Turntable recommendations

The Dude

On 3/16/2020 at 7:05 PM, The Dude said:

I do have 2 carts to choose from. Both Shure V15s, one II and one III. Depending what I end up with, I would like to try both as I am not sure which would be best.
@Tarheel any model numbers for those Denon tables.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I looked at some Denon tables on line and the prices have shot up.  No personal experience with Fluance turn tables but read the reviews on the RT-83 on youtube.  Table with auto stop, dust cover, and Ortofon Red for $349.99 new, and shipped.  May get you by for a bit.

• Like 1

Dude,

Let me start of with a story....Ill keep it short...Just got back into 2 channel because of a Klipsch forum get together about 5 years ago....First thing I bought was the same Philips 312 I had in high school...(mistake)....Upgraded to an MMF 7 ....While nice....I still wanted more...Bought a Thorens TD 145 mint....Nice (after the HUM mod was done)....Sold everything as well as a few home theater items ....Bought an SL-1210GR and a Hanna SH cartridge......Should have bought the 1210 and the Hanna first...If you have an issue about end of play lift.....Buy a lift device.... End of story

George

• Like 5

I still have and use the Technics SL-1300 I bought new in 1975.  One of the best 250 buck purchases of new audio equipment I ever made!

ACTUALLY everything I bought in 1975 is still used except for one of the two SoundCraftsman 2012-A equalizers which I sold decades ago (at a profit!), and the speakers, also sold decades ago for exactly what I paid for them all!

TEAC A-2340-R reel deck

DBX II model 124 Noise reduction unit (for the reel deck)

SoundCraftsman 2012-A equalizer

Technics RS-676-AUS cassette deck

H/K 900+ quad receiver

• Like 3

16 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

I do have a pro-jest essentials III that’s new with only 2 hours of play time. But it’s all manual. I have the box and everything that it came with and a extra needle
Let me know if you would like to talk about price
Security animal not included. Lol
83acb85e09cc3ee6d7104b6537cf74d9.jpg
236aa62eed5f10d5562681710a5de772.plist
b30ba31d22a14ff49e91cc6ca67ccde2.jpg
4af21c7cf25727e82637de863a1efd30.jpg
9fb562789baba253895199bcf2d8e7e5.jpg
ae6514f7a8a5956ad31622ba07f12385.jpg
0ed3150236d1e45fecbebce320643962.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the turntable or the amp powered by the hamster?

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Still using my Technics direct drive from 79 or 80.  One of these days I might do a major upgrade purchase but in the meantime, well, it keeps on going.

For myself, I have always wanted an SL 110 or SL 1100 Technics Direct drive turntable, and highly recommend them provided they have been tested and maintained properly...they were the top of the line in their day from Technics and can often be picked up for around a grand today...which is MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE than the current top of the line Direct drive from Technics, which IMHO doesn't really justify its price considering it doesn't have any really appreciable significance in performance over the old 1100 model!  The new top of the line is now the SL-1000R, at an MSRP of 18 grand!! GEEZ!!  And you still have to buy MORE stuff before using it!

1047743944_TechnicsSL-1000.jpg.3012dafb0219e8d9e91d19ff9de6cad5.jpg

10 hours ago, tromprof said:

I would agree that if you were to increase your budget this direct drive tt will out perform many tts at many times the price. As was said here that a repurposed lenco would be a good option and it would be if you were open to a project! But you said that you were not so I would go with the pioneer. 

39 minutes ago, Klipschguy said:

I guess I am a bit late to the game, but I would recommend selling your Thorens TD166 and consider buying a Thorens TD145.  The TD145 has an automatic stop feature that lifts the stylus at the end of the LP; it works great. 

I am always slow to purchase, I spend a lot of time researching and waiting these days.  Here is my goal as of now, especially considering how life is right now.  I have a Technics in the basement I am going to see how it works, if it can get me by, I will see about selling everything I have and see what I can come up with.  Maybe doing this I can up my budget.

Big question is, should I keep one of the two Shure carts or are some of these tables with newer carts better?  

• Like 1

Careful purchases after research has always worked well for me too, so I hear you. 

As far as reusing one of your Shure cartridges for your "new" turntable, well they need to be matched to the tonearm (as you may already know).  The cantilever on the cartridge has compliance rating that must be taken into consideration when mating it to a tonearm.  A higher mass tonearm, just for example, a 16.5 gram all aluminum (not graphite) Thorens TP16 MKI tonearm will demand a less compliant cartridge cantilever vs a 7.5 gram graphite Thorens TP16 MKII.  Think of it as buying shock absorbers for a motorcycle vs an F350 diesel truck; a motorcycle shock will be much more compliant vs the F350 shock.  Neither shock is necessary better than the other, just suited to different applications.  It would be ridiculous putting an F350 shock on a motorcycle and vice versa.  Likewise, it would be ridiculous putting a high compliance Shure V15 V on a 16.5g tonearm; it will mercilessly bounce up and down riding the groove (think of a motorcycle shock on an F350) and sound lousy, but would a reasonable choice for a 7.5g tonearm.  Ideally, the tonearm cartridge combination should resonate around 9 to 11 cycles per second (this can be seen on a test record and is cool to watch).

So to answer your question and reiterate:  It depends.  Your cartridge should match your tonearm.  I personally like medium to higher mass tonearms to accommodate moving coil cartridges, which typically have lower compliance vs moving magnet types.  I want that "magic midrange" from my set-up for lifelike vocal reproduction - both cartridge types can do it, but some of the moving coils speak to me.  Your mileage may vary, of course.

There are volumes that could be written on this subject; perhaps others want to chime in.  Many audio people (ahem...present company excluded, of course) do not understand the cartridge can not be thought of independent of the tonearm it is to be used on.  The marriage of the cartridge and tonearm is critical to proper set-up and good sound. 

Andy

• Like 2

@Carlthess40 - I enjoy/appreciate your photog skills !

@The Dude - the budget you've allowed yourself will make the search somewhat difficult in acquiring a quality TT with the features you want that will serve you well for 5-10 years - you will need some luck.  That said, good TT-s can be found on the auction sites and used audio market.  I am partial to Technics myself, as I still own and play the SL1400-MKII that I purchased brand spanking new way back in the 1970's.  It has been upgraded with a cocobolo headshell fitted with a Shure M97xE upgraded with a Jico neoSAS/S stylus, and I enjoy the combo immensely.  Hope you find what you're looking for.

IMG_2006.thumb.jpg.40fd3a8f94fcc5b03d1ec609fb40fd3e.jpg

IMG_2007.thumb.jpg.e8a714490c8f435aaa2ea40881859729.jpg

• Like 3

On 3/18/2020 at 8:56 AM, Tarheel said:

I looked at some Denon tables on line and the prices have shot up.  No personal experience with Fluance turn tables but read the reviews on the RT-83 on youtube.  Table with auto stop, dust cover, and Ortofon Red for $349.99 new, and shipped.  May get you by for a bit.

Read about that .. Not a shabby deal. Think couple use the brand on vinyl thread. Cheers

Edit: has auto stop...