OT: Best heatsink/fan combo for 1.33 GHz 266fsb T-Bird?

Found a buyer for my P3 866+Asus CUSL2 combo, so I'm ordering a 1.33 GHz 266fsb Thunderbird and KT133a motherboard soon.

I know these faster T-Birds run pretty hot. What's the best heatsink/fan, within a reasonable price, to keep my 'bird cool?

I was thinking of the Alpha PEP66 or the GlobalWin FOP38. I know the 7k Delta fan is loud but it gets the cooling job done very well. I've also heard good things about some Vantec and Taisol coolers.

I would go with a quieter FOP32 or SuperOrb but I just don't think they'd cool as well as I'd like. They are probably fine for Thunderbirds around 1 GHz or less...

Help me decide please! I'm ordering my new parts soon...

quote:

Originally posted by fawwaz:

Thats good to hear ,I want to upgrade but don't seem to find an apporperiate buyer .Ah , well the p3 700 runs everything fine though.

By the way , what about Ram ,didn't you sell them?

the T-Bird works best with DDR.

for cooling check this:

Tell me who bought from you ,was it on e-bay?

No, not eBay. I frequent a computer message board over at www.3dfiles.com and posted my system in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum over there. Nobody wanted to buy my whole system for more than $600 (see sig) so I said "screw that" and just sold the CPU+mobo combo.

No, I didn't sell my RAM. I have 256MB of Crucial PC133 Cas2 which is very good SDRAM. DDR memory looks promising and will definitely be mainstream in the future but right now I'm not impressed with the T-Bird DDR boards. They are not as stable as the KT133a boards, and the KT133a boards can actually outperform them when overclocked. I realize that later on, the DDR boards will become the performance kings but right now stability is important to me. Plus I don't want to have to buy an extra 256MB of PC2100 DDR memory.

Thanks for the reply d00d!

That delta fan is obnoxiously noisy. You might say oh well, it can't be THAT noisy, but it becomes unbearable if you are near the fan for any period of time. Look at the noise control silverado or the PEP66 w/dual fans (non-delta high dba units.

Good luck with the T-bird. Whatever fan/sink you get, if you are at all worried about heat (or have a hot vid card) get a case fan. It really helps out the cpu fan, and keeps your whole system cool.

You DO realise you are trading in the most stable m-board (CUSL-2) ever made........

forget stable.. you need the KT7A for the new Birds. As for HSF.. I have an FOP38 and it is LOUD. My suggestion.. don't go by looks or by the fan it comes with. Chances are you won't see it when it is in your case ans who really cares how it looks.. as long as it is fast. As for the fan, you can put an 80mm fan on pretty much any HS and it will be quieter and preform better than the Delta.

That aside.. the best HS reviews are ones where they put the same fan on them all.. most reviews stick the Delta 7k RPM fan on the HSs.

If you don't move your case around that much.. you can get away with the alotted 300g for a HSF. The Cu HedgeHog always performs well and the new HS from GW is good too New Vantech is good too but has a fan louder than the Delta. Also.. the swiftech is good. just remember.. become friends with an 80mm HO case fan and enjoy

http://www.virtualhideout.net - check out the reviews

look at http://www.hardocp.com too there are many reviews out there

quote:

Originally posted by kaila:

Good luck with the T-bird. Whatever fan/sink you get, if you are at all worried about heat (or have a hot vid card) get a case fan. It really helps out the cpu fan, and keeps your whole system cool.

You DO realise you are trading in the most stable m-board (CUSL-2) ever made........

Yup, this CUSL2 has been great to me. Very very stable. But the fact is, stable or not, my P3-866 will get smoked by a 1GHz or higher Thunderbird paired with a KT133a board. It is time for me to make the move to AMD while I can still get a good amount out of my Intel parts.

quote:

It is time for me to make the move to AMD while I can still get a good amount out of my Intel parts.

This is what worries me too,but I haven't sold my system because it is doing well,and it would cost me a motherboard,CPU,and RAMs do upgrade.

I would really like to know how much you got paid for you parts,I guess mine would be much less since I have a BX-II board,700@100Mhz bus,and 128Ram.

Did you sell your parts on 3dfiles??

He's offering $250 for the P3-866 and the CUSL2 motherboard.

I paid about $259 for the chip and $150 for the mobo a few months ago. I will be taking a loss of course but that's just the way it is when you sell computer parts. They depreciate in value so quickly and so much (especially CPU's and graphics cards).

I paid $300 ea. for 2 12MB Diamond Monster 3D Vooodoo2 cards a few years ago and recently sold them for $70 for the pair...man I couldn't believe it.

But, I've been wanting an AMD system for a while, so I guess it's about time I hopped on this huge bandwagon. Everybody is dissing Intel due to their higher prices so I'm going to see what AMD has to offer and if I can be satisfied with them. It seems that with AMD you pay less for the same performance but you have to do more to get everything to work right. My Intel setup ran like a dream after I built it. The first time I powered it on, it ran flawlessly. I hope I can say the same when my AMD parts arrive later this week.

please do keep us updated, I want to know the differnce.

Further this frames per second ting is confusning me I have Geoforce 2 GTS and was playing Giants Kabuto @1024X768 with details high and T&L and it ran at 30-40 fps.But the thing is it is flawless to me looks very beuitfull and moves very smoothly. How would a 100-120 fps be??

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

well i now played the game at 640X480 16bits and 1152X968 32 bits and 1024X768 @32bits

the frame rate differnce is 5fps (nothing almost at some time no fps difference!!!!)

This said I must add the graphics quality diffenece is tremondous.1024X768 is so far superior to 640X480. I must also mention the game speed is also the same!!!

quote:

You wouldn't really notice anything over 30 or 40 fps... North American TV shows 30fps, movies in theaters show 24.

So why would anyone buy an Geforce 2 Ultra if at the game runs smoothely with geforce 2 GTS and no one notices differences at higher than 30 to 40 fps??????????

so I don't think I'll reconsider my upgrade from geforce 2 GTS for a long time biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

You will notice the hight FPS when your card gets bogged down and your FPS drop down.

As for 24fps in the theatre.. the reason why it looks good is because of motion blur - which video cards don't do

Also.. forget the GF2 cards now.. GF3MX will be coming out and will be better than GF2Ultra at around $150-$200

------------------

All Your Base Are Belong To Us

-------------------------------------

1GHz TBird

Abit KT7A-RAID

FOP38 & CuShim

Kingmax 256MB PC150

Annihilator2 32MB GTS

Intel Pro100+Management NIC

Promise Ultra100

IBM 75GXP 45GB ATA100 & Maxtor DMP6800 27.2GB ATA66

Plextor 16X10X40A Sony 12X DVD

SBLive! 5.1

AOpen HX08 Full Tower 300W

Sony CPD-G400 19" Triny

ProMedia 4.1

quote:

Also.. forget the GF2 cards now.. GF3MX will be coming out and will be better than GF2Ultra at around $150-$200

I think you mean that 150-200$ above the current geforce2 ultra price.The g3 will debut at about 550-600$.

I really find the game running very smoothly at high resolutions (1024X768), while the Ultra card will make them run faster I don't think it's worth it since I don't play at higher than 1024X768. It also doesn't have any graphical quality over the g2 except speed. you can say that the g2 ultra is an overclocked g2 or a g2 on steriods.

Anyway the g3 does provide superior graphical quality .I suggest to all those wh have the g2 and want to upgrade to wait until the g3 ultra (Dah) and upgrading then to G3.

only then will it be worth the trouble!!