Urban/rural survival food

Bosco-d-gama

Nice thread and an interesting read.  Logic and sanity will prevail just as it always does.    Plans are beginning to roll out daily and hopefully everyone is on the same page, which I think they are or soon will be.  Everyone will soon start planning their meals to fully utilize what they have on hand.  We all have our great old "survival" standards we grew up on and now ya just put it all together and relax.  We'll all make it we always have.  As soon as the weather breaks my flower beds are going to become tomato beds.  Let the neighbors pick what they want within reason.  We're all in it together and it's not going to go away anytime soon!  Carry on!  :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Never could do the ramen noodle things. They tasted like styrofoam to me. But there are lots of memories added here. Fried bologna - heck yeah. No mention of grilled cheese - til now. PB&J was always an option and the ingredients stored well so you could buy them in hefty sizes and economize. I preferred chunky. 

• Like 2

I never really had to skimp money wise thank god after getting out on my own, but easy was nice and cheap was good due to spending money on smart things. Weed, beer strippers etc. I used to like mac and cheese with hotdogs cut up in it, Or what I call hillbilly chili. Just beans, tomato sauce, and some ground beef. Added onions if going all out. We would go camping and take a few cases of campbells soup.  And a lot of beer. Ramian noodles aren't bad, if you can take the salt. sardines are not bad either. My dad and I would eat the nasty old vienna sausages, and potted meat when I was a kid. And then theres spam!      

• Like 1

In college.. a month before the next quarter started (and financial aid kicked in), wasn't working and was down to my last few dollars. Lots of ramen, Mac and cheese, hot dogs, and occasional leftovers from roommates. I could have asked for money from my folks but wanted to see what it was like to really be hungry and knew I could make it through the month. 

Car ran out of fuel so I biked everywhere. Kept losing weight and I'm a skinny dude to start with. 

Ever since I've worked and saved and have done quite well, but I'll always remember that lean month. 

Mom was pissed when I told her that story a few years later.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Hell, I just finished that last one.  I'm working on about 4 bottles of Brians stuff now.

So you are telling me a little bottle kicked your butt for six months!!! Tell me how long Brian's bottles will last.

14 minutes ago, Dave A said:

So you are telling me a little bottle kicked your butt for six months!!! Tell me how long Brian's bottles will last.

Not long, maybe a month.  They're 2 completely different things.  I also don't use them every meal or even every day, just on certain foods.  Mostly things like pizza or Mexican.

Growing up we ate lot of spam & noodles, hot dogs and top ramen-- chili dogs if we were lucky. Any fresh vegetables came from grandmas garden otherwise it was canned corn & green beans. Oh fried potatoes were a hit.  

• Like 2

Oh yeah.......   I did enjoy those canned ‘new’ potatoes. Seems like I ate a lot of canned corned beef hash too. It was pretty close to dog food consistency but chocked full of fatty calories and loads of salty sodium......   yuuuuuummmy. Spent one summer living on Catalina isle and snorkeled for abalones. Had a deal with the owner of the A&W burger place. I give the guy one abalone and he’d let me use his industrial meat slicer to process mine. Now I wonder if I contaminated anything? Oh well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1