Baltic VS MDF

Dave A

My brother used to build Strip Canoes out of 1/4 x 3/4" Cedar strips. They were created from a table saw and twin routers mounted on a table with "inny and outy" bits that made concave and convex edges over the entire length of the strips. They learned this from the Gougeon Brothers, famous among Sailboat builders and racers.

WOOD has the best Strength to Weigh ratio of any material to make boats with...............BBBBUT..........you gotta keep it DRY!!

MDF makes a SWELL sponge also.

3 hours ago, Dave A said:

I was too and I have only had one H2 and it was MDF and the biggest reason why I have stuck to H1's. I like the bigger tweeter lens size though and may just make a set out of BB this next month or so.

My first pair of brand new, 1977 model year, KCBR Klipschorns were made of Baltic Birch (Finland or Russia??), which, made them 20 lbs heavier than the older versions made from Fir Plywood. I used Satin Tung oil after sanding them down and finishing with #0000 steel wool. Did the same with my Center Channel LaScala. my "Klipsch 2Ph3" array (same as PWK's own system, except his was Oiled Walnut), had this beautiful Light Honey Color with a deep grain pattern as a result.........no stain. I was a proud 23 year old with great sound for sure for over 30 years until I caught the HT bug and the desire to build my own MWM "horn stack." The disease progressed from there, which PWK himself understood since he referred to me as his "victim" when he introduced me to Jim Hunter back then.

• Like 1

Just now, Dave A said:

I have never had the privilege of owning true Baltic Birch Klipsch. Plenty of Birch faced plywood yes but never the real deal.

I sold them to one of my younger brother's high school buddies, with the verbal agreement that if he ever sold them, he would give me first right of refusal. I had never seen 9-layer, half inch, plywood before this. I was amazed that it even existed!!

12 minutes ago, Randyh said:

ok so why not give klipsch customers the option to have cabs made out of BB  ---just charge them the extra ------but to buy a pair of Lascala-Khorn-CW made of MDF , ----------somewhere along the line these wont last as long as BB

It's pretty funny to read after all these years, since one of the reasons I bought them (with my very first bank loan) is they were the cheapest way to get Khorns. the KCBR designation stood for "Birch Raw" at the time. Now you are saying we should pay more than the standard price for a Baltic Birch Khorn. Interesting times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Randyh said:

Yes , I had though that these were 3/4 inch all around -----------so  even with half inch , they were 20 lbs heavier - add 3/4 inch around , they would be even heavier -

question as we are on  the subject ---------are the jubilees made with MDF

No. Baltic Birch same as all the Klipsch Pro and Theater offerings. I hope that does not change.

2 hours ago, Randyh said:

ok so why not give klipsch customers the option to have cabs made out of BB  ---just charge them the extra

That is as they say the $64,000 question. It must not make business sense to customize/take custom orders. That's why you can get Jubilees in any finish you want as long as it's black pebble paint.

7 minutes ago, babadono said:

That is as they say the $64,000 question. It must not make business sense to customize/take custom orders. That's why you can get Jubilees in any finish you want as long as it's black pebble paint.

Pretty sure you can get RAW birch also, which would look nice with a Tung Oil finish. Now if K-402's came in Baltic Birch, THAT would be saweeeeet!!

Just now, ClaudeJ1 said:

Pretty sure you can get RAW birch also, which would look nice with a Tung Oil finish.

Only if they paid attention while building and did not use the knot hole filled side on the outside.....ask me how I know:)