electrolytic capacitors

Dave A

1 minute ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

No, the multiple caps are in parallel. 

How would "I" simplify it?  See my system . 

Right but that is for an Altec A7 with entirely different drivers. Are you saying that it is a universal crossover for all two way systems irregardless of the drivers?

Just now, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

There is only one soldering technique / method that works.  Its a Weller D-550 325 watt gun, tip hot, 0.062 inch diameter solder, and no more than two seconds on the joint. 

What kind of solder do you use?  Do you have any special tip-cleaning technique?

OK then how to I take what I see on your system crossover and apply it to these different drivers. Please be specific as if you will remember I started this thread to talk about the KPT-100 crossover which is the problem I am trying to solve today.

1 minute ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

There is only one soldering technique / method that works.  Its a Weller D-550 325 watt gun, tip hot, 0.062 inch diameter solder, and no more than two seconds on the joint. 

It's really hard to tell if you're trolling or just cluelessly obnoxious, so kudos on the web of confusion you've achieved.

I have to tell you, if this is your sales pitch to convert us to the Church of the One-way Righteous Crossover, it leaves much to be desired. I've heard more convincing arguments from various cult-like religion folks coming to my door.

Don't raise your voice, improve your argument. A schematic is a good place to start.

And remember...caps lock is cruise control for cool.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

One must KNOW what cap uF values play in what music ranges, when doing multiple bypassing.  One must be sensitive to the quality of playback, in any given area, for any given uF value !!  Formulas and math, need not apply !!! 

Math absolutely applies, Jeff.  You're taking your "artful" experience bypassing inside an amplifier, where the impedance levels are much higher than in a loudspeaker crossover, and stating that the same values of capacitance will "cover the same musical ranges" when as a matter of FACT they absolutely CANNOT!

8 minutes ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

A 0.68uF covers in a loudspeaker crossover what it does in an amp. And the same applies to all the other typical  uF values I might be using.

Do you even know the relationship between capacitance, frequency, and impedance?

8 hours ago, Dave A said:
8 hours ago, Dave A said:
22 hours ago, boom3 said:

The four lead box looks good for a PCB based crossover. 

OK could you tell me what that means?

Printed Circuit Board. A four lead component can be mechanically more stable. The WIMA box caps are indeed very good and very popular with rebuilders of vintage guitar amps to replace Orange Drops, Black Beauties and the like

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

Vaguely, but such things do not hinder me from trying and listening, as it does to you, and others. That is how and why, I can achieve results others will NEVER ever possibly get !! 

You shouId not do magic you do not understand!

- The Indian in the Cupboard

3 hours ago, boom3 said:

Printed Circuit Board. A four lead component can be mechanically more stable. The WIMA box caps are indeed very good and very popular with rebuilders of vintage guitar amps to replace Orange Drops, Black Beauties and the like

What I wanted to know was what the four lead thing was since capacitors I have used are two leads.

On 3/14/2020 at 6:02 PM, boom3 said:

Yes, mechanical stability is the key. I used to manage the Honda Design group where we did a "build to print" for Honda Accord Electronics. The Japanese insisted o Single Sided boards with stand up resistors (which were Axial Leaded resistors that had one lead bent 180 degrees that required us to invest in Universal Radial Lead Insertion equipment for their specific line in the plant). The bummer was that the meeting I attended at Universal Instruments HQ in New York state, was literally 100 feet away from McIntosh HQ in Conklin..........so close, yet so far away......LOL.

This is why the "minimum etch/maxium copper" method of PCB design is used on Single Sided boards, since the "rivet effect" of plated holes of a double sided board is absent and there is full reliance on just the copper's adhesive (surface area driven) for mechanical robustness. In the same manner, 4 leads are more stable than just 2 on radial components.

• Like 1