SWAG dates moved.

Curious, how long are you willing to stay locked down? Not directed at anybody in particular. The flu pandemic in early 1900s lasted 3 years. I have not missed one day of work cuz according to somebody I am essential (wish my paycheck reflected that). Just saying WTF will be the diff?

I don't know--how about some data?  This one is from the CDC: COVID-19 death rates by age and state as a percentage of all COVID-19 cases:

1051035337_CDCCOVID-19deathratesbyageandstate.JPG.38945ae26164754e99bc0e86300ef4f0.JPG

Probably not good if you live in Mississippi.  If you come home with it--anyone you live with that's over 70--or at particular risk?  I do.

Again, from the CDC:

Based on what we know now, those at high-risk for severe illness from COVID-19 are:

People of all ages with underlying medical conditions, particularly if not well controlled, including:

• People with chronic lung disease or moderate to severe asthma
  • People who have serious heart conditions
  • People who are immunocompromised
    • Many conditions can cause a person to be immunocompromised, including cancer treatment, smoking, bone marrow or organ transplantation, immune deficiencies, poorly controlled HIV or AIDS, and prolonged use of corticosteroids and other immune weakening medications
  • People with severe obesity (body mass index [BMI] of 40 or higher)
  • People with diabetes
  • People with chronic kidney disease undergoing dialysis
  • People with liver disease

Chris

I know that is your opinion Chris and I respect it for you. I choose to think otherwise and looking at the numbers I am just as likely to get wiped out by a drunk driver on my way over. We each will act accordingly and I have too much respect for you to try and sway or change your mind. Our life experiences shape what we fear and respond too and I know you had a bad time with swine flu. I simply choose to think the way I do based on the evidence I have seen. If various state agencies had not stuffed wuhan positive people into old folks homes and the collection of data was honest I figure this is no worse than a severe flu but the societal consequences, if they continue, will destroy the nation and a bankrupt nation in chaos can't fight anything. Frankly many more people have died around here from denied treatment than wuhan.

I do hope to meet you one day but I figured you would sit this one out.

I'm at more risk at work than I would be at the SWAG.  I don't have the luxury of staying home and haven't missed a day of work this year.   I'm always around the public.  I have no choice in the matter.  At least at the SWAG it's a controlled environment with known participants who could be tested prior to coming.  That's infinitely better than what I live with every day here.

Mine's not a fear driven response.

Morgan has suffered from pneumonia several times in the past. My dad is diabetic, my sister is immunocompromised. My I laws are 65+. We're in a modified isolation regiment with limited outside contact and precautions for essential trips only. I go to work each day but mostly isolate and don't interact much with the public. My immediate family is doing similar which means we're able to gather periodically and emotionally support one another during this time.

I've seen enough 1st and 2nd hand reports from my social circle to know that inconvenience for a time is far better than the risk of catching this in its worst form. Soich of the world is out of my control, but this piece I can control with what I consider to be a fairly mundane sacrifice.

So for me, it's a constant exercise of calculated risk assessments. If I go to Hope and this is even slightly still an active pandemic then I potentially jeopardize my ability to continue interacting with my family, go to work and provide for my own, etc.

I love you guys, but it's just not worth it for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

That would be childish and petty.  I'd love to see everybody but respect everyone's decision. 

so I'm not going because "They" are going to be there. Thank you for respecting my decision. 

just busting your chops Carl ... it was an emotional day and I needed to be a ... Klipsch forum member for a minute. 

I had to make a grocery run this morning and then took the car for a little drive since it hadn't been driven for about three weeks. While I was out, I was thinking that if I got out more often then I probably wouldn't be so scared of the virus. Pretzel logic probably. But, like Michael said, right now the risk is just too great. I have a lung disease, my brother is still having complications from the cancer surgery plus he's over 60. 

I wrestle with this one ... I don't see an "end" in sight; but every time I decide to go to the liquor store or the dispensary I think "is it worth it?"

Next place I move to will have liquor delivery and marijuana delivery to homes. (those gummies really help me sleep better and I feel less pain).

Actually, thinking about heading back to California next year. Will see how the brother's health is. Got a lot of family in central California (actually all over California) but I've been getting closer with my cousins the past couple of years and central CA is far less expensive than being back at the beach. If I move back to SoCal, I'm sure that I'd have to get a job again. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dave A said:

We each will act accordingly and I have too much respect for you to try and sway or change your mind.

...or anyone else's opinion reading this? 

That's what ushered in my last two posts: your persistence "getting the last word" or rebuttal.  Whether or not you are willing to acknowledge that risk, it's still there, let's agree on that.  The data says it's a lot safer to wingsuit BASE jump (multiple times) than to brave SARS-CoV-2 if you or your loved ones (or anyone else that you potentially infect) are at risk to the virus (not just yourself). 

And the risk is not just from the other participants going, but rather everywhere that you go--pumping gas, eating out, sleeping in a motel room that likely has been used by someone that's been infected, etc. 

Chris

2 hours ago, babadono said:

So I catch it at home or work or in Arkansas. Or not. Still no difference. Just know I won't catch it helping to pull over a statue :)

Come on Eric, you’ve been to Arkansas before I’ve seen you there. Do you really want to contract Covid - Arky strain? I don’t think

you do — 🦠😷🐔

• Haha 1

As the SWAG approaches I may reconsider, but as of today I plan to go.  If it appears that I will be putting myself or my family at risk by attending, I will not attend.  I am extremely cautious, so much so that my wife calls me a covidiot, but is meeting up with friends at the SWAG (with pre-screening, masking, social distancing in effect) any more risky than ordinary activities such as going to the supermarket and Home Depot, filling up at the local gas station, getting a haircut, going to the dentist, etc?  This assumes you are not in a high risk category, which I am not.

55 minutes ago, Seadog said:

but is meeting up with friends at the SWAG (with pre-screening, masking, social distancing in effect) any more risky than ordinary activities such as going to the supermarket and Home Depot, filling up at the local gas station, getting a haircut, going to the dentist, etc? 

it may be; but this is just speculation. a brief encounter with the public at a store is probably less risky than hanging out for an extended period of time with others. I'm like you, very cautious; but our precautions are a moot if we're hanging out with people that don't share that level of caution. (I'm in an elevated risk group due to breathing problems). 

even here at home, I feel like I'm reduced to the "cross your finger" method of protection. I live with my brother who is not nearly as cautious as I am -- what good are my precautions when the person living with me doesn't share the same level of caution? 

I love to party too. 

All I know is that I'm so sick of this virus and sadly see no end in sight. 

I hope all who go are safe and the virus (if still around) won't be an issue. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

So for me, it's a constant exercise of calculated risk assessments.

I think that's true for everyone.  Just looking at numbers this morning.  The total percentage of people who have died from covid in the US is .000374%.  I have no way of knowing how many of them were at high risk but I gather it's a majority.  I refuse to be paralyzed by these numbers.  That does not however mean that I'm reckless.  I wash my hands constantly, wear a mask when appropriate and avoid large gatherings of people. People who are at high risk should be even more cautious than I am.    Other than being (slightly LOL) over 60, my immediate family and I are not in any high risk category.  If I hadn't been leading a semi normal life and were forced to stay at home for the last few months it's possible that I would feel differently. 

Members shouldn't be chastised for going or for not attending.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I think that's true for everyone.  Just looking at numbers this morning.  The total percentage of people who have died from covid in the US is .000374%.  I have no way of knowing how many of them were at high risk but I gather it's a majority.  I refuse to be paralyzed by these numbers.  That does not however mean that I'm reckless.  I wash my hands constantly, wear a mask when appropriate and avoid large gatherings of people. People who are at high risk should be even more cautious than I am.    Other than being (slightly LOL) over 60, my immediate family and I are not in any high risk category.  If I hadn't been leading a semi normal life and were forced to stay at home for the last few months it's possible that I would feel differently. 

Yup the numbers and the actual risk is so small. I have a friend close by who also has his parents living with him one of whom is high risk. They have a mechanic business and have to take care of business or lose the business. Of course they have never quit working and they have a common sense approach to it all. The elderly stay away from customers and don't go to public places hardly at all since they have children there to do that for them. Perfect and correct response where those in peril quarantine themselves and the rest do not. Since state of the art government protection seems to be masks and sanitizer for even medical people that is what they do when needed and the rest of the time just stay away from others. They have also made the decision to avoid old folks home which seem to be the greatest risk of all.

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Being in the high risk age group has me being cautious on attending, still up in the air. And being chastised for attending or not attending is only - expected. Come on Carl, when have you let me off the hook before —

6 minutes ago, richieb said:

Being in the high risk age group has me being cautious on attending, still up in the air. And being chastised for attending or not attending is only - expected. Come on Carl, when have you let me off the hook before —

There's always the exception to the rule.