Completed DeanG AA crossovers

jimjimbo

COMPLETED.  I am interested in purchasing a pair of DeanG AA crossovers for my newly acquired vintage La Scalas. Not interested in ALK or Crites. Dean is currently swamped with work, so looking for used. Please PM me with details and photos.

• 2 months later...
15 minutes ago, Outrider 6 said:

@jimjimbo  This is great.  As it happens I have two AA equipped LS.  So a nice place to start!

You are welcome.  There are many places to source caps, and as I said, purely a personal and budget decision.

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

http://www.soniccraft.com/index.php/film-capacitors-c-301

https://www.parts-express.com/cat/film-and-foil-crossover-capacitors/295

These are what I have in my lascalas and after years of fooling with networks nothing has satisfied me more than these in the older Heritage.  They are ALK Super AA-X.........can be found on the ALK Engineering site and easy to convert AAs to these.

I believe DeanG had something to do with these..............I forget the story.

But in the older Lascalas these are great.  Read about what they do.

I have a pair of AAs from 1979 Khorns. One was refreshed with a Crites kit (10 years ago), the other is stock (although I have the un-installed 10 YO Crites caps). PM me if interested in the pair and the parts. I went with new Crites model A last month and I am a happy camper. I'll send pictures.

5 hours ago, ned said:

I have a pair of AAs from 1979 Khorns. One was refreshed with a Crites kit (10 years ago), the other is stock (although I have the un-installed 10 YO Crites caps). PM me if interested in the pair and the parts. I went with new Crites model A last month and I am a happy camper. I'll send pictures.

I would suggest that you post your crossovers that you have available in the garage sale section.

22 hours ago, mark1101 said:

These are what I have in my lascalas and after years of fooling with networks nothing has satisfied me more than these in the older Heritage.  They are ALK Super AA-X.........can be found on the ALK Engineering site and easy to convert AAs to these.

I believe DeanG had something to do with these..............I forget the story.

But in the older Lascalas these are great.  Read about what they do.

I came up with the idea of a Universal with a first order midrange section. This happened after I built a pair of @JohnA's DHA networks. I changed the tweeter section to 3rd order, floated the ground, and added jumpers so the midrange could be adjusted. Al tweaked the tweeter section for a flatter impedance. That network became the Super AA. Later, Al wanted to change the name because I was hurting his sales, and he thought it was because of the name, so he asked me to change it to ALKJr. The work was collaborative and we had a good relationship, and though I was annoyed, whatever.

The Super AA-X is just a dirt cheap version of the Super AA/ALKJr that I built for over a decade. He added the 'X' to deliberately confuse people and to poke me in the eye. I was building the Universal under license, and he decided he wanted to make it an entry level network, building it as cheap as possible (CSW). I refused to build it. I then resurrected the Super AA, made changes, and called it the Super-X so people wouldn't confuse it with the Super AA (they are not the same). He then coughs that thing up and calls it AA-X. 

I think it's funny that after everything you've heard that you think that junk build is the end all. You don't think I built that thing and listened to it?

Sorry Jimjimbo..........Last one.

Dean, I didn't use Audyn caps.  But, yes in 1977 lascalas I am very happy.  Sounds more pleasing to me than some beefed up AAs in those speakers.  I have Dave's wooden tractrix mid horns and I replaced the worn tweeter and mid drivers with all new same Klipsch drivers.  I'm done with those.

• 3 years later...

Deang -I bought a pair of Super AA's from AL they sound worse than the stock 40 yr old ones I replaced. 

Al took my old x-overs in trade so now I'm stuck with worse sounding x-overs. 

I was reading his marketing copy regarding the SUper AA's being a huge upgrade and now I just feel like I was grifted by Al. In fact, I reached out to Al and he just doesn't care.  So sad. Please advise if the x-overs I have are salvagable.

On 11/1/2023 at 1:19 PM, bsacco1 said:

Deang -I bought a pair of Super AA's from AL they sound worse than the stock 40 yr old ones I replaced. 

I was reading his marketing copy regarding the SUper AA's being a huge upgrade and now I just feel like I was grifted by Al. In fact, I reached out to Al and he just doesn't care.  So sad. Please advise if the x-overs I have are salvagable.

Do you wanna sell 'em? ;)

On 11/1/2023 at 2:19 PM, bsacco1 said:

you could  purchase a  klipsch genuine capacitor KIT for the AA  from JEM , JEM can solder the kit   if you cant 

contact Jim by PM @JEM Performance

412-401-6915 or email theaudioroom@verizon.net 

https://jemperformanceaudio.com/