Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

Sadly, in spite of our relatively recent history which includes the Spanish Flu, Polio, SARS, Ebola, MERS, etc., most medical schools no longer teach anymore the histories of Edward Jenner, Sabin and Salk. Nor do they teach about Banting, Best and the other researchers that developed insulin and then sold the patent for $1.

This needs to change!

Wb

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Influenza death statistics involve 10’s of millions of documented cases so the fatality rate is far less than covid19. If we should see the same number of covid19  cases as we do the flu we’d probably have close to - if not more - 1 million deaths. 

So can we dismiss comparing this to the flu?

Except to say: If you did not get your annual flu shot last fall, get it now if you can.

Wb

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Wolfbane said:

Except to say: If you did not get your annual flu shot last fall, get it now if you can.

Wb

Well a couple months ago when the wife was so sick and went to the doctor she was tested for the flu and was negative, so they gave her steroids and antibiotics and she got past it a couple weeks later, slowly at least over a few weeks. At that time they did give her the flu shot. We think she had the virus but no way of knowing except all the symptoms were exactly the same, she now has an oxygen machine to breath with when she sleeps. I was also sick for 2-4 days and got past it fast, but she is always worse with anything going around having auto immune deficiency. She is doing much better now.

We really think we have already had it, maby,  but still not taking any chances. I have never had a flu shot and had the flu once or twice in my life

• Like 2

Hospitals across the country overwhelmed !......NOPE, hospitals/health care across the country laying off, looks like. 10'S of thousands laid off. NO CUSTOMERS..........I'm starting to feel like I have not heard the REAL story of this  virus saga.......

2 minutes ago, Fish said:

Hospitals across the country overwhelmed !......NOPE, hospitals across the country laying off, looks like. 10'S of thousands laid off. NO CUSTOMERS..........I'm starting to feel like I have not heard the REAL story of this  virus saga.......

Did you fall asleep with your head on the keyboard?

2 hours ago, dtel said:

Well a couple months ago when the wife was so sick and went to the doctor she was tested for the flu and was negative, so they gave her steroids and antibiotics and she got past it a couple weeks later, slowly at least over a few weeks. At that time they did give her the flu shot. We think she had the virus but no way of knowing except all the symptoms were exactly the same, she now has an oxygen machine to breath with when she sleeps. I was also sick for 2-4 days and got past it fast, but she is always worse with anything going around having auto immune deficiency. She is doing much better now.

We really think we have already had it, maby,  but still not taking any chances. I have never had a flu shot and had the flu once or twice in my life

Serology testing should be coming shortly and that will determine who has antibodies and whom does not. The reason to get a flu shot now is symptoms can be close to those related to the Wuhan Virus and to keep you from catching this season's flu strain(s). It should also keep you the heck away from over-crowded and busy ER's, less than plentiful hospital beds and contributes to herd immunity.

Your potentially mild case of the flu can kill someone exposed to you who has not been vaccinated because they are immune compromised and could not get the shot for this legitimate reason.

Wb

I think it's about Money....

Hospitals have taken huge revenue losses as they postpone elective surgeries and other routine care so they can make more staff and space available for the Covid-19 response. Some hospitals expect to lose half their income, and the top industry trade groups have warned that hundreds of hospitals could close after this crisis.

7 hours ago, Deang said:

Well, you could start by looking at the places that waited too long, and compare them to the places that didn’t. There is no doubt as to how how bad it could have been.  

Wuhan was on lockdown for 76 days. They are now getting ready to lockdown Hubei.

Do you mean Suifenhe City in the Province of Heilongjiang (SE China)? I've seen nothing about shutting down their Province of Hubei where the city of Wuhan is situated. What I've read on-line today is that people are fleeing from Wuhan like fleeing is going out of style!

Wb

1 hour ago, MyOwn said:

Some hospitals expect to lose half their income, and the top industry trade groups have warned that hundreds of hospitals could close after this crisis.

I think that could be true.

My wife's hospital in Ohio has had a huge cutback on the very lucrative surgery business.  She has speculated her hospital might go bankrupt.

The number one financial drain on most hospitals is the ER (now called the ED).  The wife also says there is a major reduction in ER visits, so I don't know what to think. 

18 hours ago, Wolfbane said:

Wb

I guess you guys didn’t read the following study which I posted awhile ago:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31607599

Given the likelihood that influenza vaccine increases susceptibility to Coronavirus it is the last thing a person should do.  Other studies have confirmed this as well, and it has been known for years.

Maynard

• Like 2