The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
CECAA850

More on.Corona Virus

6 minutes ago, Randyh said:

well , I can only tell you what I see with my own eyes and how families , I know who live there have seen immense changes  , they are now much better off than they used to -  now when you live in China , Big Brother is not a concern  for the common man -  it is their day to day life that counts and  100%  there is no comparison between 1974 and 2020 ,  it is a radical change for the better ----light years ahead , and every trip I take , I am amazed as how fast the changes are for the better , for the average person -----   the rich are however , in  another class of their own , money and influence certainly increases all the time -

Hong Kong and Taiwan are models of what China's path could have been.  While things for many Chinese are improving (provided that go along and don't make waves), there are entire classes of people who are suffering more. 

The mass detentions of Uyghurs and Falun Gong are 2 examples.  I won't pretend to know the complete truth of the extent of the human rights violations, but I routinely see reputable sources report that up to 2 million people have been put in re-education detention centers and forced to assimilate to Han culture and perform forced labor. 

Organ harvesting is widely reported, too.  I have seen exposes/documentary footage (which I would hope were fake news), where actual arrangements of the organ harvesting process are being discussed and recorded.  You can pay something like $50,000 for a heart/kidney/etc., and it will be guaranteed to be healthy.  If it the transplant fails, you get another within a week.  You can pick your schedule.  There is no shortage.  They just pick a detainee with the right blood type (which they maintain records of), and "that's it."

I could not imagine living in a society with these sorts of practices and just having to go on about my day and ignore it. 

14 minutes ago, Randyh said:

Actually the Chinese immigration is non-stop out of China , they are leaving China and coming to North America as fast as they can , because living in China has become plain prohibitive ---the cies who open factories in China GM-Ford- etc sell more cars in China per year than the entire world combined -name me , 1 American Cie who does not have offices in China - Klipsch-Eminence-JBL-  etc - - I dont see them complain about human rights , because they are getting better -

Yet, change overall comes with a price. Now it seems like the regime has been forced underground due to the counter measures taken to disentangle

what occurs, not in the light of day.

Just doesn't appear to be a rosy

Walk in the park, contrary to what 

It appears to be on the surface.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Randyh said:

have offices in China - Klipsch-Eminence-JBL-  etc - - I dont see them complain about human rights , because they are getting better -  Because they are making money.

Fixt it for you

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

You can go straight to the source of their website if you like and also draw your own conclusions, but how is reading someone's own public persona and advertisements any more, or less biased?

interesting point. my gut reaction is that people that are without bias (which I would say is extremely rare) probably aren't publicly commenting on matters of any subject, on this forum or any media outlet. 

Shame on me for referencing an organization that I really didn't know much about. But, I have heard first hand, from someone that lives there, of what they face from that authoritarian regime, so my bias led to conclude that Freedom House was probably more right then wrong on this. No desire to go to China to find out for myself. 

• Like 2

On 4/13/2020 at 3:56 PM, billybob said:

Yet, change overall cones with a price. Now it seems like the regime has been forced underground due to the counter measures taken to disentangle

what occurs, not in the light of day.

Just doesn't appear to be a rosy

Walk in the park, contrary to what 

It

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

You have to wonder what the credentials are of the person writing that article.

that is correct, although I was making a joke ... I often do a small bit of research of an article's author (not always evidenced by my earlier post). Someone once sent me an article about race relations in the USA. I looked up the author to see some of his other writings ... it was a long list of one-sided articles, proof to me that his articles clearly weren't unbiased observations. 

I think most people have agendas regardless of the topic, but when someone is 100% negative about a person (for instance) to me that puts their credibility in question. 

If every time person A said something to you about person B and it was something negative, it shouldn't take long for you to realize that they have a problem with person B.  So, for me, I don't pay much attention to their rants about person B -- and while person B may be an jerk, I consider person A to be a jerk too. But, I'm weird ... I'm more interested in someone's reaction than I am to the actual event. 

dang, how did I go from a joke to a serious statement so quickly?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Randyh said:

if the regime ever tries to take over Taiwan  , it will mean a point of no return , until then , we are watching -

Hong Kong?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Randyh said:
14 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Fixt it for you

Because they are making  huge loads of money.

Glad we got that taken care of 🙂

• Like 2

18 hours ago, USNRET said:

Is this the wrong place to ask? Corona related

Son attends Texas A&M College Station.
He lives in apartment not affiliated with A&M except that the apt. corp. leased the dirt for 30 years from TAMU. 
He (we) signed a lease for one year 8/2019 to 8/2020.

He decided to move from a 2 bd to a 4 bd to share with his high school buds for Fall 2020 term (another year).
Discount if you sign lease early on the new place early so I did. BS charges but that's another story.

During spring break in March ( date?) the virus hit and in person classes were canceled.

Now that there are only online classes I am paying $700 a month for the apt and the boy is living at home.
The complex refuses to refund/reduce current lease. 
The complex refuses to nullify upcoming 8/2020 -8/2021 lease
Word (web rumor) is that TAMU summer 2020 will be online only and those courses have been loaded.

Do I even stand a chance of getting a refund or lease(s) nullified due to My Corona?

I'd pay a $ or 2  to our forum litigators 

FWIW...

For all my career, I've drafted/reviewed "God knows how many" contracts with force majeure clauses.  I have litigated many provisions in contracts, but I have never had a controversy where a force majeure clause was invoked.

Wiki provides a rudimentary analysis.  Essentially, a "force majeure" (a/k/a Act of God) will not excuse performance of contractual obligations unless the contract expressly contains a force majeure clause and describes the particular act/event which would trigger it.

However, there is the common law of "frustration of purpose.

You can bet your bottom dollar, a lot of disputes will hit the courts over the extent to which this pandemic excuses performance.  Already, we've tread into murky waters over Constitutional violations by federal, state and local governments.  

We''ll have to see how it pans out.

• Like 1

I went back and read the contact; no such clause is in there. I can ask permission to get out of the upcoming August lease but it's up to them to grant. Son tells me that there are already rumors about Fall 2020 being online as well. That frustration of purpose seems to fit. Every resident MUST be enrolled at TAMU C.S. what the point of living there if there are no classes to attend.

Anyway I knew I was doomed to pay 3 more months but I have to really consider asking now to be released for the next year. Would suk if classes were held as it's a nice place and walking distance to campus.

28 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

interesting point. my gut reaction is that people that are without bias (which I would say is extremely rare) probably aren't publicly commenting on matters of any subject, on this forum or any media outlet. 

Shame on me for referencing an organization that I really didn't know much about. But, I have heard first hand, from someone that lives there, of what they face from that authoritarian regime, so my bias led to conclude that Freedom House was probably more right then wrong on this. No desire to go to China to find out for myself. 

Exactly.  They were also wrong on apartheid and many Latin American dictatorships.  Notice the 85% funding from our government.  As you point out, except for actual facts, a lack of bias is extremely rare.

4 minutes ago, USNRET said:

I went back and read the contact; no such clause is in there. I can ask permission to get out of the upcoming August lease but it's up to them to grant. Son tells me that there are already rumors about Fall 2020 being online as well.

Here's what usually happens in deals like these:

Client makes a judgment call.  Stops paying and hopes he never gets a demand letter from landlord.  If he does, he makes a decision.  Pay or don't.  If he doesn't, he hopes he isn't sued.  If he's sued...

You get the idea.  Sometimes, it pays to default; other times, a default costs you more than if you paid in the first place.

3 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

If he's sued...

Goodbye clearance, goodbye access to facility, goodbye job. Homeland Sec folks are tough on financial matters

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Goodbye clearance, goodbye access to facility, goodbye job

Interesting!  I didn't know that high security clearance meant you had to roll over every time you get sued.  

22 minutes ago, Wolfbane said:

The WHO and transparency:

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/5e8d196323eec60017f0ee31

This politically correct clown is from Canada (Dr. Bruce Aylwardand has had his entire WHO history scrubbed from the WHO web site. Now if could also make his photographs disappear Stalin would approve.

Wb

Well blaming doctors on a committee, looks like a deflection from the taking of responsibility when you are in charge. Biasness towards China run amuck?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Wolfbane said:

The WHO and transparency:

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/5e8d196323eec60017f0ee31

This politically correct clown is from Canada (Dr. Bruce Aylwardand has had his entire WHO history scrubbed from the WHO web site. Now if could also make his photographs disappear Stalin would approve.

Wb

And Poof‼️ he reappears, but not as quickly as he disappeared! Now listed at the bottom of the page (below even that of a dead guy from Australia).

Wb

• Like 1