Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

last week I posted a video of a MIchigan doctor showing what to do with your groceries once you return from the store. I read today that he's getting criticized for saying to wash your fruit and veggies in soapy water. The Dept of Agriculture said NOT to wash them in soapy water (because they are porous) rinsing them under cold water is sufficient to clean them.  Now, the article didn't specify whether the dept of agriculture's statement was just a general statement or if rinsing it is enough to remove the virus. 

I guess that video was much like everything else we see these days ... one expert says one thing and another expert says the opposite. 

29 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

never had Canadian rye but definitely my favorite beer.

I learned a long time ago to NOT order 'rye' in the US in my travels. There is no comparison to

Canadian 'Rye'.  Seagrams VO is OK, Crown Royal is better and my favorite - Gibsons Finest Rare 18 year old.

There are many more but, bottom line is almost all Canadian rye's make your 'rye' taste like crap. IMHO

Enjoy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

last week I posted a video of a MIchigan doctor showing what to do with your groceries once you return from the store. I read today that he's getting criticized for saying to wash your fruit and veggies in soapy water. The Dept of Agriculture said NOT to wash them in soapy water (because they are porous) rinsing them under cold water is sufficient to clean them.  Now, the article didn't specify whether the dept of agriculture's statement was just a general statement or if rinsing it is enough to remove the virus. 

I guess that video was much like everything else we see these days ... one expert says one thing and another expert says the opposite. 

Not sure who said it the other day but I kinda agree. The word  "Futile" comes to mind. I need to wash each leaf of my romaine lettuce with soapy water or 80% alcohol or just drink the alcohol and forgo the wash, or the lettuce.

2 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

Given that the immune system becomes far less robust in later years the return to "normal" following introduction of a vaccine can be very prolonged (especially if there are underlying medical issues like diabetes, autoimmune conditions, cancer, or if abundant medications are used) which may explain why the elderly are hit so hard by the current virus.  I would like to see stats on how many of those severely affected by the virus have received annual flu shots vs. those who have not had any.

By the way, do you know the dosage/duration of treatment with Plaquenil when used for this virus?  Given its known toxicity to retinal tissue when used over long periods of time for conditions like RA and Lupus I'll be curious to see if any issues develop if used at extremely high doses to treat the virus.

By the way, are you in the medical field?

Maynard

Good points. There’s some paradoxes about covid19 and the ‘worst’ of its impact, that being ARDS. Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) is seen as an overreaction by the immune system....  as in ‘too’ much response. I’m guessing they’re going to rethink that with covid19 as an errant reaction instead. Many of the treatments being evaluated involve interrupting the ARDS cascade. 

I am a  Respiratory Care Practioner (RRT). The Mrs is an RN. Both of us cringe as we observe these events. What a living nightmare.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Good points. There’s some paradoxes about covid19 and the ‘worst’ of its impact, that being ARDS. Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) is seen as an overreaction by the immune system....  as in ‘too’ much response. I’m guessing they’re going to rethink that with covid19 as an errant reaction instead. Many of the treatments being evaluated involve interrupting the ARDS cascade. 

I am a  Respiratory Care Practioner (RRT). The Mrs is an RN. Both of us cringe as we observe these events. What a living nightmare.

Several doctors were saying that the immune system wasn't keeping up but other doctors said it was an overreaction by the immune system.  Your point on interrupting the ARDS cascade seems to make the most sense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seadog said:

I have seen some ventilator designs that kinda make me cringe. One is simply a resuscitation bag between a flapper paddle driven by an offset cam. You vary rate by how quick the cam cycles, depth by cam excursion....... but I to E ratios are fixed and I have no idea how they manage circuit flow. But you can make a machine that’ll breath for you fairly simply. Will it be therapeutic enough to care for an ARDS patient? And if you get a bunch of differently operating ventilators you will start to increase operator errors.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

saw a story about some female country singer that has the virus. She said she hadn't left her house for three weeks except for a handful of trips to the grocery store-- yet still managed to get infected. 

This can happen very easily.  Sorry to hear this. 

9 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Tapping on half way there with ~38,000, and we're only a few months in. CV19 has an exponential growth rate and the prediction charts are only accurate as what people's behavior / restrictions are. Without flattening the curve, the growth rate would double every day, or more. 

Pandemic death grow based on the Gompertz function, it's a s-shaped (Sigmoidal) that's asymmetric about the inflection point.  A simple exponential would predict millions of dead in a few months.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, John Warren said:

Pandemic death grow based on the Gompertz function, it's a s-shaped (Sigmoidal) that's asymmetric about the inflection point.  A simple exponential would predict millions of dead in a few months.  

You are right, and there is a reason, IMHO, that it can be that function: People must flatten the curve or it will remain an exponential function until we all either have it or are dead from it.  On the flip thought: I am wondering if it will be a cyclodial function.... We are in lock-down and the curve is flattened, then people relax and the boat wakes fan out again. 

Unilldissregardlessness, this is something that none of us have ever experienced. 

In the long run, I wonder what this will do to the availability of needed items and the cost of what is available. I have not been planting toilet paper plants, but am readying the other end of that need.