AGM batteries?

DizRotus

Not as surreal as the pandemic, but I learned something else that is wrong with the world and, apparently, it’s my fault.

My business purchased a new 2019 Ford Transit Connect last November.  It has 1,236 miles on the odometer.  Probably a dozen times it has been stone cold dead when our salesperson tried to start it in the morning.  I jump started it, but it would die as soon as the jumper cables are disconnected.  Eventually, it would stay running and recharge in approximately 30 minutes, only to repeat the cycle in the morning.

Naturally, I assumed something is wrong with the charging system; the alternator, battery, or something else.  Imagine my surprise when the service manager informed me it is my fault for not driving it enough.  He handed me the attachment.  Where was this information when I purchased the vehicle?

What say you Carl?  @CECAA850

AGM battery scolding.pdf

He's correct.  You need a battery tender or similar.  Don't rely on the alternator to give it a proper charge unless you're planning on doing it over a long trip.  Idling in the driveway won't charge it much as the alternator isn't spinning fast enough to run your electronics AND properly charge the battery especially if It's really low.  If you decide to get a battery tender be sure it's rated for AGM batteries as they need to be charged at a lower voltage than traditional lead acid batteries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Carl,

Do you have personal experience with the charger you linked?  

Why wasn’t this explained at the sale or delivery?  Does your dealership explain this?

@CECAA850

The brand, yes, I have a couple and have one on my garage queen and one on my whole house generator.  That particular model?  No.

If a customer asks a salesman a question about storage, they'll get with me and I'll talk with them. 

As a rule, they don't cover every possible ownership scenario, no.

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

As a rule, they don't cover every possible ownership scenario, no.

I hear you, but it would seem appropriate to mention this when selling a commercial  vehicle that will get sporadic use.  As @JJkizak indicated, not everyone is familiar with AGM batteries.  Although, I must confess, the two cars shown below had trunk mounted AGM batteries, but they were not as fussy as this Ford assembled in Valencia Espana.

post-6832-0-04320000-1465385688_thumb.jpg

58d1a9cd7c056_Rotus_75_rear.thumb.jpg.2c0ebce01c810ca93c71709ae01e0088.jpg

9 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

I hear you, but it would seem appropriate to mention this when selling a commercial  vehicle that will get sporadic use.

To me, I would think that a commercial vehicle would get constant use.  Most of the commercial stuff that comes through her doesn't sit still for very long.

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

To me, I would think that a commercial vehicle would get constant use.  Most of the commercial stuff that comes through her doesn't sit still for very long.

That makes sense, but this van never travels very far and can go days without moving.  Our 2012 Ford Transit Connect has a lead acid battery and it has never required a trickle charge under similar use.  We also have a 2005  Chevy Astro van that is semi-retired.  It sits idle for weeks and always fires right up.  

3 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

That makes sense, but this van never travels very far and can go days without moving.  Our 2012 Ford Transit Connect has a lead acid battery and it has never required a trickle charge under similar use.  We also have a 2005  Chevy Astro van that is semi-retired.  It sits idle for weeks and always fires right up.  

More modules, more draw in vehicles now.  Ours can draw up to .06A after everything goes to sleep and still be considered normal.  You also don't want to leave your key anywhere the vehicle can "see" it as it'll normally keep at least one module awake.  Always keep the keys away from the vehicle when parked for extended lengths of time.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Harley, Porsche,  Mustang . . . what about a Renault or Citroen?  Where’s your Gallic pride?

@mustang_flht

😁

I also had a Guzzi California for 10 years, it is a very beautiful Italian motorcycle, but there is no French motorcycle.

For cars there are no longer too many beautiful French cars, while in time there are some very beautiful: for example the Citroën DS.

Today there are again beautiful cars made in France, but at the top of the range: the Alpine A110 and also, but there it is really inaccessible the Bugatti which are made in Alsace.

• Like 1