Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

2 hours ago, John Warren said:

Pandemic death grow based on the Gompertz function, it's a s-shaped (Sigmoidal) that's asymmetric about the inflection point.  A simple exponential would predict millions of dead in a few months.  

Well of course, we will run out of people.  But think about it, people can barely understand exponential growth, you want them to grasp this?

When I was studying engineering I thought that English and communications were silly.  Then when I started practicing engineering I grew to understand that communication is as important than the science, maybe even more, because if people cannot understand what you are trying to explain, it is worthless if the idea needs to be shared.  I always drafted my studies very clearly in plan English and I generally was able to obtain approvals more quickly than others.  Most engineers are very poor at writing (most, not all).  I now do the same with my contracts and negotiations go smoother.  

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6146175262001#sp=show-clips

Another Wuhan virus victim.  About 10 years ago I worked on a surgical saw system project team, and Dr. Goodrich was one of the surgeons that we brought in to evaluate our prototypes. He spent a day with us in our engineering labs.  A super nice guy and one of the world's best neurosurgeons. Very sad.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Randyh said:

Canadian beer is now very close to European-Belgian-German-Danish  beers - ales , lagers -  there are hundreds

You obviously don't know what you're talking about. Belgian beer is a class apart high up there... and then you have the rest of the world.

Putting Danish and German beer next to Belgian beer in the same sentence? Come on man. 

🙄😉

bieren.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The Belgium brewer Duvel bought our local brewer Boulevard Beer in the mid- 1980’s. Allowed for a great expansion project which has built quite a complex of brewery, tour facilities and meeting spaces. They have allowed Boulevard to continue with their highly reviewed beers and infusion of money has been benefitted a several square block section of the city.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ILI said:

You obviously don't know what you're talking about. Belgian beer is a class apart high up there... and then you have the rest of the world.

Putting Danish and German beer next to Belgian beer in the same sentence? Come on man. 

🙄😉

bieren.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, sputnik said:

We are #1, but not in good way.

21112.jpeg

I don't think the number of confirmed cases is a reliable parameter, too much depends on the amount of testing itself -> no tests = no cases. 

OTOH this curve is worrisome.

• Like 3

I wouldn't put too much stock in ANY data on Coronavirus. No doubt, lots of infected being sent home with a prescription and told to quarantine without "officially" being tested or reported.

See Chris A's first post on page 5 of this thread.

"The effect that this would have, I think (and Texas has a pretty good track record for public health relative to geographically adjoining states) is that under-reporting of non-hospitalizations during these "pandemics" is probably the norm."

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

This man knows his business!

Some classic beers are presented here!

• One of my favorites is the 'Kwak' (special glass with wooden handle): its name mimicks the sound it makes when the glass is half empty. Due to the form of the glass, a 'kwak' sound (onomatopea) will be heard. Also, it tastes amazing!
  • Second fave is 'Hoegaarden', an unfiltered white beer. Excellent when the weather is hot. Must be served in a frozen glass, with a slice of lemon.
  • One has to be careful with so called 'triple' beers: they contain triple the amount of alcohol of a Belgian 'Stella Artois'. For me, it means I can only drink 2 of them per night, or else I'm drunk.
  • The socalled 'Lambiek' beers have a special ingredient: cherries. Very fruity and sweet, in Belgium, mostly considered a beer for women, but with great respect!

Thanks for this video. It took my mind off corona for a while!

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

I wouldn't put too much stock in ANY data on Coronavirus. No doubt, lots of infected being sent home with a prescription and told to quarantine without "officially" being tested or reported.

See Chris A's first post on page 5 of this thread.

"The effect that this would have, I think (and Texas has a pretty good track record for public health relative to geographically adjoining states) is that under-reporting of non-hospitalizations during these "pandemics" is probably the norm."

Seems the best parameter is the number of hospital admissions and deaths.  Testing numbers will skew everything.  On the flip side, with a trajectory like that, if we continue to stop people from getting some of the needed medications (anecdotal maybe but better and dying in 50% of the cases) we will track a lot higher with the impact than Europe or other countries that don't take 2 yrs to decide if you will die or not from a medication before allowing use of it.

9 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Per population, we are in 27th place for the numbers of confirmed cases. We are in 21st spot in the numbers of deaths per population.

here is where I got the numbers.

Based on that information, we aren't doing to bad... I worry about the next few weeks when Mardi Gras and all the North Eastern folks spread around the US.  Good reason to stay home.

• Like 2

I found these in my garage.  First I was going to put on Craigslist to trade for C8, but then wife, who is in lockdown across town with dying 96yo mother, suggested giving to our neighbor, who is a nurse at William Beaumont Hospital.

Julie replied by text,

”OMG that would be amazing.  Thank you so much.  Thank you so much for thinking of me.  We are running out so fast at work.”

No, thank you Julie for providing care to others.

The Vette must wait.

E8FAEB55-6C8B-4C1E-9167-032F240D98F9.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Per population, we are in 27th place for the numbers of confirmed cases. We are in 21st spot in the numbers of deaths per population.

here is where I got the numbers.

I don’t think you’re reading the table correctly in the link you provided.

corrected edit: I looked again and on a per capita basis you’re correct.

The number of hospital admissions will be skewed low and not reflect the number of infections since hospitals will not admit non-urgent COVID patients referring those to their own physicians until they require hospital care.

The apparent beginnings of a potential flattening of the curve in the Seattle area that was reported earlier may be misleading. Several article out now concerning the flood of case data. The last data posted to the DOH on Tuesday the 31st, was from three days earlier, due to inability to process.