DIY Wooden K400 Horns - Help Connecting Driver?

Robbie010

So, I’m desperate! My clone la scala are all but finished and I’ve now been waiting 12 weeks for the mid-range horns to arrive. Things being the way they are at the minute I can’t see them arriving anytime soon....... so I made an attempt at a wooden clone but I am struggling with the transition from horn to driver. 

Here is where I am at:

825A258E-BF30-4D70-8A02-D180A2DFFEB8.jpeg.357acc3530c35390636cca14ff4e08ea.jpeg

F3DA5C56-B4DD-4CDF-85F8-62CCF7E66277.jpeg.2a4971851a48506ab9ca8d110981ef9a.jpeg

DAF329E6-5C52-4F39-9FC9-C20539361FB2.jpeg.4c0aa06637a43369926bcc93b0651459.jpeg

Has Anyone done this?  Can you please provide details or pics or guidance how to connect the driver?

Thanks. 

• Like 2

Using a K-55 ?

Pick up two of >these<.

Cut a round piece of good plywood to mount on the end of the horn throat large enough to cover the throat and mount the new adapter. Use the adapter as a template for the rest.

The adapter will need to be bolted or screwed on, check for clearance issues before installing, glue the new end on the horn, allow to dry and bolt on the adapter and screw in the driver.

• Thanks 1

You're close.  If the dimensions are correct, you can dump the round hole into a square section of almost thee same size.  Maybe ream a 5/8" square to 18mm for 10 to 15mm in length and bolt the threaded adapter shown above to the horn centered on the reamed hole. 

This is a Klipsch K-5-J.  It used a very similar threaded adaptor. 

BTW, can you tell those laggards at Ubuntu to fix samba in my 18.04 LTS?  😉

K-5-J throat.jpg

K-5-J throat inner.jpg

• Like 2

22 hours ago, jason str said:

Using a K-55 ?

Pick up two of >these<.

Cut a round piece of good plywood to mount on the end of the horn throat large enough to cover the throat and mount the new adapter. Use the adapter as a template for the rest.

The adapter will need to be bolted or screwed on, check for clearance issues before installing, glue the new end on the horn, allow to dry and bolt on the adapter and screw in the driver.

Bought a couple of the adapters and managed to make a flange to attach it..... very rough and ready but it might not sound awful..... has to be better than listening without a horn at all! 😳

6AD30A36-849D-4F7B-8AE0-A43A13C23EF2.jpeg

79935D46-76BC-4ECA-91C9-193044D59B97.jpeg

15AE1B58-0EB6-49CC-877E-FFE2772BAEF8.jpeg

• Like 4

It will work fine, if you want to take it a step further while waiting for the new adapters you can use that first one and file it as a transition from the round adapter to the rectangular horn throat. You can layer another on top and repeat if needed. Let us know how they sound.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jason str said:

It will work fine, if you want to take it a step further while waiting for the new adapters you can use that first one and file it as a transition from the round adapter to the rectangular horn throat. You can layer another on top and repeat if needed. Let us know how they sound.

I did that, in a very rough manner! Once the glue dries I’ll have another go at making it a little neater. The adapters should be here in the morning so I will at least be able to test one out!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Randyh said:

- great ,  a perfect  fit  - can you take a photo of the inside of the horn -  2 questions  ,  what material did you use for the side walls , is this maconite , and  , second how did you calculate the  size of the horn -

I’m not too sure about a perfect fit! It’ll be pretty close when its done but is only intended as a stop gap until the proper horns turn up. 

I had some old 9mm MDF lying around which is what I used for the side walls. 

I found the details online for the dimensions:

05101E93-8EA2-4E8F-B92E-2E4AD6598AF3.jpeg

D0E9CD54-0A38-4865-996C-883F883FA8F3.jpeg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Randyh said:

did the MDF bend easily ,

fairly easy, it was just about on the limit though as it did crack in one place but a bit of glue and a clamp sorted that. 

The original post I read recommended using two layers of 6mm ply or mdf. 

If I was doing it again I would possibly dampen the mdf a little and try clamping it in place over night so that it takes the shape before glueing snd screwing. 

• Like 2