Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

10 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

So you are saying the trials do not involve outpatients?  Tell me more bout all the details then please.

Governor Cuomo determined several weeks ago to restrict the use of chloroquine to inpatients only ostensibly on concerns about supplies and misuse. So ‘trials’ in New York for covid19 are limited to inpatients for the time being.

I agree with others that the drug is no panacea but apparently works in some manner for at least some of the population. We certainly must learn more about how it works and how we can optimize its application. We could be doing better if we understood when, how and how much to use.

On another issue I read where Bush 2 had set up quite an extensive federal pandemic response program during his tenure which included massive reserves of the sorts of supplies now in such demand. Reportedly those emergency reserves got used and not replaced. Ah good ole hindsight - eh?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On another note...Did anyone here know that blowing smoke up your rear was a real thing ??? I always wondered where that came from. The historical evidence is it was a cure for drowning victims before we knew about modern day methods. A guy centuries ago was told by elders, when his wife drowned. After dragging her out and lifeless he filled his pipe, toked it up, inserted and blew. She came to instantly so it was "recorded". It's presumed the sparks burned and resuscitated....Believe it or not......

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Encouragingly NYC is reporting that fewer of its inpatients are requiring intubation. They seem to be curbing the severity of the disease in a general sense. Ironically governor Cuomo has restricted the use of chloroquine drugs to inpatients. 

There is more than one path to defining medical treatment. Fundamentally when urgency matters strict research protocols can be sidestepped as long as it can be done safely. No harm - no foul. Chloroquine is not voodoo. It is a long-standing drug that medicine has used safely for 1/2 century. 

Does it work? Well we do have a gauge - the media. The media is trigger happy, anxious to find and trumpet any story to discredit the federal government. If chloroquine definitely did not work we’d have 4 inch headlines proclaiming its failure. We do not see those. In fact currently what we have is nominal reporting and some of that is actually encouraging.

So if you have covid19, breathing 40 times a minute and still not oxygenating while on 100% oxygen then you decide for yourself whether trialing a safe experimental drug cocktail will save your life. As for myself - i won’t wait that long. We can complete the academic studies when the emergency is over. BTW there are many drugs being used in exactly the same manner as chloroquine. Chloroquine is only controversial be because of politics. It would seem likely that naysayers here would embrace chloroquine if it came to light from a different source. Politics indeed.

Ironically governor Cuomo has restricted the use of chloroquine drugs to inpatients. 

35 minutes ago, billybob said:

Ironically governor Cuomo has restricted the use of chloroquine drugs to inpatients. 

Classic.......we need more people in the hospital ????  I think Cuomo is trying, but is a victim of his echo chamber........Like I said way back, I saw this info posted LONG ago on youtube by a Dr. Why would it JUST RECENTLY be considered ??? This could have been DISPROVED BY NOW IF FALSE. Who are these Doctors, living in their own little world that care so little about EACH PERSON (only populations) that they were NOT trying this in JANUARY ?  In 2005 study it was considered treatment for SARS

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fish said:

Classic.......we need more people in the hospital ????  I think Cuomo is trying, but is a victim of his echo chamber........Like I said way back, I saw this info posted LONG ago on youtube by a Dr. Why would it JUST RECENTLY be considered ??? This could have been DISPROVED BY NOW IF FALSE. Who are these Doctors, living in their own little world that care so little about EACH PERSON (only populations) that they were NOT trying this in JANUARY ? 

Politics!

2 minutes ago, billybob said:

Politics!

I would never have believed it but......I think you're right. Is it possible a Dr would not try because of politics ? I sadly think yes, not always the reason though, but yes, some, even if they don't realize it. It is crazy the way this country has divided up even medicine. I'm can only imagine it's only a matter of time till we see a couple Docs dukin' it out.......

• Like 1

Just now, Fish said:

I would never have believed it but......I think you're right. Is it possible a Dr would not try because of politics ? I sadly think yes, not always the reason though, but yes, some, even if they don't realize it. It is crazy the way this country has divided up even medicine. I'm can only imagine it's only a matter of time till we see a couple Docs dukin' it out.......

Could see Gov. Of NYC doing outpatients soon, if not already in the works in this fastly changing scenario. There may not be a total escape from the political, but, it is not because I am not trying.

5 minutes ago, Randyh said:

yep and law suits ,   so he's threading a very fine line ----------but in the mean time -deaths are on the rise -because they refuse to give out quinine while China seems to have used it with great results ,  they are 1,4 billion plus - 

There will be time for bickering later. Just make it available.

• Like 1