Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

3 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Or the reporting that in fact over 21 million cell phones have gone "off the grid" in china. Not disconnected, just unused for weeks on end.  

Looked for corroboration, and I can't find any other than in sources widely known to spew alternative facts.  

• Like 1

I had to run some errands yesterday, and one of the places was home depot. I had gloves and a mask on, trying to sort through and find some plumbing bits for the garden. Not sure if it was the extra equipment, forced breathing through the mask, or just being stressed around other people, but I was dripping with sweat the whole time. Anyone else going though that?

I also observed that despite my best efforts, the ppe is nothing more than a facade at worst and at best a thinly veiled layer of protection if someone were to cough on me. The gloves were great for when I had to touch carts and product - but then I was having to wipe sweat off my face, adjust the mask, etc. Then it came to payment time and touching screens and scanners...and then digging in my pockets for cards or phone, which would then be contaminated by my gloved hands. Shit. I guess I could wear three or four layers of gloves and peel them off between each touch point? Presumably my n95 mask is ok until I encounter the virus and it becomes present on the mask surface. But how can I know? They're no longer available in stores, so I can't swap out like my box of gloves.

I'm not actually paranoid about this, but going through the thought exercise of actually making the ppe effective shows that it's marginally helpful in our day to day efforts and home isolation is the only real solution.

Morgan and the girls have been at home for two + weeks and I'm the only one going off the property at this point. I can get infected and likely pass it on before even realizing that I am, but at least it's minimizing the points of exposure in a fairly significant manner. I spend most of my day at work locked away in my office and am diligent when I utilize our public spaces within the building. Trying to keep store trips to a minimum, but even that proves difficult when trying to maintain levels of essential resources or activities back home.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

The gloves were great for when I had to touch carts and product - but then I was having to wipe sweat off my face, adjust the mask, etc. Then it came to payment time and touching screens and scanners...and then digging in my pockets for cards or phone, which would then be contaminated by my gloved hands. Shit. I guess I could wear three or four layers of gloves and peel them off between each touch point?

I had the same thoughts while at the store.  It seems futile.

13 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I had the same thoughts while at the store.  It seems futile.

If you actually take the time to watch just how many things are touched by one shopper in a grocery store you will crap your pants.

JJK

23 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

I had to run some errands yesterday, and one of the places was home depot. I had gloves and a mask on, trying to sort through and find some plumbing bits for the garden. Not sure if it was the extra equipment, forced breathing through the mask, or just being stressed around other people, but I was dripping with sweat the whole time. Anyone else going though that?

I also observed that despite my best efforts, the ppe is nothing more than a facade at worst and at best a thinly veiled layer of protection if someone were to cough on me. The gloves were great for when I had to touch carts and product - but then I was having to wipe sweat off my face, adjust the mask, etc. Then it came to payment time and touching screens and scanners...and then digging in my pockets for cards or phone, which would then be contaminated by my gloved hands. Shit. I guess I could wear three or four layers of gloves and peel them off between each touch point? Presumably my n95 mask is ok until I encounter the virus and it becomes present on the mask surface. But how can I know? They're no longer available in stores, so I can't swap out like my box of gloves.

I'm not actually paranoid about this, but going through the thought exercise of actually making the ppe effective shows that it's marginally helpful in our day to day efforts and home isolation is the only real solution.

Morgan and the girls have been at home for two + weeks and I'm the only one going off the property at this point. I can get infected and likely pass it on before even realizing that I am, but at least it's minimizing the points of exposure in a fairly significant manner. I spend most of my day at work locked away in my office and am diligent when I utilize our public spaces within the building. Trying to keep store trips to a minimum, but even that proves difficult when trying to maintain levels of essential resources or activities back home.

Imagine what the healthcare workers go through in their work. Isolation outfits do not dissipate heat well. You sweat terribly.

When I go to the store I take several of the sterile wipes usually located by the door. One is used to clean my hands and the cart surfaces, I pocket another one or two. Then as I go around and touch anything in the store I immediately resterilize the hands. Once out of the store I have wipes in the car and I clean up again. Once home I wipe down any purchases.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, billybob said:

Anything new on the early findings with the HydroxyCloriquine and Arithromyacin treatments for the virus... thanks

I suspect these drugs are not working as optimistically as hoped for. If they were we’d certainly be hearing a lot about it. There are other drugs trials that seem to offer good results and close to 100 in the pipeline according to Dr. Ben Carson. Lots of folks working on this. Read this morning that Fuji Film has a drug coming along. The feds have fast tracked all of these efforts to try and get some efficacious treatments that will be safe. It is complex chemistry and scaling up any of it for mass consumption will also be a challenge.

2 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

I suspect these drugs are not working as optimistically as hoped for. If they were we’d certainly be hearing a lot about it. There are other drugs trials that seem to offer good results and close to 100 in the pipeline according to Dr. Ben Carson. Lots of folks working on this. Read this morning that Fuji Film has a drug coming along. The feds have fast tracked all of these efforts to try and get some efficacious treatments that will be safe. It is complex chemistry and scaling up any of it for mass consumption will also be a challenge.

Fair enough. Read some not so good results with the one. Was hoping the Z-Pak addition changes results. Waiting for more. Thanks!

I received an Amazon delivery yesterday, not shipped from an Amazon warehouse, but directly from a vendor via USPS to my mailbox.  Return address was in Brooklyn, NY.  Just great!  Outer packaging went straight to the outdoor trash can.  Contents went to the back corner of the garage for at least a week.  Over reacting?  Or should we assume all mail and every delivery is infected, regardless of the source?

• Like 2

I received an Amazon delivery yesterday, not shipped from an Amazon warehouse, but directly from a vendor via USPS to my mailbox.  Return address was in Brooklyn, NY.  Just great!  Outer packaging went straight to the outdoor trash can.  Contents went to the back corner of the garage for at least a week.  Over reacting?  Or should we assume all mail and every delivery is infected, regardless of the source?
When I receive a package I handle it with gloves, and let it sit outside for a day or two, then I open it with gloves on. Next I take the contents, and let them sit outside for a day or two...then I bring them inside the house for use.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seadog said:

All outer packaging gets thrown away outside after it sits outside for two days. I have mixed up a bleach solution that I will be spraying down the outer packaging a day before I open it going forward. I have been disinfecting my mailbox with bleach every day as well. I received an order from mouser that will be sitting in the garage for awhile until I am ready to take every little bag out and clean with bleach. Then every component will get cleaned with 70% isopropyl before being soldered. 

Getting gas for my mower was an event. I opened my cans, and my gas cap before touching anything at the pump. Then, I put  on one glove. This was for the pump and the key pad. Once done the pump was hung up and the glove was thrown in the trash at the pump. Then a good scrub down of both hands with a disinfecting wipe, and the handles and door handles and debit card.

I don’t think it is paranoid. Unfortunately it is all necessary. Sadly each time we get mail, a package, groceries or gas our incubation clock potentially resets.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I like spraying the mailbox idea, doing it shortly. Use nitrile gloves for mail, leave in the garage for a couple days, spray gloves with bleach infused surface cleaner. Use gloves/spray at the pumps, Costco etc..

My daughter, nurse practitioner, is only able to use one mask a week, pissses me off. Lowe’s had masks a few days ago I’m heading there hoping to find her a few. 

• Sad 1