Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

55 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Well, I'm normally the first one in line to complain about the heat and especially humidity around here.  The humidity here is normally 90+%.  Guess there's a silver lining.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/health-wellness/new-study-says-high-temperature-and-high-relative-humidity-significantly-reduce-spread-of-covid-19/703418

This will help, but don't see this as the silver bullet.  In the influenza outbreak of 1918 there were two waves.  The heat slowed the virus in the summer, then it mutated and came back with a vengeance as it was much more resilient. 

Nobody knows how many people died, because India and other nations did not report well.  I have seen where it could have been ad high as 100M.  A small percentage of the overall population, but a huge number. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MC39693 said:

If I get this thing, I am >65 and have asthma, I'm probably in for a tough ride.

From reading your post, it appears you guys are really taking every precaution. According to this website, as of yesterday only 1 person has died as a result of the Caronavirus in Alberta. Good luck to you.

https://www.alberta.ca/coronavirus-info-for-albertans.aspx

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Problem solved!  👍  :emotion-19:

How many highly trained nurses do you think it will take to operate those ventilators 24/7?  FYI ICU staffing is usually 2:1 as opposed to floor nurses where 20:1 is typical.  There is already a nurse shortage.  If we started today with a huge influx of new nurses, it would be four years before that class would start to impact hospital staffing.

Making more things is the easy part.  Making more skilled people is the difficult part.

Nurses do not typically operate ventilators. They fall into the realm of respiratory therapists. And - yes - it takes years to train either discipline to be competent enough to begin to work in critical care settings. Insofar as bed availability it is not any individual hospital it is a community being served that defines upper limits on bed counts. My point is that this choice should NOT be made by gov’t committees and quite a few states agree with me. We’ll be deploying MASH and other temporary options to make up shortages. But these are not infectious disease arenas.

• Like 2

This was just posted in a local neighborhood community forum. 

Sharing this from a fellow ER doctor!!! please read and share!! URGENT!!! It’s 3am and I’m awake. I’m laying by my sleeping daughter and realizing that for the first time in my life that I’m scared to go to work. I have worked in trauma centers, jails, during bomb threats - but nothing has been as scary as going to work NOW when the threat of COVID19 is killing people, including my colleagues, and the public is not taking this seriously.

I’m being asked, as a wife and a mom of 5 children ages 6 and younger, to go to work knowing that we have limited supply of protective gear. We are reusing gear that is meant for one time use because we DON’T have any more! This is happening at almost every hospital in the USA. Where is our personal protective equipment (PPE)? How can we DEMAND more supply? How can the public help us? Who is hearing us?! I took an oath to help others. I never thought that meant risking my life due to lack of preparedness. This is like asking me not to worry about driving on the highway without a seatbelt alongside drunk drivers but hoping I will be unharmed, or mandating I sky dive with a damaged parachute not passing regulations for a jump...hoping that I’m lucky and that it works “enough”.

Being an Emergency Medicine Physician is what I signed up for and I love my career which enables me to help in times of tragedy. But what happens when the doctors and nurses are diseased? Who will be the healers then? Who is going to explain to our young children and families that we could have prevented this by having proper equipment and for the public to stay at home to contain this pandemic?

I know of a few of my Emergency Medicine colleagues who are ill with COVID19. They are in the ICU on life support. While I am laying next to my daughter I feel guilty that they may never get to lay next to theirs....I feel both horrible and lucky simultaneously.

Someone please help us healthcare workers. If you have power - power of your voice, power in government, power in money/resources to order PPE for hospitals and doctors’ offices or anything. I plead you to help. And if all you can do is comment below to know I’m being heard....to share this post so others hear the message that doctors, nurses and many others are risking their lives....or if you have another idea, I’m all ears.

I have always thought that people, by nature, are Inherently good. That we are all true humanitarians at our core. Please channel that inner humanitarian and help us today. 1. Stay home - social distance 2. Help us get Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)! Write your local and federal government officials. The world has amazing philanthropists who don’t even know this is a way they can help save millions of lives! Notify anyone who can help...here is a link to the top 9 companies who make the products: https://www.businesswire.com/…/Top-9-Vendors-Personal-Prote… 3. Be gentle to your healthcare workers. We are scared too. We are fighting for you and for our own lives.

Thank you,

Dr. Hala Sabry

Emergency Medicine Physician

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Here in WV I went to a Rural King for a big bag of dog food.  Passing by the gun counter they were out of .22, .38 and 9mm.

I probably have a typical cache of 500 .22's and 500 9mm. 

For target practice, of course.  😎

air rifles work well too !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I'm sorry, but that's unbelievable.  It's crazy!  😮

So, the mayor orders them to stop shooting each other so there are beds for the Covid-19 virus patients? 

"Baltimore Mayor Begs Residents To Stop Shooting Each Other So Hospital Beds Can Be Used For Coronavirus Patients..."

Then after the virus passes, does the mayor give the go-ahead for its citizens to resume the shootings?

I used to play fantasy football with an East coaster whose team was named 'Bodymore, Murderland.' When we asked the significance of the name, he posted current shooting and death statistics. Now it isn't the only city with a shooting problem, but we understood why he used that moniker. It fit.

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Here in WV I went to a Rural King for a big bag of dog food.  Passing by the gun counter they were out of .22, .38 and 9mm.

I was a bit over my skies when I said All 9 mm ammo was on backorder. The good stuff, self defense hollow point and the like can be had at high cost around $40 for 50x box. And I did find some standard bulk 9mm that may as well be on back order for the exorbitant price I saw on one site - $400 for 1000x. That’s criminal as I always pay less that half of that. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

that's for the corpses

Not too funny

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8129959/Military-trucks-transport-Italian-coronavirus-victims-coffins-cremated.html

A fleet of army trucks on a highway in Bergamo last night, transporting the coffins of coronavirus victims out of the city after the local cemetery became overwhelmed by the virus death toll 

A fleet of army trucks on a highway in Bergamo last night, transporting the coffins of coronavirus victims out of the city after the local cemetery became overwhelmed by the virus death toll

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, wvu80 said:

that's all.  I honestly don't know how many thousand rounds of ammo and reloading supplies I have stored up for target and rat shooting.  Lots of guns require lots of ammo!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

air rifles work well too !

I didn't use an air rifle, but I did put two deer in the freezer this past deer season.  We'll be good on protein for a while, as long as the power grid doesn't go down.

I think this experience is revealing what a lot of individuals true colors are.  when this is all over, I think a lot of people are going to have to remove the mirrors from their houses (if they haven't already seared their consciences).

at the first whiff of trouble, how many turn into Doug Heffernan and think of only themselves?

I was just at the grocery store, for the second day in a row.  Just a few items for me, I have always had plenty backup on hand from taking advantage of sales and close outs.  People are inherently OK, at least Americans are, or maybe I have to limit it to Texans, or since Carl begs to differ, north central Texans.  People are stocking up for sure, but there has been no rudeness or altercations.  The cynics seem to be from places where people must really suck.  I am sorry you have chosen to live in such places.

3 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I was just at the grocery store, for the second day in a row.  Just a few items for me, I have always had plenty backup on hand from taking advantage of sales and close outs.  People are inherently OK, at least Americans are, or maybe I have to limit it to Texans, or since Carl begs to differ, north central Texans.  People are stocking up for sure, but there has been no rudeness or altercations.  The cynics seem to be from places where people must really suck.  I am sorry you have chosen to live in such places.

So the shelves were fully stocked?  No shortages?  Everyone where you shop is civil and not hoarding?  If that's the case, it would be the only part of the country, or your state that it would be the case, and would be commendable, to say the least.