Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

1 hour ago, ILI said:

"Based on results of the first round of testing, the research team estimates that approximately 4.1% of the county’s adult population has antibody to the virus. "

Similar study in Belgium comes to a percentage of 3%. Samples were taken before lockdown and strickt social distancing. So numbers should be around 5% now.

It means 'herd immunity' is nowhere near (60%), so we all must wait it out until a vaccine is provided....

Is that good news?

The study’s lead researcher, USC Public Policy Professor Neeraj Sood, said in a statement that their study’s early estimates suggest that “we might have to recalibrate disease prediction models and rethink public health strategies". “We haven’t known the true extent of COVID-19 infections in our community because we have only tested people with symptoms, and the availability of tests has been limited”.

”If the researchers’ estimates are correct, the fatality rate in the county could range from around 0.14% to 0.28% — far lower than the 4.5% found by looking at only the current confirmed cases in the county (13,817 cases, 617 deaths) or the 3.7% by looking at confirmed cases and deaths in the state (28,964 cases, 1,072 deaths). As a comparison, the fatality rate of the flu is around 0.1%.

• Like 1

Anyone got this answer?  How long will this virus live on the sidewalk?  My brother has to go to the hospital today for a CAT scan that the doctor says is essential and worth the risk. I suggested filling this spray bottle with alcohol and spraying his shoes upon return; but He says he'll just leave his shoes outside when he returns; but Saturday afternoon, I have a grocery delivery arriving. The delivery folks put the groceries on the walkway right outside my door, in the same area that everyone unavoidably walk on. Being in an apartment, I can't hose down the walkway, which is 100% in the shade, 100% of the time. 

Anyone know if this will live for days on an outside cement sidewalk?

would being concerned about this be going too far?  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

Anyone got this answer?  How long will this virus live on the sidewalk?  My brother has to go to the hospital today for a CAT scan that the doctor says is essential and worth the risk. I suggested filling this spray bottle with alcohol and spraying his shoes upon return; but He says he'll just leave his shoes outside when he returns; but Saturday afternoon, I have a grocery delivery arriving. The delivery folks put the groceries on the walkway right outside my door, in the same area that everyone unavoidably walk on. Being in an apartment, I can't hose down the walkway, which is 100% in the shade, 100% of the time. 

It can survive up to 3 days, but on day 3 the chance of contamination is really low.

However, shoes ARE a problem and a source of contamination, esp. because elderly people need help to change shoes. Also, people often take all the necessary precautions (social distance, mask, etc) but forget their shoes.

Cleaning them with a soap and water, the sole included, will go a long way in disinfecting the shoes. Test first, because soap (and alcohol) may damage the fabric or leather.

BTW, also when you go to the supermarket, you need to do this. In fact, do this everytime you return home.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JefDC said:

The caption of the picture says: "Despite the possible protective effect, smokers who have caught Covid-19 often develop more serious symptoms."

... let's not help the tobacco lobby...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billybob said:

Going to pickup some more Zinc lozenges.

The lozenges are usually used when an infection has started to - mitigate its severity. Using them proactively - I am unsure of their value. Just be careful as they also have side effects.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

The lozenges are usually used when an infection has started to - mitigate its severity. Using them proactively - I am unsure of their value. Just be careful as they also have side effects.

Used at first to build some Zinc level, taking just 1 a day. More was allowed. Use one after shopping for any preventative benefit at back of throat, per one doctor

Out now and keeping taking vitamins which has some. May just get another pack of 14 to have on hand. 7 mg. Per lozenge.

• Like 2

• Moderators
5 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Too early in the morning for me  Elden.  I was amazed at the long string without any of your charming creative spelling before I realized it was a pasted quote.

Thank you, it's a trademark, a signature, ok just a habit. 

My wife gets on me, she says people are going to think your stupid, ha like I care.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, billybob said:

Going to pickup some more Zinc lozenges.

best way to boost the immune system is to buy ----REDOXON with Zinc -formula , it takes one tablet per day , for a period of 1 week for improvements -

• Like 1

• Moderators
Thank you, it's a trademark, a signature, ok just a habit. 

My wife gets on me, she says people are going to think your stupid, ha like I care.

It’s annoying, but you know that already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, DMH said:

The study’s lead researcher, USC Public Policy Professor Neeraj Sood, said in a statement that their study’s early estimates suggest that “we might have to recalibrate disease prediction models and rethink public health strategies". “We haven’t known the true extent of COVID-19 infections in our community because we have only tested people with symptoms, and the availability of tests has been limited”.

”If the researchers’ estimates are correct, the fatality rate in the county could range from around 0.14% to 0.28% — far lower than the 4.5% found by looking at only the current confirmed cases in the county (13,817 cases, 617 deaths) or the 3.7% by looking at confirmed cases and deaths in the state (28,964 cases, 1,072 deaths). As a comparison, the fatality rate of the flu is around 0.1%.

Yes big circle, where are the tests? 

"We won't know until there is more testing" was repeatedly stated by the lead experts. That's on cases and deaths.

LA County is young, young, young. That's meaningless. What's YOUR age, and what's death rate for that group. What comorbidities do YOU have, factor that in.

"We won't know until we have prospective randomised trials." That's on the drugs, should have some of those by next month.

• Moderators
Anyone know if this will live for days on an outside cement sidewalk?

Using proper precautions spray the shoes, tops and bottoms. Once disinfected move them to a closet, bathroom or other area.

Spray walkway area after shoes are moved. Be sure to use proper guidelines when bringing groceries in and putting them away. [mention]BigStewMan [/mention]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1