Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

42 minutes ago, Randyh said:

i've had the same experience , both McDonalds and the Shriners are the Best when it comes to doing all they can  for the kids , and their parents -

I can vouch for them both. We (grandparents) and our 1 yr old grandsons parents did 2-3 week turns at Childrens Hospital in Vancouver

for almost  a full year. 5 hour drive from where lived but the Shriner bus would pick us up and drop us off at the hospital or the Ronald McDonald house.

Had the same room the whole time. AML for his first birthday. Bless them forever.

• Like 1

There’s a sizable Chinese population living in northern Italy. When Italy declined to curtail travel from China this region in Italy got the bulk of Chinese visitors and was super infected. Italy’s high mortality stats probably reflect skewed data. They likely are reporting only the worst cases and (not uncommonly) those Italians not seriously sick stayed as far away from hospitals as possible.

Smoking and cilia: The mucociliary escalator is one mechanical component of the lungs defense systems to clear out pollutants. It involves 2 different kinds of mucous, those wonderful cilia and coughing. The cilia are tiny hairs that whip a layer of mucous from the lower respiratory tract up and out. Entrapped in that mucous layer are things captured from the air. Once in the major airways a ‘cough’ will expel this on going mucous load. It is a perpetual dance that keeps your lungs clean. Smoking........  the 1st thing smoking does (as in within a week of starting) is paralyze these cilia. This is why even young smokers have a morning hacking cough and a ton of mucous to expel. I can pick a smoking teen out of a group just by assessing depth and frequency of coughing. Paralyzed cilia is just the beginning. You probably don’t want to hear the rest. And nicotine is bad in and of itself. 

Insofar as experiencing being on mechanical ventilation most of us have had that pleasure. Any major surgery will use mechanical ventilation, airway and the whole 9 yards. Now being so compromised as to require ventilator support to live.....   OMG....... seriously not-a-good-time.

Thank Chinese leadership for this mess. They lied from the start and most certainly still lie about the gravity of their situation. I am starting to think that Russia is misrepresenting their situations as well. But it is China at the headwaters. It is China that could have kept a lid on this. It is China that could have helped the rest of the planet to be better prepared to cope. 

11 minutes ago, NADman said:

Had the same room the whole time.

The RMH had a 45 day limit to your stay.  On the 46th day you had to leave but could get back in line for a room if you still needed it.  If a room was available you could stay and the clock started again.  We got her out of the hospital on the 45th day.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

The RMH had a 45 day limit to your stay.  On the 46th day you had to leave but could get back in line for a room if you still needed it.  If a room was available you could stay and the clock started again.  We got her out of the hospital on the 45th day.

Richie is now 16, so that was 15 years ago, in Canada. Limits were never mentioned.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Randyh said:

it only takes 1 infected person to infect others , so whether China or any other country , you cannot stop a virus  from spreading , in a world economy  -we are all in 1 economy - 1 people , 1 planet -lies on the other hand is not warranted when it under-reports the real danger to other countries -but on the other hand , we all knew it was coming , but we waited too long to react -

Nope - WE knew what China told us and WHO in particular believed them. That is why WHO delayed calling this a pandemic. There was ample and clear evidence of the severity of covid 19 in China in December and as of January they told WHO that the disease was not being passed between humans. America tried to send infectious disease experts to Wuhan and were denied access by (guess who). China silenced their own public health equivalent of our CDC until Wuhan was boiling in disease. Nobody can ‘read’ minds. The west suspected troubled but necessarily had to rely on China for data......  and China lied, time after time.

• Like 1

Just now, billybob said:

Just saw on NBC Boston General Hospital spokesman say, that in a ventilator emergency, they can split the ventilation to two patients.

I saw that a couple of days ago and wondered if there were check valves involved to insure no spit swapping.

3 minutes ago, USNRET said:

I saw that a couple of days ago and wondered if there were check valves involved to insure no spit swapping.

Was wondering too.  News to me.

Guess maybe at least a splitter.

Maybe a filter of some sort ?

Interesting.

If I were to gen one up it would be a splitter on the output hose with a flapper / one way check valve that allowed flow in one direction only in each hose downstream of the splitter.

1 minute ago, Randyh said:

the virus is also , in the respirator , the hoses , in all directions -, for and aft , scary ,  right

I ASSUMED that the ventilator intake would have the appropriate filtration to prevent virus entry. 

11 minutes ago, Randyh said:

no - it's a terrible idea -they need to make more equipment ------subito presto

No argument there. Should have been re-supplied after the last event although I hear the orders were not made.....info could very well be B.S.