Ebay New Jubilee package deal

DMH

Since this is listed in Alerts and NOT Garage Sale, I will comment. 

Where did this price come from?. Yes, I understand the DSP is included and there is some veneer added. Still ..... I don't get it. 

However, I will say that it is nice that a dealer is assembling a package that is pretty close to plug and play. It is also refreshing to see an honest assessment about what might be involved if the buyer tries to change them from their "stock" form

• Like 1

Being an early adopter had some advantages :emotion-14:

Keep in mind, the listing also says they're located at his location in KY.....  which (as I understand) means someone is going to pay for shipping and that would be HIM, coming out of the purchase price...whereas, if someone bought them like most, and had them delivered from the factory, the factory pays the shipping (built into the price).   So, it seems to me a buyer is paying shipping from the factory to Kentucky.....and then built into the price, paying for shipping from Kentucky to destination.

Add to that, he's got to pay his light bills, insurance....buy some Rice Crispies at the grocery....

Add to THAT, (my understanding that) their original MSRP was going to approximate something around $20K....

Anyway....  looking at his (nicely done) pictures and having painted my 510 International Harvester red......  I'm beginning to think the bottom half of that speaker is "done" but the 402 might look a bit more tailored if it was painted some color....  How about Klipsch Copper?  How about customers choice?

So, idea for Cory.....  take a pair of 402's that you use for display.....  spray paint them each a different color so a prospective buyer can see some OTHER options other than just black.  Someone might prefer avocado green, harvest gold (does anyone remember those icky colors??!!)

I do think the 402's have an industrial appearance about them which is magnified when they're black.  A lifetime ago, I managed 1/2 of a home improvement store and the plumbing/vanity section was one of my responsibilities.....  asked the boss if I could put some special order parts in for display...  "NO".....  so, I did it anyway!!!  Our store was the smallest of the 5 in Indianapolis and did the least special ordering of custom vanities and Kohler items....  after I put my displays up, much to my bosses chagrin.....  within a year, we moved from 5th out of 5 local stores up to #1.  People are far more apt to purchase something if they can SEE it verses looking at a magazine or trying to use their (lack of) imagination.

Add some color and spice them up a bit.  Bonus effect, we can get Cory in a side business.....  painting 402's....followed by Mustangs & Camaro's....:emotion-21:

510 floor.jpg

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, jason str said:

1 vote for safety yellow.

I'd personally love that....  not sure if Canary yellow is same as Safety yellow....  but a bright bright yellow would be nice.

Be aware your dealing with someone here (me) that likes yellow.  Had a yellow 4-4-2 years ago and would love to have another yellow car....but a Camry doesn't cut it.  Has to be a fun car.  So, anything FUN can be yellow!!!  K402's, Sportcars, women in yellow outfits....  :huh:

• Like 2

Perhaps it's good to capture what Cory said in this listing here before it goes away on ebay:

This is for two Klipsch Jubilees, the 2-way configuration, with the walnut "beauty panel", and preprogrammed DSP. Cherry and plain black may be available, just ask.  These are current, not discontinued like some people think when they just google the term "Klipsch Jubilee".  I ship these with a Xilica XP-4080 that is preprogrammed.  As some people say, these are the best speakers that Klipsch doesn't make. ;)

I put way more of these into residential homes than anybody anywhere so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

If you are not familiar with these, they were supposed to be the replacement for the Klipschorn, Paul Klipsch had a long term vision of returning the Klipschorn to a 2-way design and this was the result. Once they existed, he deemed it to be better than the Klipschorn and decided to make it it's own product rather than nix the original Klipschorn.  Unfortunately internal politics kept it from being released to the residential market and they ended up being used in pro cinema, but that was never the original intent. We put the walnut beauty panel on the front to make it feel more at home due to it currently having the commercial black texture paint finish. Combine that with a high end Xilica DSP that is used in some of the top recording studios in the world and you have a true top-tier speaker that some would label as "resi-mercial", somewhere between residential and full commercial use. These outperform the Klipschorns in pretty much every way, they just aren't quite as pretty, but the walnut fronts do help quite a bit.

My weird terms for these particular speakers, please agree to all of them before purchasing:

1. Unless you _really_ know what you are doing, which is probably not the case, I will not sell the speakers separately from the DSP / electronic crossover, these have approved settings and I don't wish to enable a science project.
  2. If you plan to dink with the settings, you must have a halfway current Windows laptop or PC with two USB outlets, a very long USB printer cord, must be able to download the REW software and use a USB microphone such as the UMIK-1 at the same time.
  3. You must be engineer-minded, if you want to just plug an amp into some speakers and forget about it, these are NOT the speakers for you.  We try to make it this way with the plug-and-play DSP but realistically speaking you're probably going to want / need to dink with it at some point.  I'd rather refuse a sale than have a support nightmare on my hands. 
  4. The settings are set up with the idea that you're going to use very quiet amps of the same type and at the same gain, ideally with balanced / XLR cables.  If you want to intermingle RCAs and XLRs or use a tube for the top and solid state for the bottom, you're on your own. 
  5. Speaking of which, these are bi-amp only, you must have four clean amp channels, you cannot only use one stereo amp. 
  6. Please don't just bid out of the blue, please contact me for a consultation first to make sure it's a good match. If I get a bid out of the blue I reserve the right to contact the buyer and consult with them at that point before shipping, I will not blindly ship these.
  7. No returns on these, either be ready to commit or don't buy them. If they don't sound good in your room, it's not the speaker's fault. It really doesn't get any better in terms of sound stage / imaging, or low distortion, plus with the DSP you can tune it to your room somewhat. Shipping is entirely too expensive to allow for a trial period.
  8. More are being made to stock but for now, the ones you will get are the ones in our showroom unless you want to wait for a custom build.

Note that items 1 and 2 can be changed via facilitation from a forum participant (...moi...), but I certainly would recommend using the Xilica XP4080 in any case--so the statement that these will only be sold with it is a good one.  Passive crossover networks and Jubilees, in my opinion, don't really mix well (unless you're going to do what rigma did, and even then you're still going to have time misalignments).  There is just too much sonic performance left on the table to order to try to harken back to the comfort of 20th-century audiophilia and use passive crossover networks on these (my opinion).  When you've heard them with stock settings, and then heard them dialed in to the listening room carefully using phase-flattening filtering, the difference can be astounding.  These loudspeakers have a very great potential that can be accessed by those willing to take some measurements and email them, then receiving Xilica presets files in return, continuing again until the loudspeakers are dialed in.  This process can take no longer than an afternoon if the buyer is willing to do the REW measurements and stand by for the updates via email in succession (usually 3-7 update round robins are necessary for the best results). 

Item 3...I'm a bit puzzled with, but okay I guess so.  I think that Jubilees, like any loudspeaker, can be plugged in with Roy's settings in the Xilica and they will perform well.  But if you want world-class performance out of them (which these loudspeakers can produce), then see my comment just above. JMTC.  I understand the comment about "nightmare".  That's no-kidding a true statement. 

I agree with items 4 and 5.  Best to use four channels of amplifiers all interconnected using balanced connections.  These loudspeakers have so much efficiency/sensitivity that RCA connectors will eventually drive a customer with young ears crazy with common mode noise (i.e., 60/120 Hz in North America, 50/100/150 Hz elsewhere).

I also strongly agree with item 6.  Unless these are packaged in a powered loudspeaker configuration with amplifiers and something to dial them in once they get to the owner's listening room, I think it's wise to talk with Cory first so that he can give the prospective buyer a heads up and also allow Cory the opportunity to assess whether or not the buyer is trying to bite off more than they can chew. 

There is no way that these are going to be sold, accepted, then returned--without something going wrong.   I agree with Cory on item 7.

Chris

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Randyh said:

anybody have an idea what it would cost to make jubes out of  BB  ---4x8 sheets

You're talking about the bass bins...right?

I don't recommend it, because the DIY versions of the bass bins---all of them that I've helped to dial in--all seem to have a problem with their low frequency performance below 100 Hz.  Don't use the plans on the forum.  It's no fun trying to dial those in.

Chris

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

Since this is listed in Alerts and NOT Garage Sale, I will comment. 

Where did this price come from?. Yes, I understand the DSP is included and there is some veneer added. Still ..... I don't get it. 

Ditto. Prices have gone up from the manufacturer? Or what?

53 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Item 3...I'm a bit puzzled with, but okay I guess so.  I think that Jubilees, like any loudspeaker, can be plugged in with Roy's settings in the Xilica and they will perform well. 

I agree with you.

I went from passive (my whole life) to active over night.  Though I'm mechanically inclined, I'm certainly no engineer and nothing like that in my background....and was able to successfully do it (but for the one or two XLR wires I misconfigured!!)  Had they been store bought XLR's, then that wouldn't have been an issue.

My thoughts are if you can follow a recipe and make some cupcakes, you can put this together.  You just need to check your recipe (needs / parts) list first to make sure you have all parts on hand.

Making the icing for said cupcakes might however, be an entirely different matter.

5 hours ago, Chris A said:

Item 3...I'm a bit puzzled with, but okay I guess so.  I think that Jubilees, like any loudspeaker, can be plugged in with Roy's settings in the Xilica and they will perform well.  But if you want world-class performance out of them (which these loudspeakers can produce), then see my comment just above. JMTC.  I understand the comment about "nightmare".  That's no-kidding a true statement. 

I can imagine some of the conversations Cory has had. Sold an SMAHL to an individual recently who is a smart guy but had no mechanical aptitude. I finally had to get him to send pictures to me of his problem. There are four screw holes on the DE-120. A set of three on one side and a single on the other. He was trying to make the three holes on the driver match three holes in the clamp plate and had real trouble visualizing using just the two holes 180 degrees apart. I don't know why but some peoples minds just go blank when a mechanical item is put before them.

4 minutes ago, Dave A said:

I don't know why but some peoples minds just go blank when a mechanical item is put before them.

Enter my father....  it's kind of funny...  he was a developer and built a bunch of stuff on Hilton Head, numerous apartment complexes (probably pushing 200 units each)....  yet can't wire a duplex...  cant fix a leaking faucet... can't do many many household upkeep things.

On second thought, given my innate curiosity and abilities (though I'm no professional)....  maybe I need to wonder if I'm indeed his son!!!  Cause that apple fell from the tree and rolled miles & miles away!!!

• Like 1

The irony of irony....

Happened that I spoke to my father today (92 in October) and his 70 Y.O. Wife....

Said they had a leaking toilet (tank to bowel)....  "do we need to call a plumber???"

I explained they probably needed to simply replace their flapper and could easily do it themselves if they went one step at a time... (and to call me if/as they had any questions)

So yeah....  toilet tank flapper....  mechanical challenge for my father.  Other than his total lack of mechanical ability, I'd be happy if I grew up to be half of what he is.

Heh.

• Like 3