Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

It is interesting to watch entrepreneurs scramble to cobble together life support ventilators. Ironically a very similar event took place long ago during the polio epidemics in the 20’s. The Emerson family from Cambridge, Massachusetts were descendants of Ralph Waldo Emerson and there were a great many professionals in their ranks......... with one notable exception. Jack Emerson never graduated high school but he was very mechanically intuitive. Other members of his family found his skills quite useful. Many were in research and if they needed something special they’d ask Jack for help...... and help he would. Look up the term ‘micro manipulator’ to see one of Jack’s many renown devices. 

Jack’s father was a physician and a public health officer. As such he was in the infectious disease ‘loop’. One year they were predicting a massive outbreak of the much feared polio virus. So he asked his son if he could devise something better than the then state-of-the-art ventilator. Jack went over to Massachusetts General hospital and inspected what was called an ‘iron lung’. It was a negative pressure chamber type ventilator that used a huge very noisy electric motor to generate the necessary vacuums required to make it work. It was so loud that they could only have no more than 2 per room. Jack looked it over and in less than a week had redesigned it into what became known as the new ‘modern diaphragm type iron lung’. He adopted the same principle only made the unit self-contained, quiet and insanely durable. This is the iron lung you predominantly see when you see pictures of hospital wards packed with iron lungs. He immediately captured the entire market.

There’s more to the story and more to what Jack Emerson accomplished. I knew the man as a cantankerous oldster. Currently I volunteer at the ‘Bird Aviation Museum’ that houses/displays one or the countries most comprehensive collection of vintage ventilators. Forrest Bird, M.D. was also a prolific inventor of ventilators and he also was a pilot, so he built the museum for collector planes and just tossed his ventilator collection and other scientific collections in with them. And we have a 70+ year old Emerson iron lung.......... and it still functions perfectly.

Will any of today’s ‘fast track’ ventilators be as effective and successful? I very seriously doubt so. From what I can ascertain many look like they’ll do more harm than good.

• Like 1

Some furniture maker here in Ohio actually designed a new type of ventilator.  Awaiting a patent and approval from the FDA so he can start mass production.  That's been fast-tracked by Gov De Wine.  Showed it yesterday and it's a fairly simple machine.  Regular price now?  $20k each and up.  He's going to sell his for $1k and will produce 5k a week.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Dave1290 said:

Some furniture maker here in Ohio actually designed a new type of ventilator.  Awaiting a patent and approval from the FDA so he can start mass production.  That's been fast-tracked by Gov De Wine.  Showed it yesterday and it's a fairly simple machine.  Regular price now?  $20k each and up.  He's going to sell his for $1k and will produce 5k a week.  

That American ingenuity is really kicking in. People, small biz making masks. Some are decent protection they say.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

It is interesting to watch entrepreneurs scramble to cobble together life support ventilators. Ironically a very similar event took place long ago during the polio epidemics in the 20’s. The Emerson family from Cambridge, Massachusetts were descendants of Ralph Waldo Emerson and there were a great many professionals in their ranks......... with one notable exception. Jack Emerson never graduated high school but he was very mechanically intuitive. Other members of his family found his skills quite useful. Many were in research and if they needed something special they’d ask Jack for help...... and help he would. Look up the term ‘micro manipulator’ to see one of Jack’s many renown devices. 

Jack’s father was a physician and a public health officer. As such he was in the infectious disease ‘loop’. One year they were predicting a massive outbreak of the much feared polio virus. So he asked his son if he could devise something better than the then state-of-the-art ventilator. Jack went over to Massachusetts General hospital and inspected what was called an ‘iron lung’. It was a negative pressure chamber type ventilator that used a huge very noisy electric motor to generate the necessary vacuums required to make it work. It was so loud that they could only have no more than 2 per room. Jack looked it over and in less than a week had redesigned it into what became known as the new ‘modern diaphragm type iron lung’. He adopted the same principle only made the unit self-contained, quiet and insanely durable. This is the iron lung you predominantly see when you see pictures of hospital wards packed with iron lungs. He immediately captured the entire market.

There’s more to the story and more to what Jack Emerson accomplished. I knew the man as a cantankerous oldster. Currently I volunteer at the ‘Bird Aviation Museum’ that houses/displays one or the countries most comprehensive collection of vintage ventilators. Forrest Bird, M.D. was also a prolific inventor of ventilators and he also was a pilot, so he built the museum for collector planes and just tossed his ventilator collection and other scientific collections in with them. And we have a 70+ year old Emerson iron lung.......... and it still functions perfectly.

Will any of today’s ‘fast track’ ventilators be as effective and successful? I very seriously doubt so. From what I can ascertain many look like they’ll do more harm than good.

Watched the American Experience on PBS earlier this week.

The 1918 flu epidemic

The Polio Vaccine (?)

Jonas Salk, iron lung, etc...

8 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

Patent just needs to be filed.

2 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Patent just needs to be filed.

Yea, but they're bare bones I'm thinking.  All the better for him if the Gov pushes it.  Thing was so simple it was amazing to watch it work.  Perfect every time.  I'll have to nose and share.  Every household will have enough @ $1k each.  lol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, richieb said:

the Governor of Alabama just issued a stay at home because he “didn’t realize how easily the virus can be transmitted”.

Who voted for this idiot?    Majority rules.

"A southern man don't need him around, anyhow"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

I will reserve my enthusiasm after I see some final results. ARDS with pneumonia results in some seriously compromised lungs that need some complex TLC to survive and heal. Consider that currently 66% of patients going on existing hospital ventilators do not survive. That’s a horrible statistic. I worry what will occur with basic bare bones equipment lacking pressure safety designs, etc.

True story: When medicine became better at delivering premature infants in the 60’s neonatologists required specialized ventilators just for these babies. Well industry responded and made ‘baby’ ventilators.......   and the babies did not do well. They died 75% of the time. What happened was ‘engineering’ by engineers. They took adult ventilators and scaled them down and made baby sized ventilators thinking that was the best solution. Nope. Then a physician sat down and from scratch designed and built a dedicated neonate ventilator. Bingo - the survival rate soared to over 90%.

There’s a great deal involved in devising these things and we’re hearing about companies and individuals pulling together new product willy nilly, engineered to be built en masse quickly. Eeeeew that’s kinda scary. Consider your own breathing. It is automatic and you don’t think too much about it. But you know that if you breathe deep and fast that you will make yourself dizzy. You are hyperventilating and you can hyperventilate yourself unconscious. So imagine yourself tethered to a machine doing your breathing for you. You are sedated and you are paralyzed. Whatever that machine does to you determines so many things. Done correctly and there’s no trouble. Done incorrectly, even for a brief period and you’ve got big trouble. There’s no wiggle room. Too much or too little for too long and it’s adios muchacho. Too much driving force and you blow out a lung. Not enough exhalation time and you air trap.... and blow out a lung. And so on.........

So whatever ventilators these folks are crafting-up had better be ginormously well thought out and well built because they have a ‘ginormously’ huge chore to accomplish. As for myself - I know what I would prefer if I was in need of mechanical ventilation.

• Like 3

Don't know if someone has previously posted this so here's my take:

Make sure that you are wearing a mask and gloves, assuming you've got them, when you travel outside your home. N95 Respirator Quality Masks work best as they can stop droplet inhalation when properly fitted down to 0.3 microns. The droplet size of a Covid 19 infected persons cough or sneeze is 0.12 microns but the N95 will still reduce your chances of getting infected by at least 50% (as the droplets tend to bind together and travel in close proximity (think of 3 football players all trying to squeeze through a doorway at the same time). Any mask, even homemade from multiple alternating layers of gauze will reduce your chance of getting infected. WRT Gloves, dishwashing gloves work well if you don't own or cannot obtain disposable gloves and dishwashing gloves can be washed or disinfected either with soap and water, hand sanitizer or a homemade mix of 50/50 mix of isopropyl alcohol and distilled water.

Mix the later in small batches as the efficacy drops off quickly (self-life is hours).

Keep your hands away from your face and stay safe!!

Wb

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Wolfbane said:

Don't know if someone has previously posted this so here's my take:

Make sure that you are wearing a mask and gloves, assuming you've got them, when you travel outside your home. N95 Respirator Quality Masks work best as they can stop droplet inhalation when properly fitted down to 0.3 microns. The droplet size of a Covid 19 infected persons cough or sneeze is 0.12 microns but the N95 will still reduce your chances of getting infected by at least 50% (as the droplets tend to bind together and travel in close proximity (think of 3 football players all trying to squeeze through a doorway at the same time). Any mask, even homemade from multiple alternating layers of gauze will reduce your chance of getting infected. WRT Gloves, dishwashing gloves work well if you don't own or cannot obtain disposable gloves and dishwashing gloves can be washed or disinfected either with soap and water, hand sanitizer or a homemade mix of 50/50 mix of isopropyl alcohol and distilled water.

Mix the later in small batches as the efficacy drops off quickly (self-life is hours).

Wb

I would bet 100 dollars that 99.99999999% of the people "do not" and "can not" adhere to that advise about hands to the face unless their hands are tied behind their back.

JJK

• Like 1