How to clean these babies?! :-(

Arash

Hey guys,

these are CW1526C I acquired from Bob back in 2011. they were never used on a speaker and have been lost for 5-6 years and now I have them back. they have been collecting significant amount of dust for themselves apparently. Please tip me how to clean them? I will give the basket a wipe I want to know how to clean the diaphragm and surround.  any help is much appreciated.

photo_2020-03-26_01-29-02.jpg

photo_2020-03-26_01-29-08.jpg

• Like 1

No air vacuum with the brush, do not press. The engine must be adjusted weakly. For more security, the air exhaust from the tube must be left a little open!

poignee-flexible-aspirateur.jpg

For inaccessible places you can use a soft brush and a little further hold the brush of the vacuum cleaner running gently. The dust will fly with the soft brush and then be sucked a little further.

pinceau-plat-soie-manche-plastique.jpg

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Arash said:

Hey guys, (respectful snip, just wanted to reference the post)

Arash!  How are you, my friend?  I miss hearing from you.  How is business?  How are things on your side of planet earth?  I depend on you for real news as our media people are not always truthful and put a political bias on what they report. 

You, I trust.  -Dave

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Who would have thought dust to be magnetic??

For years and years there was a marvelous, probably homemade, old speaker up on a high shelf next to the always-open doorway of a bookstore called RamBam (i.e. Moses ben Maimom, aka Maimonides) on the corner of Dwight and Telegraph in Berkeley.  Later, the bookstore was sold, and became Shakespeare and Company.  The speaker stayed, playing away, entertaining all of us who would stand in front of the magazine rack reading I.F. Stone's weekly, Commentary, and the like, for free.  The grille cloth started out yellow.  By the time I left the area (after about 40 years) the part of the grille cloth that was in front of the woofer was black with dust, dirt, tobacco smoke, that other smoke, car exhaust from the street that was right there, and from time to time, tear gas, that had been sucked in by the magnet.   Hopefully, the speaker with the dirty yellow grille with the big dark circle in the center is still there.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Arash!  How are you, my friend?  I miss hearing from you.  How is business?  How are things on your side of planet earth?  I depend on you for real news as our media people are not always truthful and put a political bias on what they report. 

You, I trust.  -Dave

Hi there,

Actually we are doing just fine and we are also trying to stay away from the Coronavirus. In Iran it's new year holidays and I'm busy with the distillation equipment we got to make some rubbing alcohol from sugar wash.

I hope you are doing fine there. Humankind will get through this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, JBCODD said:

Try a residential type vacuum with the brush attachment.

IMG_0970.JPG

thanks for the tip. I'll see if my vacuum cleaner has one of these brushes.

15 hours ago, Randyh said:

compressed air can do very well , just turn down the pressure a bit , and use a  small  paint brush  , gently   as you  blow the AIR , DO NOT USE ANY WATER ----ONLY AIR AND A GENTLE   PAINT BRUSH   TO DISLODGE THE DUST , for the metal surfaces , use rubbing  alcohol 

I thought of that. I'll try and I have to be extra careful not to break the diaphragm.

thanks,

15 hours ago, mustang_flht said:

I've already done cleaning like that, it's perfect!

thanks,

15 hours ago, Randyh said:

a vacuum can pull on the cone  , and deform it , as well as the dust cap  -

I know I know. I'll take care of it.

15 hours ago, mustang_flht said:

No air vacuum with the brush, do not press. The engine must be adjusted weakly. For more security, the air exhaust from the tube must be left a little open!

poignee-flexible-aspirateur.jpg

For inaccessible places you can use a soft brush and a little further hold the brush of the vacuum cleaner running gently. The dust will fly with the soft brush and then be sucked a little further.

pinceau-plat-soie-manche-plastique.jpg

thanks for the tips.

15 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Wow.

I watch CNN int. every morning... ha ha... 😮

14 hours ago, garyrc said:

For years and years there was a marvelous, probably homemade, old speaker up on a high shelf next to the always-open doorway of a bookstore called RamBam (i.e. Moses ben Maimom, aka Maimonides) on the corner of Dwight and Telegraph in Berkeley.  Later, the bookstore was sold, and became Shakespeare and Company.  The speaker stayed, playing away, entertaining all of us who would stand in front of the magazine rack reading I.F. Stone's weekly, Commentary, and the like, for free.  The grille cloth started out yellow.  By the time I left the area (after about 40 years) the part of the grille cloth that was in front of the woofer was black with dust, dirt, tobacco smoke, that other smoke, car exhaust from the street that was right there, and from time to time, tear gas, that had been sucked in by the magnet.   Hopefully, the speaker with the dirty yellow grille with the big dark circle in the center is still there.

some speakers have a long journey indeed. like my late grandpa LS

4 hours ago, Skelt said:

I, for one,  am glad to see @Arash is able to post again considering the current state of afairs of his home country. 

thanks for your kind words.

3 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Hello again friend.  The advice above is good.  No water, gentle vacuum, and brushes.

Hi there,

thanks for the tips. I will use no water for sure.

2 hours ago, Coytee said:

or.....send it back to Bob as defective?

Hmmmm......

😁

2 hours ago, glens said:

Wipe off the frames and play 'em loud.  That'll shake the dust off of the moving parts.  ;^)

that's wise! I'll try it. thanks

1 hour ago, Schu said:

How are things in Iran?

nothing remarkable. just dealing with deadly virus outbreak.

• Like 3