Baltic VS MDF

Dave A

46 minutes ago, Randyh said:

Diz ---------how much wood did you use -------5x5  or 4x 8 , in the end , how much did the cabs cost alone ---------just curious , I want to buils a pair , but I would go to Heresy 4 Dimensions

I don’t recall, but I think I purchased two 4 x 8 sheets at under $100 each.  I still have quite a bit left.

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 5:21 AM, Dave A said:

It is because the pros know they can have both durability and quality sound. 

Something tells me that even if the expert builders in the "pro" dept. felt there was a slight degradation in sound quality with BB they'd use it anyway. Do you have literature from pro builders stating sound quality is the main reason for plywood use over MDF or is this just speculation on your part?

I know a guy who set up very large pro gear venues and he tells me pro gear is mostly "raw" as everything is EQ'd heavily after it is installed which is why a lot of pro gear does not sound good in the home without some electronic "help" if you will, not plug and play like home systems.

I find it interesting that Klipsch's "spare no expense" $20k speaker set the Palladium P-39 and all other models in that line are made with MDF cabinets-- if BB was really undeniably the best choice for every application you'd think the Palladium design team would have utilized it?  

p39f_-_Spec_Sheet.pdf

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jjptkd said:

I find it interesting that Klipsch's "spare no expense" $20k speaker set the Palladium P-39 and all other models in that line are made with MDF cabinets-- if BB was really undeniably the best choice for every application you'd think the Palladium design team would have utilized it?  

p39f_-_Spec_Sheet.pdf 156.91 kB · 0 downloads

cost is always a factor. I take it that you are aware of the krazy price of void free Baltic birch? If you want to insure that the first cabinet resonance is above the band of the woofer then a light stiff material is a good way to go as it will require less brace work. You can stiffen a mdf cabinet but it will require more work to brace because it has a higher density. Even given this offset mdf is still more popular because it costs so much less. In situations such as pro applications where cabinet strength resistance to water and weight are priorities plywood and birch ply (all birch ply) is the preferred choice of top quality manufacturers/builders. Both mdf and ply can perform well if used properly, the application and cost will be the concern. Built in pro cabinets could be made of mdf but touring cabinets would never be made from mdf due to the huge weight disadvantage as well as has been rightly suggested the diminished physical strength of mdf when presented with stressors such as impact.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jjptkd said:

No actually I don't think that. I think they were told to cut costs however they reasonably could and still achieve a certain level of sound and appearance quality. Now prove me wrong and you have to come up with more than sales literature quotes.

5 hours ago, jjptkd said:

The curvature of the cabinet and the usage of veneer would have made plywood a poor choice for the design.

Properly constructed there should no difference sonically, durability is another story.

• Like 1

Well, I think that for rough-and-tumble qualities there's only the one choice, and for inert density there's only the one choice.  Too bad they're mutually exclusive in this case.

Postscript:  dense plywood is hard on cutting tools, and dense particle board is hard on cutting tools.

20 minutes ago, glens said:

Well, I think that for rough-and-tumble qualities there's only the one choice, and for inert density there's only the one choice.  Too bad they're mutually exclusive in this case.

Postscript:  dense plywood is hard on cutting tools, and dense particle board is hard on cutting tools.

Well, I would just buy more blades.  Don't see a problem.

On 3/19/2020 at 12:06 PM, Randyh said:

At age 85, Paul W. Klipsch sells Klipsch & Associates to second cousin and Indianapolis businessman Fred S. Klipsch and his wife Judy. While manufacturing remains in Hope, Arkansas, business operations move to Indianapolis, Indiana.

The company is re-named Klipsch, Inc.

I toured the plan in 1985, early August. I saw dozens and dozens stacks of KG-4 front panels that were routed, and rejected because of the air gaps. I don't recall seeing MDF anywhere BUT, I'm sure this is why they started using it for front panels..................no air gaps ever. Woody Jackson, then the VP of Marketing told me it was hard to find a supplier of plywood with the quality requirements as he pointed to all those bad panels. All this is BEFORE Klipsch sales volumes went up 7 times after Fred Klipsch bought the company.

55 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I toured the plan in 1985, early August. I saw dozens and dozens stacks of KG-4 front panels that were routed, and rejected because of the air gaps. I don't recall seeing MDF anywhere BUT, I'm sure this is why they started using it for front panels..................no air gaps ever. Woody Jackson, then the VP of Marketing told me it was hard to find a supplier of plywood with the quality requirements as he pointed to all those bad panels. All this is BEFORE Klipsch sales volumes went up 7 times after Fred Klipsch bought the company.

Regular plywood though right? Think of all the money they wasted by not using consistent but more expensive up front wood such as Baltic Birch. Wonder how much they lost saving money buying the cheap stuff.  While I have not cut tons of BB what I have cut has been void free.