What do you put on your feet?

mr clean

I have very wide feet and so wear New Balance high end walking shoes in black.  These pass business casual requirements so far.  In thepast I wore less than black athletic shoes with business atire and a street person mocked me.  A mendicant fashion authority.

For socks I like Thorlos.  There is a lot of padding.  Under them I've worn mostly cotton booties.  I don't quite believe the Thorlo's claim that they wick moisture.  The cotton helps.

The combination is particularly good in winter.  My theory is that keeping the outside of the shoes cold prevents snow from melting and getting them wet.  Good in summer too.

In college it was always Frye boots.  Later in business I had Florscheim double welt wingtips which my wife called gunboats.  I learned, upon purchase, to have a cobbler put on rubber half soles and a rubber heel peg.  I later bought two pair and they are flexible as iron.

Story:  I worked in a carpeted office and wore boots for the commute and then Florscheim penny loafers at work.  They only saw carpet and no pavement  After six months the stitching at the instep pulled out (probably a width issue).  I brought them back to the Florscheim store and asked whether they could repair them at my cost.  The salesman  got very excited looking them over and said, "This is terrible, you've hardly worn them at all (looking at the soles).  I'll give you a new pair."  He would not take my money.

WMcD

WMcD

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Had/have a great pair of Panama Joes, and some very comfy Bjorn. Changed to some New Balance, which were great being all synthetic and surviving our often wet Chattanooga weather. Second pair started having a squeak when I walked, so I can't sneak up on anyone...

@ssh   How are the Tecovas? Been tempted to get a pair.

• Like 1

Adidas on my feet for several decades.

Unfortunately, the models that I like dropped down in quality, so it seems New Balance in the future for me. Tried Nike before, but they are too narrow for me.

Shoes - the best leather and comfort that I can afford. Avoiding synthetics, can not wear it.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, parlophone1 said:

Adidas on my feet for several decades.

Unfortunately, the models that I like dropped down in quality.......

I had the same thing happen with Converse Dr. J.'s. I ordered a retro pair a few years ago and the leather was a LOT thinner and the souls started noticeably wearing after a month or so.

On 3/20/2020 at 7:18 PM, WMcD said:

For socks I like Thorlos.  There is a lot of padding.  Under them I've worn mostly cotton booties.  I don't quite believe the Thorlo's claim that they wick moisture.  The cotton helps.

I bought a bunch of black and dark blue Thorlo socks for work.  They lasted forever wearing every day and I now use them outside.  I also have a few pair of their athletic socks.  Really high quality.  Almost too high quality as all of the fibers can wear off and the mesh will not break. 

I still wear socks every day with my slippers to keep my feet dry.  I now use really cheap socks and just wear them out and them rip them open to use for rags for stuff where I will throw it away like oil, grease, etc.  They make good rags if you rip them open. 

Another hint.  if you slippers (or shoes) make your feet itch at all.  Put them in a plastic bag and tie it shut.  Put it in the freezer for a day or two.  They will come out better than using any foot spray as all of the bacteria will be dead. 

• Like 1

Daily drivers are Thorogood mock toe steel toe. They look great and are super comfortable. I work in manufacturing, in the office, but I spend a lot of time on the plant floor. At home it’s hey dudes. However, the puppy also likes the hey dudes. She won’t leave my feet alone when I wear them. Otherwise Asics for running and all day kid activities. Truthfully I have been wearing my cheap rubber boots from Rural king more than anything lately. Best $25 I have ever spent.