DIY Wooden K400 Horns - Help Connecting Driver?

Robbie010

1 hour ago, Randyh said:

a mold can be made

I'm thinkin' a mold is made and that a second-party version would be problematic for the entity in its possession.

46 minutes ago, WMcD said:

Nice work on the wooden K-400 varient.

I concur.  It appears as though you just might could cancel your order for whatever it is you're waiting for before it's all said and done!

23 hours ago, Robbie010 said:

Two very rough looking horns.... done!

Now I can see what all the fuss is about!

A8227643-8551-4B3D-8131-966A42CCA9C9.jpeg

Rather nice job, Robbie!  How do they sound?  You just may want to keep those.  I think you'll want to make sure the cab opening and horn mouth mate up well.  I also lined the squawker opening of mine with heavy felt the thickness of the plywood. 

Love the contrast in colours. 

37 minutes ago, JohnA said:

Rather nice job, Robbie!  How do they sound?  You just may want to keep those.  I think you'll want to make sure the cab opening and horn mouth mate up well.  I also lined the squawker opening of mine with heavy felt the thickness of the plywood. 

Love the contrast in colours. 

The horns are very rough and only held in place with a couple of wooden blocks. To be honest, because I have a set K401 on their way (whenever they turn up) I really didn’t take too much care with the construction and finishing of these, however, they seem to be doing the trick. They are certainly allowing me to experience what the la Scala can do and I’m mightily impressed. 

At some point I may take the time to make a another set that are properly finished. 

• Like 2

Long ago I made a set of very similar horns.  Working with wood for most of the unit is workable but I didn't find a way of threading wood to take the driver.

OTOH bringing the throat down to a 1.0 inch (or so) diameter is not a problem and I used a plywood disk about 3 inch diameter with a 1.0 inch hole glued and screwed on the end. The the adapter can be bolted to it.  Very hand for any design using that type of screw-on driver.

It is necessary to design for the bolt heads of course. 

The link for this version is in my earlier post. 

WMcD 

female to bolt-on adapter.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm impressed. You made loudspeakers which I love for their classic look. An unsurpassed pattern for me. Implementation of such is my plan. I have many questions that I am looking for answers in this forum. Because I live in Poland, I don't have access to many parts. Importing from the US is very expensive, so for example making wooden horns is a good idea for me. Can you provide information where I can find detailed dimensions? And the second question that bothers me is whether the stereo effect is preserved with such a close spacing of Klipsch La Scala. I have little space and the speakers would stand about 40 "apart.

On 2.06.2020 at 05:01, codewritinfool said:

40 ”jest bardzo blisko, ale przyznaję, że kiedy prawie się dotykają, słuchałem mojego przenośnego La Scalas z leżakiem. Efekt stereo nie jest idealny, ale nadal występuje.

And what is the minimum spacing of Klipsch La Scala to maintain good stereo?

On 6/3/2020 at 12:07 PM, mwnaplus said:

And what is the minimum spacing of Klipsch La Scala to maintain good stereo?

Imagine a triangle with the three corners containing your speakers and you. If the speakers are 40" apart, and they are toed in 45 degrees, then the sweet spot with be at 20" back and center. As you toe the speakers out, the sweet spot will move back in proportion to the laws of trigonometry. Try to keep them toed in as much as possible to avoid reflections of the side walls. 

• Like 1