Turntable recommendations

The Dude

Hello,

I am looking for a turntable recommendation.  Here is my current situation, I currently own a Dual 1019 and Thorens TD166 MK II.  Neither of them is in working order per se.  The Thorens has a bent motor shaft that  I believe could be straightened out, I have a new belt for it, but would need a new stylus.  When I purchased the Dual, it worked in manual mode, but not automatic.  I sent it into FIxmydual.com and they performed the clean and lube that it needed to get the automatic function working.  I never really felt that it worked up to par as the platter seemed to take a while to get to full speed.  It would seem to play fine, so maybe it worked as it should.  However, I am back to no automatic function and now no manual function.  I really don't want to spend the money sending this back and getting it spruced up again.  To be honest, I am really not impressed with it, sound-wise is good, but I don't feel I should have to keep up on it this much. Maybe this is the issue with automatic tables?  Since the Thorens isn't automatic or semi-auto, I have no interest in fixing it up.  I know some will say that tables from these eras are hard to beat for the price, but is there by chance a semi-auto table in the $200-$400 range that sounds decent and works as it should for a good 5-10 years?  Or am I asking too much?  My thoughts were to try and sell both of these, along with a couple of other pieces of gear and purchase something in good working order.  Any thoughts?I am looking for a turntable recommendation.  Here is my current situation, I currently own a Dual 1019 and Thorens TD166 MK II.  Neither of them are in working order per say.  The Thorens has a bent motor shaft that  I believe could be straighten out, I have a new belt for it, but would need a new stylus.  When I purchased the Dual, it worked in manual mode, but not automatic.  I sent it in to FIxmydual.com and they performed the clean and lube that it needed to get the automatic function working.  I never really felt that it worked up to par as the platter seemed to take a while to get to full speed.  It would seem to play fine, so maybe it worked as it should.  However, I am back to no automatic function and now no manual function.  I really don't want to spend the money sending this back and getting it spruced up again.  To be honest, I am really not impressed with it, sound wise is good, but I don't feel I should have to keep up on it this much. Maybe this is the issue with automatic tables?  Since the Thorens isn't automatic or semi auto, I have no interested in fixing it up.  I know some will say that tables from these eras are hard to beat for the price, but is there by chance a semi auto table in the $200-$400 range that sounds decent and works as it should for a good 5-10 years?  Or am I asking to much?  My thoughts were to try and sell both of these, along with a couple of other pieces of gear and purchase something in good working order.  Any thoughts?

Thanks

A decent condition linear type TT

can be had for around can about

$100+ some change shipped to you. Technics, Sansui, and many more went through a period if

making these. Easy to operate and have yet to hear a skip. Minimize pop and clicks,etc. One could get one and start spinning now, and then shop around for a 

traditional type. Mine sure sounds good to me. Got it from eBay...

• Like 1

Kinda depends on how many LP's you have and will an upgrade be worth the money.  I have a TON of LP's and my Linn table, which is due for MAJOR service.  It will never leave me.  I love my album's sound yet I'm still toying w/the streaming options so I can compare the two.  Just tossing this in there to confuse your issue even more.  lol  Could be worth a thought though.  

• Like 1

I had asked this similar question on Audiokarma maybe a year ago as I'm in a similar boat.  I currently own a Pioneer PL-518, PL-516, JVC QL-4F, and a MCS of some sort.  I've used the JVC for years now and I am not any sort of turntable audiophile nor do I have a record cleaner; I do have about 1,000 LP's though.  I pondered selling them all and getting something new in the range of about $400 to $500 which are table like the U-turn, Teac, some cheaper ProJect, Rega, etc.  The general consensus of most everyone there was to keep my Pioneer PL-518 and put my money into that.  It also gets down to me just not wanting to have to constantly fix things on the older tables as I get more tired of messing with things constantly versus being able to just enjoy music.

Most anything now as far as "budget tables" are belt drive which some prefer, some don't, over a direct drive.  I do like the Teac TN-400S , U-turn Orbit in Walnut, Fluance RT-83/84/85, etc., of which all can get close to $500.  I don't know though.  I've made it this far....I might just put the money into my PL-518 and have my buddy that does automotive painting shoot it black or I might veneer it.  I won't go crazy into a high dollar table as it's just that not important.

And like many now, I find myself streaming more than I do going to the ritualistic act of listening to vinyl...or even CD's for that matter.  Maybe I shouldn't have bought that Onkyo Reference C-7000R CD player since I've only played maybe 5 discs.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

'm still toying w/the streaming options so I can compare the two

I use typically use only 2-3 sources, Vinyl and streaming.  When streaming I either use a streaming service such as Spotify or from my NAS (I should the NAS that's a work in progress).  I like both vinyl and streaming for different reasons.   I have been running vinyl since my did when I was a young one, it will more than likely always be a part of my life.  I do dabble in cassettes, but only cause I have some and a player. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, avguytx said:

Pioneer PL-518

That was a model I was looking at.

5 hours ago, avguytx said:

It also gets down to me just not wanting to have to constantly fix things on the older tables as I get more tired of messing with things constantly versus being able to just enjoy music.

That's me as well, I am  tired of projects.  I used to always go that route as funds were limited, now things are  a little better, so buy once and hopefully be done. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Dude said:

That was a model I was looking at.

That's me as well, I am  tired of projects.  I used to always go that route as funds were limited, now things are  a little better, so buy once and hopefully be done. 

From what many say, the PL-518 is a very sturdy turntable and I have to agree.  The worst part about it are the feet that disintegrate and the "meh" looking silver base.  I'm either going to veneer mine or have my buddy paint it if I decide to stay with it.  Honestly, I'm just tired of projects sitting around doing nothing when I could just sell them off for whatever amount for someone that's more inclined to finish them and I take those proceeds and buy something new that works out of the box.  I could care less about spending big bucks in a T/T when it's not top priority to me.

But a 518 do look good when dolled up and  tuned.  There was once a guy on e b a y selling completely rebuilt units that were veneered, new feet, and dust cover for $470.  Those were nice.  I've got to buy new feet for sure for mine as they are blown out.

I took a chance on a pair of sl1200mkII tables and cheap dj mixer in a local pawn shop... $350. They both worked fine, sold one for $300 and the mixer for $50. See where this went? Got my sl1200 at no cost... although I put on an inexpensive Ortofon Red and headshell. It works great, dead silent. I really don't use it much, but it's there if I need it.

• Like 4

My Sansui linear is just great. Going to buy one of the linear

Technics, good reviews 

. Basically just plug and play for one of a nice sounding TT.

No fuss no muss...easy automatic

Without hassles of setting up a

TT...check it out on Better by far than my mid Yamaha... research and buy Right...

• Like 1

I do have a pro-jest essentials III that’s new with only 2 hours of play time. But it’s all manual. I have the box and everything that it came with and a extra needle
Let me know if you would like to talk about price
Security animal not included. Lol
83acb85e09cc3ee6d7104b6537cf74d9.jpg
236aa62eed5f10d5562681710a5de772.plist
b30ba31d22a14ff49e91cc6ca67ccde2.jpg
4af21c7cf25727e82637de863a1efd30.jpg
9fb562789baba253895199bcf2d8e7e5.jpg
ae6514f7a8a5956ad31622ba07f12385.jpg
0ed3150236d1e45fecbebce320643962.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2