A55G with AK2, plus a few Qs?

Klipschguy

Greetings folks,

1) Would the A55G mid horn driver be properly voice when used with the AK2 network (Khorn)?

2) Would it be beneficial to upgrade the AK2 to the AK3 when using the A55G (or even in general)?

3) Do you all still consider the A55G to be the "bee's knees", or has that impression cooled off a bit?

4) Does anyone know where the A55G is made?

Best regards,

Andy

The AK-2 XO is considered to be one of the worst sounding Klipsch has ever produced and worse, is not even worth upgrading. It should be replaced.   See Crites website for replacement suggestions, including the AA, AK-3 and A/4500, the latter requiring a more robust tweeter.

Disclaimer:  I used to own the Khorn w/Type AA, and replaced it with the A/4500.

It does not take much to convert the AK-2 into an AK-3, I did it.  You have to replace the two 70uf caps in the woofer circuit with two 50uf's.  Change the autoformer from a T5A to a T4A and change the coil I believe to a 5mh but it has been a number or years.  I updated all the caps in the network as well while I was at it.

7 hours ago, wvu80 said:

The AK-2 XO is considered to be one of the worst sounding Klipsch has ever produced and worse, is not even worth upgrading. It should be replaced.   See Crites website for replacement suggestions, including the AA, AK-3 and A/4500, the latter requiring a more robust tweeter.

Disclaimer:  I used to own the Khorn w/Type AA, and replaced it with the A/4500.

Not true at all. Stop! The AK-2 fine!

5 hours ago, Deang said:

Not true at all. Stop! The AK-2 fine!

Crites doesn't seem to think so and that is what I based my opinion on.  Crites doesn't even offer a rebuild kit for the Ak-2.  

https://critesspeakers.com/crossover_repair_kits.html

I used to own the Type AA and the Crites A/4500.  If you would care to review the links I posted and update me, perhaps I mis-read.  I do make mistakes!

Here is a picture of our AK-3 crossover for the Klipschorn.  We recommend that the AK or AK-2 crossovers be replaced with the AK-3, Type AA or Type A/4500.  (emphasis mine)

https://critesspeakers.com/crossovers.html

20 hours ago, Klipschguy said:

Greetings folks,

1) Would the A55G mid horn driver be properly voice when used with the AK2 network (Khorn)?

2) Would it be beneficial to upgrade the AK2 to the AK3 when using the A55G (or even in general)?

3) Do you all still consider the A55G to be the "bee's knees", or has that impression cooled off a bit?

4) Does anyone know where the A55G is made?

Best regards,

Andy

20 hours ago, Klipschguy said:

I would consider the crossover network to be one of the most important things in a loudspeaker so, if your crossover sucks, there isn't a single chance the rest will sing.

Start from there, then eventually upgrade your drivers.

A55G is great, really worth the money IMHO.

@jimjimbo prefers a modified AA with an extra 3dB of attenuation applied to the midrange. This is a popular mod.

Al's "Super" AA is designed with an extra 3dB of attenuation on the midrange, and his Cornscalawail is sent out that way too. 

So who wants to guess how much attenuation the AK-2 has?

The AK-2 has 6db of attenuation which even the guys in the lab at Klipsch agree was a mistake and 2db too much.  They did that based on testing of the prototype of the K-55M which came in 2db higher in output than the K-55V.  Later when they tested production versions of the K-55M they found it was really the same output as the K-55V, so they corrected that back to only 4db in the AK-3.  Dean, I am pretty sure you heard that story the same time I did down at Hope.

Bob Crites

32 minutes ago, Deang said:

@jimjimbo prefers a modified AA with an extra 3dB of attenuation applied to the midrange. This is a popular mod.

Al's "Super" AA is designed with an extra 3dB of attenuation on the midrange, and his Cornscalawail is sent out that way too. 

So who wants to guess how much attenuation the AK-2 has?

I do, and have, preferred that modded AA for a number of years. Now using a toxic mix of drivers, and always listening to different combinations, and with a great majority the AA has performed very well.  I'm happy that Al followed my  recommendations about the 3db, and outed the issue of the steel screw in the inductor FFS....

3 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

I'm happy that Al followed my  recommendations about the 3db ...

I'm going to guess you're kidding here, since Al, along with most everyone else here, has been doing this for 20 years. 

6 minutes ago, BEC said:

The AK-2 has 6db of attenuation which even the guys in the lab at Klipsch agree was a mistake and 2db too much.  They did that based on testing of the prototype of the K-55M which came in 2db higher in output than the K-55V.  Later when they tested production versions of the K-55M they found it was really the same output as the K-55V, so they corrected that back to only 4db in the AK-3.  Dean, I am pretty sure you heard that story the same time I did down at Hope.

Bob Crites

Yep. Just was pointing out that since so many prefer that level of attenuation anyways, many will find the AK-2 just fine - especially headbangers and people who really enjoy live level listening. I personally find 6dB too subdued at normal listening levels.