Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

22 minutes ago, Randyh said:

it would give the patient a 100%  clean air supply  and so a better chance of helping his immune system fight the virus , rather that possibly recirculating a virus that keeps on attacking  , over and over , if the equipment itself is "  dirty"   as we speak , and the current filters that  are in this equipment are not capable of eliminating the Covid 19 virus -----we have a problem --

Finding some good info here.

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Thanks. I do not believe you could run a cpap machine at separate levels tailored to 2 users. At best they’d both have to employ the exact same settings.

My point in attempting an analogy.

4 minutes ago, billybob said:

possibly recirculating a virus that keeps on attacking  , over and over

I am clueless but I assumed that a ventilator would intake ambient air, filtrate and deliver to patient not re-cycle the patients air.

14 minutes ago, USNRET said:

I see medical personnel, hospitals, mayors, governors, etc begging the federal government for ventilators, masks and shields. I would think that if there was a supply that the items would be arriving shortly. If there is not a supply in storage what can be done that has not already be done; increasing production as fast as possible.

Critical care ventilators can be pretty complex. But simple ventilation can be accomplished with a resuscitation bag and a talented clinician. If you consider diving regulators you can grasp that ventilator support can be somewhat simple. But these are not simple patients and their disease is so dynamic. Ideally they’ll get a modern ventilator and someone who really knows how to use it. Getting lots of new vents quickly won’t be easy. They need so many and all over the planet. It will take a WW2 mentality and commitment to even come close to filling the need for machines.........  as for competent folks to run them, thar’s the rub - especially when the existing staff gets sick or worn out.

Ironically in 2015 NYC conducted a pandemic study using the 1918-19 influenza model. The study concluded that NYC needed to have 15,000 ventilators at the ready. Needless to say - it was a study and resulted in no actual changes. But NYC certainly knew about their shortages because of that study.

• Like 1

Think I saw some separate dual

hose. Just update machine

capability on the dual setting.

If tech operating 2 

3 minutes ago, USNRET said:

I am clueless but I assumed that a ventilator would intake ambient air, filtrate and deliver to patient not re-cycle the patients air.

That is my understanding also.

Cannot recall that without more. 

7 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Hospital based ventilators are driven by compressed gas. You will have 2 lines, one is 100% oxygen, the other room air - both driven @ 50PSI. The ventilator will blend those gases to meet the settings required by the patient and determined by the clinician. The whole rig must work flawlessly 24/7. 

Some home based ventilators will draw from ambient room air.  

• Like 1

So blood gas is monitored in order to determine the O2 concentration and the ventilator must have the capability to adjust and deliver the correct concentration of (hospital grade) oxygen as well as pressure. As an aside we use ABO (aviator's breathing oxygen) which is just a dryer gas to prevent freezing.

9 hours ago, USNRET said:

So blood gas is monitored in order to determine the O2 concentration and the ventilator must have the capability to adjust and deliver the correct concentration of (hospital grade) oxygen as well as pressure. As an aside we use ABO (aviator's breathing oxygen) which is just a dryer gas to prevent freezing.

Blood gas studies assess oxygen and carbon dioxide tensions in arterial blood as well as acid base balance, carbon monoxide tension and methemoglobin and hemoglobin values. Arterial values assess lung function. Venous and mixed venous values collected simultaneously can derive a host of values regarding cardiac and hemodynamics. Add in measures of inhaled and exhaled oxygen and carbon dioxide tensions (plus their graphs) and I can determine details of lung physiology and metabolic physiology. And we can also measure cutaneous oxygen/carbon dioxide tensions continuously. 

O2 during flight was initiated to offset loss of oxygen at altitude and as a pressurized gas to manage the bends.  Honestly I cannot speak to using the gas to ‘prevent freezing’.

21 minutes ago, USNRET said:

I meant that ABO is drier to prevent freezing of the moisture in the gas

All compressed gases have water removed and are dry to keep their dispensing regulators from freezing.  Medical compressed gas lines are dry and require humidification prior to application. They’ll use dry gases in surgery most of the time. They can do that because surgery is a short term event.

It is sadly becoming real ugly with this virus. What a tragedy. Everyone remain vigilant and safe. Error on a very wide margin of safety. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They sent it out over our phones at ten `till eight this morning.

IMG-20200326-095815.jpg

It is quiet out there. A lot less air traffic too, it's like after 9-11 without the fighter jets screaming by all the time.

Past week I tightened up a little and I'm also shucking my clothes after errands. Actually took off my good clothes and put on the yardwork stuff back on the other day before I went out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnJ said:

It is quiet out there. A lot less air traffic too, it's like after 9-11 without the fighter jets screaming by all the time.

Past week I tightened up a little and I'm also shucking my clothes after errands. Actually took off my good clothes and put on the yardwork stuff back on the other day before I went out.

Put your clothes right in the washer, 

If not, use a separate basket, be careful with it and clean it with alcohol or bleach, aw jeeze, just put your clothes right in the washer. 

• Like 2

Our washer and dryer are just inside the back door, so you're right @tigerwoodKhorns that's where they went then I streak down the hall and put different non-contaminated clothes. Might just put a change of clothes on top of the dryer that's better when it's chilly in here!

Often been told about my grandfather who started his family in the 30s with my mom born in `35 how he came in after work. With the different bacterial and viral scourges back then, he would wash his hands, face and neck before coming to the dinner table. Gargled with salt water too, he did not even get a cold during the winters back then. Working outside for the power company with creosote on the power poles obviously he changed into clean clothes. Heck from the sound of what I just wrote I'm surprised if he didn't actually just shower before gathering with his family!

• Like 3

We here, as often in the world, we have great doctors, scientific and professor Raoult, but services wars are stronger than men: too bad

For those who can read French (or use an online translator)

https://www.marianne.net/politique/didier-raoult-et-le-milieu-medical-parisien-histoire-d-une-detestation-reciproque

Note: for your information, Professor Raoult is the researcher who said on February 24, 2020 to have discovered that chloroquine treats Covid 19 and that clinical trials must be done quickly.

• Like 1