AGM batteries?

DizRotus

@mustang_flht  are you familiar with Click and Clack?

https://www.npr.org/podcasts/510208/car-talk

The program was on public radio for many years.  Tom Magliozzi, Click, frequently said, “When it comes to cars, the French copy no one and no one copies the French.”

I miss listening to those guys.

• Like 1

@DizRotus

no i don't know, thanks for the link i will watch.

You have a famous brand that pays homage to a Frenchman who founded the automobile city of Detroit: the brand is Cadillac, the gentleman is Antoine de Lamothe-Cadillac.

Here Cadillac is a small town with us in Gascogne, South West of France...

😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So let me get this straight. They put batteries in vehicles now that will not survive overnight discharging the current that all the sheet that they put in the cars need to stay in standby overnIght? Why? Sounds like an epic fail.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mustang_flht said:

No i don't know, thanks for the link i will watch

I think you’ll find them an acquired taste that you won’t feel a need to acquire.

Tom and Ray graduated from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).  Despite having degrees from that prestigious institution, they fashioned a career as auto mechanics and radio show hosts.

Detroit has a lot of French influences, starting with its name.  Many assume the French sounding name, Chevrolet, of the brothers Louis and Gaston, makes them French, when they were actually Swiss.

• Thanks 1

I was almost mentioned on The Puzzler.  They wanted to know what was special about the word facetious.  I told them of course it is vowels in a row.  There are many.

I said they should ask what word has the vowels in reverse order.  There is only one exept for a very odd medical term.

They disussed that I had written a little computer program to find the reverse vowel as I described. 

Ray told Tom not to say the word on the air and they would use it in another The Puzzler.  But they never did.  I didn't even get a pair of fuzzy dice.  Maybe I should have written my message to them on a $20 bill as they requested.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WMcD said:

I was almost mentioned on The Puzzler.  They wanted to know what was special about the word facetious.  I told them of course it is vowels in a row.  I said they sould as what word has the vowels in reverse order.  

They disussed that I had written a little computer program as I described. 

Ray told Tom not to say the word on the air and they would use it in another The Puzzler.  But they never did.  I didn't even get a pair of fuzzy dice.

Bummer.  I was a caller on the show.  They opined whether GM was right to deny a warranty claim for a busted timing chain in a Saturn at under 10,000 miles.  Other than speaking with them, there was no reward.

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

Dave,

I assume that's directed to @mustang_flht, rather than me.  Hard to get too excited about a Ford Transit Connect.

Had my Harley and my Porsche and now driving my Nissan Maxima from 1997 w/104k on it.  Got a while yet before I need something new but that's just crazy to even think about having on anything new today.  

1 hour ago, mustang_flht said:

@DizRotus

no i don't know, thanks for the link i will watch.

You have a famous brand that pays homage to a Frenchman who founded the automobile city of Detroit: the brand is Cadillac, the gentleman is Antoine de Lamothe-Cadillac.

Here Cadillac is a small town with us in Gascogne, South West of France...

😀

That would be Henry Ford that put Detroit on the map. GM was not there for that.

Cadillac, the man, lived many years before Ford or Cadillac, the car.

Henry Ford was involved with what became Cadillac long before it became part of GM.   The following is from Wikipedia about Henry Ford:

With the help of C. Harold Wills, Ford designed, built, and successfully raced a 26-horsepower automobile in October 1901. With this success, Murphy and other stockholders in the Detroit Automobile Company formed the Henry Ford Company on November 30, 1901, with Ford as chief engineer.[12] In 1902, Murphy brought in Henry M. Leland as a consultant; Ford, in response, left the company bearing his name. With Ford gone, Murphy renamed the company the Cadillac Automobile Company.”

Cadillac was acquired by GM in 1909.  Arguably, Ford put Detroit on the map in 1913 when it introduced the moving assembly line at its plant in Highland Park, Michigan, not actually in Detoit. I drive by that now empty historic site when I go to downtown Detroit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, babadono said:

So let me get this straight. They put batteries in vehicles now that will not survive overnight discharging the current that all the sheet that they put in the cars need to stay in standby overnIght? Why? Sounds like an epic fail.

Um no.  They will not discharge overnight.

11 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Um no.  They will not discharge overnight.

Mine did, repeatedly.  I was not warned that this “sophisticated” vehicle has hidden modules that continue to run and will repeatedly drain the AGM battery overnight after being driven the day before.  I naively thought this vehicle, like many modern vehicles, would override my stupidity if the lights were left on, a door left ajar, etc. and shut it down to save the battery.  I was not warned that diligence regarding such issues was useless, as the vehicle was designed and manufactured with an electrical system ill equipped to power stealth modules without draining the AGM overnight.  I agree with @babadono; this is a failure in design and, at the very least, a failure in managing expectations, by failing to warn that the battery must be supplemented by a charger.  Did not Ford anticipate that this commercial vehicle could be parked in an airport parking lot for a week while the owner was travelling on business?  How pissed would you be to return from a business trip to be greeted by a dead vehicle?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Mine did, repeatedly.  I was not warned that this “sophisticated” vehicle has hidden modules that continue to run and will repeatedly drain the AGM battery overnight after being driven the day before.  I naively thought this vehicle, like many modern vehicles, would override my stupidity if the lights were left on, a door left ajar, etc. and shut it down to save the battery.  I was not warned that diligence regarding such issues was useless, as the vehicle was designed and manufactured with an electrical system ill equipped to power stealth modules without draining the AGM overnight.  I agree with @babadono; this is a failure in design and, at the very least, a failure in managing expectations, by failing to warn that the battery must be supplemented by a charger.  Did not Ford anticipate that this commercial vehicle could be parked in an airport parking lot for a week while the owner was travelling on business?  How pissed would you be to return from a business trip to be greeted by a dead vehicle?

Without seeing your vehicle, I would say that once the battery got to a certain state of discharge, it would react that way.  A fully charged battery should never discharge over night.  If you want to see how many amps it's pulling when all the modules are asleep, either call or PM me and I'll walk you through the process.  It's very simple.

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

Mine did, repeatedly.  I was not warned that this “sophisticated” vehicle has hidden modules that continue to run and will repeatedly drain the AGM battery overnight after being driven the day before.  I naively thought this vehicle, like many modern vehicles, would override my stupidity if the lights were left on, a door left ajar, etc. and shut it down to save the battery.  I was not warned that diligence regarding such issues was useless, as the vehicle was designed and manufactured with an electrical system ill equipped to power stealth modules without draining the AGM overnight.  I agree with @babadono; this is a failure in design and, at the very least, a failure in managing expectations, by failing to warn that the battery must be supplemented by a charger.  Did not Ford anticipate that this commercial vehicle could be parked in an airport parking lot for a week while the owner was travelling on business?  How pissed would you be to return from a business trip to be greeted by a dead vehicle?

Have you seen Ctek or other maintainer?

Change the battery with a new one and use a charge maintainer!

Modern cars do this, if the battery is too low the vehicle will go into safety, impossible to start. I had this surprise with my 2010 Mustang, nothing more without warning: battery change and purchase of a Ctek

https://www.ctek.com/

https://www.ctek.com/products

I have a battery story--I have 3 Corvettes that hardly get driven. Several years back I purchased expensive Optima gel batteries for all 3 because of the claim that they will hold a charge longer. I always use battery tender trickle chargers to keep the batteries fully charged. I went to use one car after it was sitting for 6 months or so, and the battery was dead. I tried charging with different chargers to no avail. The batteries have a 5 year warranty, so I took it back to the store where I purchased it. The guy behind the counter told me that it was my fault because I needed a special charger for the battery ($200.00). I told him I had purchased 3 batteries at the same time, and the other 2 were just fine. He continued to argue with me that you cannot possibly charge that type of battery with conventional means. So I said, are you sure? Absolutely, he said. So I asked him what kind of special charging system do you install in the cars you install these batteries in? I don't understand, he says. Well, all cars have the same alternators that are used to charge standard batteries, so why don't I need a special charger in my car for this battery? I got my new battery and its been holding a charge(along with the other 2) for 8 years using the battery tender trickle chargers.