Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

11 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Not that I want to support China, especially over our needs. 18 tons is less than half a loaded class 8 legal truck weight. 

My practitioner daughter and her staff would have appreciated the opportunity to have a just a box or two of the of the 18 ton load,  don’t really care how much capacity it takes in a Class 8 truck. Her one standard mask and one N95 per week for seeing 20+ patients a day is a bit weak, wouldn’t you say? I went to Harbor Freight, who has since donated all their PPE gear and of course had none. Neither Lowe’s or HD. HF is taking requests for their donations to medical facilities and when I looked it was up to 45000 requests for need. I guess my daughter is shitt out of luck - 18 tons of 💩

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, richieb said:

Her one standard mask and one N95 per week for seeing 20+ patients a day is a bit weak, wouldn’t you say?

Yes, I agree. I am not saying it was the right thing to do. My comment on the amount was to show it was a tiny amount (If the shipment was 100% masks, it adds up that only one mask per 16 people in the medical field would get one mask, one time.) I further stated that I do not support any other country's needs before our own. Mistakes will be made. If I read it right, the 17.8 tons were sent on Feb. 7, when we only had 16 known cases in the US. No one knew that this was going to be such a mess. If I were in your shoes, I'd be p!ssed and worried too. I am truly sorry that you're daughter's supplies are inadequate, I hope that manufacturers can catch up with needs very soon and I thank her for the job she's doing. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Yes, I agree. I am not saying it was the right thing to do. My comment on the amount was to show it was a tiny amount (If the shipment was 100% masks, it adds up that only one mask per 16 people in the medical field would get one mask, one time.) I further stated that I do not support any other country's needs before our own. Mistakes will be made. If I read it right, the 17.8 tons were sent on Feb. 7, when we only had 16 known cases in the US. No one knew that this was going to be such a mess. If I were in your shoes, I'd be p!ssed and worried too. I am truly sorry that you're daughter's supplies are inadequate, I hope that manufacturers can catch up with needs very soon and I thank her for the job she's doing. 

No worries, wasn’t aimed at you, just the truck load comparison vs. documented need. More venting into space - and you were the spaceship —👽

And I could duplicate the same for police officer son — although his last squad car day was yesterday and was accepted into the detective unit. Some good news for the week —

• Like 2

I 've heard from a friend who works in Japan that the situation there is terrible. Japan's officials have been downplaying the numbers because they wanted to Olympic Games to happen this summer. To no avail, they are postponed to 2021.

But now their numbers are rising exponentially, esp. among the elderly. 

These numbers (see below) do NOT represent reality at all:

These are 'just' official numbers:

image.png.2a1b10d75130fc5653073e24b22b66f6.png

image.thumb.png.d039c0bf00ef8ef37891713189508543.png

This 2 April article seems to reflect the urgency of a lockdown:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/03/31/national/calls-grow-for-japan-state-of-emergency-over-coronavirus/ 

2 hours ago, richieb said:

Her one standard mask and one N95 per week for seeing 20+ patients a day is a bit weak, wouldn’t you say? I 

First, yes....  this really sucks for her/them.

It got me curious, so I went and asked the wife.  (She's got a stash of various things to use when she sands, paints, other...)

Found a couple (two) of these unopened.  I don't know if they're the required type, but if they are, and can be utilized....I'd be more than happy to drop them in the mail to you/her as an early Christmas present.

N95.jpg

• Like 3

Ooops - Elon Musk was happy to report that he’d purchased 1,000 ventilators and had donated them to the cause. Turns out that his ‘ventilators’ were bipap machines used for sleep apnea and not the sort of critical care ventilator needed. In a pinch a bipap machine can be used to support a patient but it would be a stretch.

Still this is consequential of too many souls not knowing precisely what is and is not a ‘ventilator’, especially one useful for severely diseased lungs. In the media I’ve seen isolation masks called ventilators, lots of different oxygen mask/hood devices called ventilators, and a Venturi system called a ventilator. It is none of those things.

A ‘ventilator’ used in critical care is capable of taking over complete control of ventilation (removal of CO2) and oxygenation - and offers a range of therapeutic modes which can be employed to maximize the efficiency of those goals - and (when applicable) can safely wean the patient off of mechanical support. Also it is important to understand that diseased lungs are complex. Getting the most from the interface without damaging the lungs requires a capable machine plus the knowledge of how to apply the machine to finesse gas exchange area from those lungs. It can be a fine line with one side being survival, the other death. Yes, you can overdo ventilator settings and do great harm. These are not toys.

Childbirth is the most common reason for hospitalization. Next in line is pneumonia. So there is a lot of experience treating pneumonia. But that requires a lot of care providers with a lot of specialized skills. Treating critical cases by the boxcar load will be very difficult.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

A ‘ventilator’ used in critical care is capable of taking over complete control of ventilation

Read something a few days ago that was from one of the medical journals (don't recall which) but it said that after seven days on a ventilator, patients required 12-months of "assistance" some couldn't even walk initially, and three months post ventilator a significant percentage suffered from PTSD.  

have you noticed similar complications after being on a ventilator for a week?

2 hours ago, Coytee said:

First, yes....  this really sucks for her/them.

It got me curious, so I went and asked the wife.  (She's got a stash of various things to use when she sands, paints, other...)

Found a couple (two) of these unopened.  I don't know if they're the required type, but if they are, and can be utilized....I'd be more than happy to drop them in the mail to you/her as an early Christmas present.

N95.jpg

So everyone knows Richards generosity I accepted his offer. I did make clear that he and his wife had adequate protection before I gave the ok. He assured me his situation was in control wherein I accepted. My daughter was thrilled with the generosity shown.

Thank You Sir —🙏😇

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

Read something a few days ago that was from one of the medical journals (don't recall which) but it said that after seven days on a ventilator, patients required 12-months of "assistance" some couldn't even walk initially, and three months post ventilator a significant percentage suffered from PTSD.  

have you noticed similar complications after being on a ventilator for a week?

In my experience there is no flat rule for the length of time required to recover from a ventilator episode. It is very patient specific. Generally speaking the healthier you were to begin with the easier time you’ll have afterwards. With regards to covid19 the disease itself can be pretty devastating and there may be long term consequences as well.

1 minute ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

In my experience there is no flat rule for the length of time required to recover from a ventilator episode. It is very patient specific. Generally speaking the healthier you were to begin with the easier time you’ll have afterwards. With regards to covid19 the disease itself can be pretty devastating and there may be long term consequences as well.

thanks.  not sure if being intubated means you are also on a ventilator, but years ago my mom got a breathing tube and the doctor said they didn't want her on it any longer than three or four days because it greatly increased the risk of pneumonia. 

12 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

thanks.  not sure if being intubated means you are also on a ventilator, but years ago my mom got a breathing tube and the doctor said they didn't want her on it any longer than three or four days because it greatly increased the risk of pneumonia. 

Being ‘intubated’ means that an airway has been placed that ‘sequesters’ the lungs. Often it is done for the purpose of placing the patient on a ventilator. But it can be done just to protect the airway and the lungs. Regardless by having the airway in play to do expose the lungs to factors that can lead to infection and/or other complications. But it is not absolute and many people use airways (tracheostomy tubes) permanently and do not suffer from chronic lung infections. You just need to take proper care of the airway and how those lungs are managed and that goes for the whole patient as well. There are lots of things in play for the critically ill.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Has anyone seen reliable information on how long the virus lives on various surfaces?

honestly, I don't even know what a reliable source is anymore. I've heard 24 hours on cardboard and 3 -4 days on metal and hard plastic. But, CDC said they found it on surfaces on the Diamond Princess 17-days later ... although they didn't say how virulent those were after that time. 

With the many different Corona Viruses in existence, I think they're making an educated guess based on what is known about the other ones. I read that some Corona viruses can last 9 days on a surface, but read that they don't think this current one is one that lasts that long. 

Not sure for something like a loaf of bread from the store ... can't soak that in water ... so I guess just wipe down the outside of the plastic bag? Unless you have a secondary container big enough to hold a loaf of bread. 

26 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Has anyone seen reliable information on how long the virus lives on various surfaces?

2 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

honestly, I don't even know what a reliable source is anymore.

+1 

I keep reading different and conflicting reports. 

Also, how long can it live on different surfaces and at what temperatures... 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

I've heard 24 hours on cardboard and 3 -4 days on metal and hard plastic.

More like 3 to 4 hours on paper and cardboard. 

Up to 4 days on hard surfaces. So a shopping trolley must be decontaminated for each customer! 

And don't lick doorknobs and elevator buttons like youngsters do in tiktok! 

Research paper:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/10.1056/NEJMc2004973

51 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

27 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

honestly,

I trust what Dr. Kim Woo-joo said before I trust the WHO or the CDC.. or any other gooberment talking head. He seemed to not have an angle other than straight forward, this is what we know so far...

If you ff to ~ the 10 minute mark, he talks about the life span on surfaces and temps..

• Like 1