Calibrated microphone -best bang for the buck

Alexander

Will be looking to get a calibrated microphone and am looking for models that you all have tried. Cost is a factor of course but if there is one better than another for maybe $20-30 one would only buy one once and not have to replace it later.

27 minutes ago, Alexander said:

Will be looking to get a calibrated microphone and am looking for models that you all have tried. Cost is a factor of course but if there is one better than another for maybe $20-30 one would only buy one once and not have to replace it later.

https://www.soundimports.eu/en/umik-1.html

try to get it from a local audio dealer somewhere in the USA , I can highly recommend it and use it myself for my measurements at home, even when ist is a little more expensive ...

12 hours ago, Alexander said:

I think the going price is about $75.00 to $100.00; calibration does not come cheap.  You may want one that allows you to enter the calibration their lab derived when measuring the mic into REW (which is free)..  Look for a USB mic so yon won't need a mic preamp (I think).   There is an LVC thread on this.  I recommend reading it. 

https://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/umik-1

knipsel.jpg

• 1 month later...

I guess my first question is (since your price point is so low) why do you want and/or require a calibrated microphone?

43 minutes ago, artto said:

I guess my first question is (since your price point is so low) why do you want and/or require a calibrated microphone?

After re-reading my original post I see I left out two key word, they were “an extra” before the $20-$30  :)

6 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

is an ambisonic mic really needed for this kind of measurement work? Seems like it’s meant for music/voice recording work.

I don't know but a casual look at the Wiki it seems to cover the surround world. Appears to me more like McIntosh's Room Perfect (had the stand alone and have it in the processor now) than Audessey (sp) Pro I had. What S/W to use it with????

• 3 years later...

Hi. Here are some steps to take: 1. Find a quiet recording environment. 2. Adjust microphone settings: Start by checking the microphone's sensitivity and gain settings. You want to find the right balance that captures the subtle sounds without distorting or picking up too much background noise. Experiment with different settings and take test recordings to find the optimal configuration. 3. Position the microphone correctly: common techniques include the "ear-to-ear" setup, where the microphone is positioned on either side of the listener's head, or the "binaural" setup, where two microphones are used to create a 3D audio effect. 4. Test and monitor the audio: Before recording your ASMR content, it's essential to test the audio quality. Use headphones to listen for any background noise, distortions, or other unwanted sounds. As for specific mic recs, here are the reviews to check out https://asmrmicrophones.com/. LMK if you need more help.

Edited by Matt6VZ