Best Horn Subwoofer for Heritage Music System

BeFuddledinMn

Ok, I need some advice and information before I embark upon a DIY horn subwoofer to enhance my Klipschorn and Lascala music experience. I’ve read a bit about the THT LP and the F20 for my application and practical space considerations and believe that one of these two designs is probably best for my needs. I intend to maintain a passive network system, with a multi channel amp system to drive the subwoofer.

I’m interested in getting more clarity around a few things:

What does the 1watt/1 meter sensitivity levels and distortion levels look like on these two designs at say 25hz and 30hz? Anybody have measurements / specs on this?

Based upon those specs, can either or both be used without equalization to provide flat frequency response with handoffs from 25hz to 50-80hz. (Let’s say -3db down at 25hz from a Klipsch system 104db sensitivity)?

Can either design utilize an 18” woofer to real advantage?

Is the THT LP worth the extra build difficulty?

Thank you in advance.

6 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Let me have a look at some side by graphs.  Same room, both subs.  Link me to some articles where both subs were subjectively unbiasedly compared.  I would enjoy the read. 

I'm not holding your hand here, there is plenty of information available out there on both and tons to learn in the process.

That's what I thought.

I've actually read quite a lot and looked for exactly that information and haven't seen anything other than BFM fan boys random comments.  I'd really like to see some objective data on this as I've only had my ears to judge up to this point and really hear no difference.  I've heard both.  I'm always willing to learn but have no use for comments without facts.  I am not nor ever have been affiliated with BFM or Lil Mike.

• Like 1

My comments are based on my notes and my experiences, i don't claim to know everything.

If you really want more information i suggest keeping a folder either on computer or notepad and visit not only other loudspeaker building forums but google what you read but don't understand.

I have no affiliation with either as well and that's how i learned over the years.

You mean no current affiliation and you certainly can't claim no bias.  My comments are only based on building and listening to them both.  Maybe next time I build one I'll invest in some measuring equipment.  If there's a SQ difference, it has to be minimal at best.  There's no question which one is easier to build which was the OP's original question.

Glad to hear that your pops is doing better.

8 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Glad to hear that your pops is doing better.

Thank you.

If you were not so defensive and every time i try to explain something your buddy shows up and makes stupid comments i would be happy to be of more assistance.