First klipsch - Cornwall III vs IV

sjenriquez

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and soon to be new to Klipsch. I tried searching but haven't found a thread specifically on this topic - Cornwall III vs IV.

I can pick up a set of III's for a good price, but I'm wondering if I'll kick myself for not getting IV's if they're a big improvement. I like keeping things for a long time instead of a lot of swapping. Unfortunately I can't hear IV's in person. Any thoughts from those who have heard both?

Scott

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, sjenriquez said:

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and soon to be new to Klipsch. I tried searching but haven't found a thread specifically on this topic - Cornwall III vs IV.

I can pick up a set of III's for a good price, but I'm wondering if I'll kick myself for not getting IV's if they're a big improvement. I like keeping things for a long time instead of a lot of swapping. Unfortunately I can't hear IV's in person. Any thoughts from those who have heard both?

Scott

The IV, by a country mile, but if you want the last pair of III's ever made and signed by everyone at plant let me know.

Travis

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sjenriquez said:

Wondering if it’s past the point of diminishing returns, but maybe this is the wrong question to ask, haha.

III is good. IV is better. Only you can decide if it's diminishing returns. You can't listen through someone else's ears.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The III had too much cabinet resonance for my tastes (of which most owners of them either denied, did not notice or actually preferred). I have found getting honest, critical assessment of ANY Klipsch product futile here on the fanboi site. I would love to get a non-hyped, honest DETAILED comparison between the III and IV, other than "it's better".   My hope is to one day get a Heritage design that has a completely sonically "invisible" cabinet.  A Cornwall or La Scala that completely disappears like the best British monitors or electrostats would be what I am after.   Right now the closest I can get is Forte I and it is not nearly close enough. 

I would love to audition a AL5 or Cornwall IV in my home, but I would feel guilty returning them if I did not like them. Due to the shipping costs would be damaging to the store that allowed for this. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kink56 said:

I would love to get a non-hyped, honest DETAILED comparison between the III and IV, other than "it's better".

You can't listen through someone else's ears. Only you know what suits you. You must listen for yourself.

2 minutes ago, kink56 said:

I have learned to not ask for opinions about audio equipment as it comes to sonics THE HARD WAY.

I used to read and trust Stereophile, until one day I noticed that every single loudspeaker that they adored, I hated. Eventually I spotted a trend ...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kink56 said:

I would love to get a non-hyped, honest DETAILED comparison between the III and IV, other than "it's better".   My hope is to one day get a Heritage design that has a completely sonically "invisible" cabinet. 

Since my response yesterday I've been giving this some thought. So even though you can't listen through my ears, maybe I can still describe my impressions without getting into audiophile jargon.

For over twenty years I've had a pair of Legacy Focus in my living room. They are not perfect, but to my ears they offer some of the best midrange performance that I have ever heard. In addition, they easily go down below 25 Hz, which is pretty much the limit of my hearing.

We auditioned most of the Heritage line last October in Hope, both old and new. The Cornwall IV was the only one that matched the midrange performance of my Legacy Focus. However, the CW4 absolutely annihilated the Focus for dynamics. The Focus reach almost an octave deeper than the CW4, but on most music that's not really noticeable.

I am trying to figure out a way to afford a pair of CW4, to replace my beloved Focus.

Is that helpful?

Edited by Edgar
spelling
  • Like 2

On 3/11/2020 at 9:53 AM, sjenriquez said:

Hello all,

Scott

If you're getting a good deal on the III's, you can buy them, listen to them, sell them later for not much loss, and upgrade to the IV's.  If you're looking to buy a permanent set of speakers, the IV's will be the last set of speakers you will ever need. 

• Like 1