Video editing software in 2020? MP4 specifically?

JL Sargent

Need to add something to this. I've used all the low price spread I mentioned for decades. I am used to one thing I don't want anyone blaming me for. They are all crash happy in the hands of a power user. I suspect most can use them for hours or days without an issue but when you start useing them at 110% it's a good idea to do a "Ctrl-S" every time you do something as well as keep a real time mirror running so that you have a backup copy. Also, make an iteration (Rev 1, Rev 2, etc or whatever works for you) every time you complete some difficult work you don't want to have to redo. Actually, the high price spread isn't all that stable, so anyone billing by the hour is going to follow this procedure as if you have to do it over you either cheat the client or you are making half rate.

"Experience is a dear teacher, but a fool will have no other." I know this one well...

Dave

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators
35 minutes ago, Mallette said:

My pleasure, and I am unlocking this thread as I don't know why it was locked. 

Dave

Because there were three more spammers that someone let in. The last six posters in this thread have all been spammers. It is a spam magnet. The last real post was back in early July. So I'm locking it again, if someone has something new to report on video editing software please start a new thread.

Anyone here try Camtasia? No Travis this is not spam it is what I used to make screen captures and edits a few years back for my CAD blog. Also worked fine for camcorder edits though judging by the terminology used in reference to what others are using and doing I am probably just below rookie grade here.

I've used Camtasia in the past, and knew a bunch of the college profs where I worked who used it. What is did do it did well.

I doubt you are below rookie grade... 😉

If anyone wants some higher powered stuff:

BlackMagicDesign has DaVinci Resolve, totally free NLE... but you need a pretty high end computer. For Windows/linux/Mac. Can do color grading, matching and all the pro stuff. They make their money on all the high end hardware for it.

If you're ok with Linux, Cinelerra CG is free. It can do complex editing as well.

You'll have to search, I'll not post links to avoid attracting spam, or can send links if anyone wants to know and can't find them.

I mostly use Premier Pro (older version 6). Also have ProShow Gold, which can work for some projects. (Just read that Photodex shut their doors last January...)

Bruce

10 hours ago, Marvel said:

I've used Camtasia in the past, and knew a bunch of the college profs where I worked who used it. What is did do it did well.

I doubt you are below rookie grade... 😉

If anyone wants some higher powered stuff:

BlackMagicDesign has DaVinci Resolve, totally free NLE... but you need a pretty high end computer. For Windows/linux/Mac. Can do color grading, matching and all the pro stuff. They make their money on all the high end hardware for it.

If you're ok with Linux, Cinelerra CG is free. It can do complex editing as well.

You'll have to search, I'll not post links to avoid attracting spam, or can send links if anyone wants to know and can't find them.

I mostly use Premier Pro (older version 6). Also have ProShow Gold, which can work for some projects. (Just read that Photodex shut their doors last January...)

Bruce

The CAD and CAM world belongs to MS  and Linux has never been a consideration due to this. I will check your references out.

40 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Does Apple still own the graphic design world? It used to be that way.

No... it does not. Even Adobe has said that Photoshop and their other applications actually run better on Windows. However, the differences are pretty small. Given they have had pretty much the same hardware for a number of year, that's understandable. The Apple OS is based of a BSD Unix, a Unix derivative. It may all change as Apple moves to get away from Intel cpu architecture, and use their own.

Apple is still pretty well embedded in the printing industry, though, as it has been expensive to change.

Bruce

7 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Does Apple still own the graphic design world? It used to be that way.

Some of the problems Apple had and has and the reason they have lost ground in the Graphics Arts world is cost and capability limitations. Everything works on Windows and a lot of programs and ancillary programs won't on Apple. Last time I shopped for Workstations three years I looked at Apple for the heck of it. What has been true for over 12 years for me is that A, Apple did not offer latest and greatest chips and B, slow to jump on SSD's and NVME's  plus you can't get Nvidia graphics cards at least on the ones I saw. Nividia Quadro or other professional level graphics cards are ISV certified to work without problems for design and rendering etc. Apple as of three years ago seemed to have gaming graphics cards only from Nvidia and AMD and they fail often enough that we stay away from them.

They are WAY to expensive on top of that.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...