Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

• Moderators
On 4/12/2020 at 8:52 PM, USNRET said:

Is this the wrong place to ask? Corona related

Son attends Texas A&M College Station.
He lives in apartment not affiliated with A&M except that the apt. corp. leased the dirt for 30 years from TAMU. 
He (we) signed a lease for one year 8/2019 to 8/2020.

He decided to move from a 2 bd to a 4 bd to share with his high school buds for Fall 2020 term (another year).
Discount if you sign lease early on the new place early so I did. BS charges but that's another story.

During spring break in March ( date?) the virus hit and in person classes were canceled.

Now that there are only online classes I am paying $700 a month for the apt and the boy is living at home.
The complex refuses to refund/reduce current lease. 
The complex refuses to nullify upcoming 8/2020 -8/2021 lease
Word (web rumor) is that TAMU summer 2020 will be online only and those courses have been loaded.

Do I even stand a chance of getting a refund or lease(s) nullified due to My Corona?

I'd pay a $ or 2  to our forum litigators 

@WMcD is correct, need to look at the lease's force majure clause. Lease's are typically one sided in the owner's favor, however, there are going to be many, many people in the situation as you and that give you a bit if leverage with the the school, even though not the owner/operator of that housing. 

Force majeure events typically enumerated in contracts include:

1. acts of God, such as severe acts of nature or weather events including floods, fires, earthquakes, hurricanes, or explosions;
  2. war, acts of terrorism, and epidemics;
  3. acts of governmental authorities such as expropriation, condemnation, and changes in laws and regulations;
  4. strikes and labor disputes; and
  5. certain accidents. Economic hardship typically is not enough to qualify as a force majeure event on its own.

You typically have to give notice, and this is something you want to have the assistant of good counsel.

If you breach the lease, how difficult will it be to find housing if thing are back up and running full speed in the fall? Are you looking at having to pay considerably more?

This isn't really my bailiwick, and @Jeff Matthews may have some suggestions (and he really hates TAMU).

4 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Well, some people called BS early. Will it turn out to be exactly that?

I watched this and it 's very informative to hear an alternative voice. 

In Belgium, where I live, some people say something similar, but don' 't get to the mainstream media. Some f.i. blame the G4/G5 cellphone network for the bad condition of our immune system. 

If Dr Shiva is right, it means that this pharmaceutical lobby has brought the world' s economy to its knees. It is so radical it is scary. 

Only a few countries didn't follow the WHO , at first, like the Dutch, the UK, Sweden and Brasil. The Dutch and the UK quickly changed course. 

We'll have to wait a long time imp before we'll know who is right here. 

• Moderators
On 4/10/2020 at 5:10 PM, Wolfbane said:

The Electron Microscope did not exist before its development in Germany in the mid to late 1930's. Microscopes, as they existed in 1917 through 1920 did not have the resolution to see the Avian Virus that is suspected to be responsible for the Greatest Pandemic of the 20th Century.

Light microscopes still don't have the resolution to see viruses many are only 30 to 100  nanometers in size (millionths of a millimeter). Averege size of bacteria, 1 to 10 microns.

Viruses were theorized, in the late 1800s, first by Ivanofsky with the tobacco mosaic virus. He was able to deduce this by running a sap/water combination from diseased plants  through a Rutherford filter (developed by R., a student of Pasteur's, that was capable of filtering out all bacteria). Even after filtration something smaller than bacteria was getting through and causing the disease was what his work uncovered.  Ivanofsky was able to deduce that there were pathogens much, much, smaller than bacteria.

The Tobacco Mosiac virus was visually confirmed with the invention of the electron microscope. 

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, ILI said:

If Dr Shiva is right

How could anyone doubt the man who invented email?

He claims you can beat it with vitamins. 

He isn't right when it comes to this disease, we all know that. However, some people just can't pass up a good conspiracy and they watch on.

I guess the anti-vaxxer vote is still up for grabs.

Look a squirrel. That gets our Rat Terrier every time.

• Like 1