.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/health-wellness/new-study-says-high-temperature-and-high-relative-humidity-significantly-reduce-spread-of-covid-19/703418

Therein may be the help needed.

1 hour ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

As we delve deeper into this quagmire we’re going to hear that America suffers from a tremendous shortage of hospital beds as-in the actual acute hospital facilities needed to provide care for patients. How does a country purportedly high in healthcare standards come up short of hospitals?

They are called ‘certificate of need’ regulations. These are gov’t regulations that mandate proof of need for new hospitals, expanded hospitals and major hospital services - prior to them being constructed. They were intended to provide some sort of oversight to keep hospitals from ‘over’ building and the committee’s that approved or denied them often did not include medical staff. It was one of those ‘better healthcare’ through gov’t regulation set of laws. After realizing they did not work to improve actual healthcare nor contain its costs many states eliminated these regulations- others did not. So as we head into this maelstrom if your state comes up short on beds look and see if they ‘cut their own throat’ using state laws to oversee your medical needs.

Make more beds and ventilators.

Edit: thanks

Youngest daughter and son-in-law were just on their first vacation in 2 years in Savannah and Charleston, but had to cut it short to come back to Canada before all the air lines and boarder closures.  Wife and I have done shopping for them and stocked up their house. Final round was yesterday as they are in 14 day self quarantine.  I left groceries on our porch and daughter came up and picked them up.  I had to wave to her through the glass in the front door.  That's not fun.  Oh well, they are fine so far and at home with pets and projects to keep them busy and we didn't expose each other.  That's important.  The people who don't believe in flu shots etc. are hopefully going to learn that they have a responsibility to others, including social distancing and self isolation or we are all going to have to deal with this for a long time.  The researchers and pharama companies are going to be going full blast but we're still stuck for a while with our own behaviour as the common front against this. 

The 2 times I went out, I've washed, used Lysol wipes, and hand sanitizer multiple times while out.  Wiped down anything I touched.  Then repeat when I got home.  Then wash all clothes and ... me.  Top to bottom cleaning.  Also wiped down the interior of the truck.  If I get this thing, I am >65 and have asthma, I'm probably in for a tough ride.  Wife is working from home, boy she's flat out (in house counsel) and trying to limit her outdoor activities too.  But she goes stir crazy while I'm happy reading, making speaker cables, watching videos etc.  Thank goodness for the NFL free agency fun, Tom Brady may have single handily kept some people from going crazy, or maybe he made some crazier!  Can't wait to watch the draft "live" or sort of live.

Everyone please be safe.  Please take it seriously. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

We're not short.  My wife works at a hospital and the problem is that it is already at full capacity.  It can and is handling the daily needs.  If hospitals routinely ran at 80% capacity they would go out of business.

The problem is if we add another ie 20 ICU patients, whether from virus, industrial accident, etc.  That is where the hospitals lack resources, ICU nurses are highly trained. You can't just pull a nurse off a med-surg floor and assign her to ICU.  They are not trained nor certified to handle the specialized ICU equipment, such as ventilators. 

6 hours ago, Deang said:

Asymptomatic Transmission. 

A lot of people have this and have no symptoms, and are spreading it. Someone he’s recently been in contact with has it. 

I don’t worry about the ones that are coughing, I can avoid them. The ones that worry me are the asymptomatic virus bombs. 

Please err on the side of paranoia if your wife has immunity problems.

2 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I have been tracking US cases for a few days.  6,000, 9,000, 14,000.  50% increase every day.  Zoom that out and the line will look pretty much vertical. 

1 hour ago, Seadog said:

You'd fit in over here.  My wife has done the same.  She is strict but I listen.  Clothes right in the washing machine, don't care about colors.  Shoes at the door on a designated piece of cardboard.  Wash hands. 

May seem like overkill but it is really important to not have to go to the hospital.  Why increase our risk for no reason? 

29 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I'm sorry, but that's unbelievable.  It's crazy!  😮

So, the mayor orders them to stop shooting each other so there are beds for the Covid-19 virus patients? 

"Baltimore Mayor Begs Residents To Stop Shooting Each Other So Hospital Beds Can Be Used For Coronavirus Patients..."

Then after the virus passes, does the mayor give the go-ahead for its citizens to resume the shootings?

If it is gang'sta on gang'sta, let's hope they shoot to kill and leave the bystanders out of it.  Thin that herd, they do not need to be taking up hospital beds for their anger and rage.  Can't deal with it now.  And a bunch of you probably thought I was too liberal.

17 minutes ago, Seadog said:

I sent him with disposable nitrile gloves to wear (I have small stash in the garage that I keep for handling insecticides and herbicides). The store is supposed to provide hand sanitizer to employees.

Save your used gloves. let them sit through the quarantine period then wash them.  I have masks, gloves, face shields, respirators, glasses, etc. from my hobbies.  Won't be getting any more. 

7 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

How does a country purportedly high in healthcare standards come up short of hospitals?

Speak to people from other countries.  I have seen videos from other countries like Canada where crazy hockey fans are drunkenly yelling about how much they love their healthcare and numerous others where citizens say how happy they are with their imperfect, but very good systems. 

I saw an interview where someone said this, then had a candid conversation with someone from another country where they each independently referred to the USA as the 'third world country' of the developed nations.  I found it odd that I had heard this more then once in separate settings, our crumbling infrastructure and healthcare being the biggest drivers of this perception.  They love it here, but that is how foreigners see us when they are here.  Don't get mad at this, and please don't get this thread locked, just take it at face value.  Constructive criticism leads to improvements.  We can do better. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, billybob said:

Make more beds and ventilators.

Problem solved!  👍  :emotion-19:

How many highly trained nurses do you think it will take to operate those ventilators 24/7?  FYI ICU staffing is usually 2:1 as opposed to floor nurses where 20:1 is typical.  There is already a nurse shortage.  If we started today with a huge influx of new nurses, it would be four years before that class would start to impact hospital staffing.

Making more things is the easy part.  Making more skilled people is the difficult part.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Problem solved!  👍  :emotion-19:

How many highly trained nurses do you think it will take to operate those ventilators 24/7?  FYI ICU staffing is usually 2:1 as opposed to floor nurses where 20:1 is typical.  There is already a nurse shortage.  If we started today with a huge influx of new nurses, it would be four years before that class would start to impact hospital staffing.

Making more things is the easy part.  Making more skilled people is the difficult part.

Train more people fastlaned. Make sure that everyone sick has a bed to lie on.

If anyone thinks not being positive here, please let me know. thanks

Not panicky or Polly Anna.

Calm and a can do attitude.

Be well...