Rolling Stones – Custom Belle installation?

Endo

Jim,

the story is told of the Rolling Stones delivering their mobile studio to Hope (late 70s/early 80's) in order to have a pair of Belles installed by the factory. Can you speak to this–and do you happen to have any photos of the installation?

Thanks,

Endo

• Like 3

On 3/20/2020 at 1:04 PM, Endo said:

Jim,

the story is told of the Rolling Stones delivering their mobile studio to Hope (late 70s/early 80's) in order to have a pair of Belles installed by the factory. Can you speak to this–and do you happen to have any photos of the installation?

Thanks,

Endo

I was working there when that happened, but not sure JRH was working there, yet ,at that time.  A pair of Belles were installed as studio monitors, mounted up high and upside-down, angled downwards to some extent, and toed-in to some extent.  The mobile studio arrived as two separate units, they were aligned and put together, and the installation took about one entire work day.  The mobile studio units were already temporarily at the plant, in the loading areas in front of the plant itself, waiting for us when we arrived for work that day, whereupon they were told where to park them and put them together.  I'm sure that a number of pics were taken, but have no idea who has them, if none were archived...maybe Gary Gillum?  As far as I know that was the only time that any mobile recording studio ever had Belles mounted inside at the plant, itself. from July 1976 thru October 1983, while I was an employee, anyway.  There were a few weeks that I was on temporary voluntary lay-off one year, though!

• Like 2

• Moderators
On 3/20/2020 at 1:04 PM, Endo said:

Jim,

Thanks,

Endo

It wasn't the Rolling Stones truck, it was Brian Ahern's Enactron truck. The truck is in the American Music Hall of Fame in Nashville, sans speakers. I think @HDBRbuilder may be misremembering this. It is well documented the Enactron truck was at least partially built, put together in the timeframe that Andy speaks of.

The Rolling Stones mobile truck was started in 1969 and built by Ian Stewart and Glynn Johns, it looks distinctly like a British truck. I don't believe it ever hit US soil until the '90s. It's currently in Canada at a recording arts museum 

@JRH may have some photos, he would have to speak to that. Here is the ad about Belle's being in the Enactron and some photos, the speakers are very difficult to see in photos, they are tucked out of the way and incorporated underneath the console I believe.

thehalifacts.ca_wp-content_uploads_2014_11_keith-richards.png

unnamed.jpg

thehalifacts.ca_wp-content_uploads_2014_11_BAKnopflerEnactron.jpg

thehalifacts.ca_wp-content_uploads_2014_11_Emmy-Ahern-and-Sphere.jpg

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

I never said it was the rolling Stones mobile studio, but it WAS two trailers which had to be tied together beside the plant for the installation of those Belles.

Actually you did, in another post about 6 months ago, I was too busy at the time to get clarification. That may be where the OP (and me) got the "Rolling Stones" from.

Travis

P.S. But maybe I am wrong on seeing that post from you, now I'm wondering.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Actually you did, in another post about 6 months ago, I was too busy at the time to get clarification. That may be where the OP (and me) got the "Rolling Stones" from.

Travis

P.S. But maybe I am wrong on seeing that post from you, now I'm wondering.

Good lord, I was only off by four years, seemed like 6 months ago, I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

• 1 year later...

I believe the truck posted above is the Enactron Truck, parked at 9500 Lania Lane of Coldwater Canyon in Beverly Hills. The man in the plaid shirt with the curly hair is sound engineer Bradly Hartman. 

• Like 1

There are several pictures of the Enactron truck at K&A in the 75th Anniversary book which is imminent.  In one, Curtis Putnam (Klipsch Engineer) is strumming Emmylou's guitar.

And here is the American Studios pic I promised over a year ago!

Photo 700000 Studio - American with Belles102.jpg

• Like 7

On 3/25/2020 at 6:01 PM, dwilawyer said:

Good lord, I was only off by four years, seemed like 6 months ago, I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Have ya ever experienced a tiny Chihuahua biting thru yer socks at yer ankles with them tiny sharp teeth, and ya just can't let yerself just kick it away?🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...

@JRH I’m assisting on a documentary and am interested in including the photo you posted that includes Don Peterson. Is this a photo you took or is this from the 75th Anniversary Klipsch book? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!