Subwoofer Amp Recommendations

SemperFiAg08

I built a Walnut-veneered F20 about two years ago, and while I LOVE the way the sub sounds, I've been really letdown with the amp I chose. I've been using a Dayton SPA-500 plate amp to drive it, and I've had to send it in for repairs because the amp will thump pretty regularly after the amp has warmed up (even without the source connected). I'm already not a fan of the fact that there's no way to defeat the "auto-on" and it has kicked off during movies and shows, and as soon as it comes back from repairs, it'll be listed (in case anyone is interested). I'm looking for a replacement for it, and I'd like something that's a stand alone (to appease the wife), preferably class D, 200-300W, and ideally with a 12V trigger.

I've looked at a few options, but there's no solid reviews on anything, so here's what I've already considered, but please weigh in on these or anything else I should consider:

-TPA3116 mono amplifier (ebay)

-Monoprice SWA-200/400

-OSD Audio SMP 200/300

-Paradigm X-300 (used)

I've read about Crown and similar amps, but I'm looking for something that's not overkill. 200-300W meets what I need with a sub this large. I've searched the forum, so if there's already a post, I must have not searched the right terms.

I'm now using three of these for my system, one of which is dedicated to two tapped horn subs. It's only been a couple of weeks, so I can't give long term feedback but so far they've been really solid and sound good on my subs, LF, and HF drivers. Auto-on/off circuitry, class D, quiet, energy efficient and a small footprint.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lab-Gruppen-E-Series-4-2-400-Watt-2-Channel-Amplifier-2x200-Watt-Free-Shipping/254518048622?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

They've got some sort of dynamic power load balancing between the channels, so with one sub you'd be able to utilize the full 400W of power in the amp, which is more than plenty. I purchased from this specific seller and they shipped securely, fast, and included all of the phoenix connectors as described.

10 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

I'm now using three of these for my system, one of which is dedicated to two tapped horn subs. It's only been a couple of weeks, so I can't give long term feedback but so far they've been really solid and sound good on my subs, LF, and HF drivers. Auto-on/off circuitry, class D, quiet, energy efficient and a small footprint.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lab-Gruppen-E-Series-4-2-400-Watt-2-Channel-Amplifier-2x200-Watt-Free-Shipping/254518048622?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

They've got some sort of dynamic power load balancing between the channels, so with one sub you'd be able to utilize the full 400W of power in the amp, which is more than plenty. I purchased from this specific seller and they shipped securely, fast, and included all of the phoenix connectors as described.

I'll take a look at these this evening. Thanks for the rec. I'd love to do dual F20, but somehow I don't think the wife would approve...lol.

10 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

They've got some sort of dynamic power load balancing between the channels, so with one sub you'd be able to utilize the full 400W of power in the amp

I don't believe that's true.

There is no low pass filter either.

25 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I don't believe that's true.

based on? From the manual:

image.png.f28dbec2dbfa85779d7b9f068e465c61.png

Here's a snippet of various load combinations:

image.thumb.png.e01e751252715ca0eb93a201190ed518.png

26 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

There is no low pass filter either.

That is accurate. They do have a 50Hz high pass that you can engage, however.

I use the Crown XLS1002 to drive two Exodus Anarchy tapped horn subs, which keep up with my laScala at relatively loud levels. Crown claims 700 watts into 8 ohms bridged, or 215 dual. It has a high pass filter at 80 Hz and rudimentary DSP. Remote power trigger.

This amp is available for around $340 retail. I got mine for $250 from the Amazon warehouse (open box return) with a full warranty. So far a year of service with no issues. 

I am running a Crown XLS2505 on my TH Spuds, currently bridged on one, but will soon be ran as 1 channel in, 2 channel out, decreasing the power.  Since the amp gain is barely turned up, I don't think power is going to be an issue.  This is plugged in to a Niles AC3 12 volt trigger controlled by the AVR.  No turn on thump, no fan noise, works great.  I prefer this over the Behringer I had, even with the fan mod.

6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I don't think power is going to be an issue.

That's a key thing to remember with these subs as well - I successfully ran mine off an emotiva 50 wpc amp for a while when my first plate amp died. They don't need tons and tons of power to move air.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

That's a key thing to remember with these subs as well - I successfully ran mine off an emotiva 50 wpc amp for a while when my first plate amp died. They don't need tons and tons of power to move air.

That's why I'm looking for less than 500W. Barely had the gain up 1/3 the way. Currently, I've got the sub plugged into the spare channel on my Rotel amp (100WPC), and it's enough, but I'd like a little headroom to drive it a bit. 200-300W should be more than enough for me.

On 3/11/2020 at 10:06 AM, DrumNBassNThePlace said:

Corwn k2. It does have the sleep function you mention, but thay can be disabled.   Incredibly tight bass from high damping factor, no fans and cheap used.

Pretty sure you meant K2.  That's WAY overkill.  The K1 would be overkill as well.

@SemperFiAg08 when you come over this weekend, I'll send an amp back with you to play with.

• Like 1