Lowther PM6a Drivers SOLD

joessportster

This is the current production model of the pm6a They have the Rolled edge wiizzer which virtually eliminates the famous lowther shout issue. I have had several lowthers over the years and these are by far my favorites. Selling because I am done with my OB Project where I tried 8 different pairs of drivers. This is the last remaining pair I have to sell. The drivers are cosmetically as new and functionally as new. They have maybe 250 hours total use on them so they still have years to go. Also Lowther offers a "lowther for life" program that allows current lowther owners to trade in there older drivers for a greatly reduced price on a new pair. Not something you will need to worry about for a long time but its nice info to have for future reference.

Not looking for trades at this time

these are the 8 Ohm Alum. Voice Coils

Price here is 625.00 FIIRM plus the ride & fees

• Like 1

On 3/26/2020 at 5:11 AM, joessportster said:

They have the Rolled edge wiizzer which virtually eliminates the famous lowther shout issue. I have had several lowthers over the years and these are by far my favorites.

Posts focused on Lowthers are not common here, although I have mentioned my experiences with them since I started contributing to the Klipsch forum in 2002.  I've been using Lowthers since the 90s, and found the rolled edge whizzer to completely destroy the classic Lowther sound - lightening fast transient response; completely unveiled, crystal clear reproduction (with well-recorded material); unrivaled tonal qualities (of course totally subjective); efficiency equal to that of the most efficient Heritage systems.  I went so far as to extremely carefully remove the rolled edge by trimming away the majority of the half-roll with a fine razor knife, using a brand new blade for each driver.  This brought back at least some of the clean, super-fast transients and instrumental timbres I heard with the old whizzer, but not completely.  I eventually found a pair of older DX4s with the unrolled edge, and am much happier with the sound.  I will also be ordering the older style diaphragms with the classic whizzer cones for my PM5s. 

So!  I suspect this is just the long-winded way of pointing out that one person's "famous Lowther shout" - with which Joe is not alone in hearing (it's an ancient and well-trodden trail on many forums) is another user's extremely accurate portrayal of live instruments.  And I have corresponded with others on the same classic Lowther boat as I!  I will say that there are probably more Lowther users who prefer the rolled whizzer cone to the not-rolled version.

And thus, this is ultimately another way of saying that the sound quality of that capacitor (expensive or not), that output transformer, that 2A3, 6L6, or 5687 is, very simply, in the ears of the beholder... (wink, smile, emoji of choice)

Hoping that you and your families are 'ok' as we work through this very spooky and unprecedented global problem.

I just couldn't help responding to a topic involving the drivers I hold most dear, despite their monumental insignificance at this time.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, erik2A3 said:

Posts focused on Lowthers are not common here, although I have mentioned my experiences with them since I started contributing to the Klipsch forum in 2002.  I've been using Lowthers since the 90s, and found the rolled edge whizzer to completely destroy the classic Lowther sound - lightening fast transient response; completely unveiled, crystal clear reproduction (with well-recorded material); unrivaled tonal qualities (of course totally subjective); efficiency equal to that of the most efficient Heritage systems.  I went so far as to extremely carefully remove the rolled edge by trimming away the majority of the half-roll with a fine razor knife, using a brand new blade for each driver.  This brought back at least some of the clean, super-fast transients and instrumental timbres I heard with the old whizzer, but not completely.  I eventually found a pair of older DX4s with the unrolled edge, and am much happier with the sound.  I will also be ordering the older style diaphragms with the classic whizzer cones for my PM5s. 

So!  I suspect this is just the long-winded way of pointing out that one person's "famous Lowther shout" - with which Joe is not alone in hearing (it's an ancient and well-trodden trail on many forums) is another user's extremely accurate portrayal of live instruments.  And I have corresponded with others on the same classic Lowther boat as I!  I will say that there are probably more Lowther users who prefer the rolled whizzer cone to the not-rolled version.

And thus, this is ultimately another way of saying that the sound quality of that capacitor (expensive or not), that output transformer, that 2A3, 6L6, or 5687 is, very simply, in the ears of the beholder... (wink, smile, emoji of choice)

Hoping that you and your families are 'ok' as we work through this very spooky and unprecedented global problem.

I just couldn't help responding to a topic involving the drivers I hold most dear, despite their monumental insignificance at this time.

Hey  Eric your Opinion is most welcome I strongly suspect lowther makes  several drivers in an attempt to hit  as many different users tastes as they reasonably can.  I personally have also   had both and in my current room the rolled edge  was best, However in other  larger rooms with front  loaded horns  the original style wizzer was just  fine.    I am planning a larger listening room, hoping to go from  13 X 15  to  a dedicated  16 X 20 and I will be able to put wood on  the walls  or ?  Thats another post though

Stay Safe friends

Hi Joe,

You are so right about Lowther making available many different models, with different magnet choices as well.  I would like to point out that your opinion about this -- rolled edge, vs classic straight cone -- is really much more in keeping with I would say probably most Lowther users.

What I like about them, drama, dynamics, and, in particular, a  hyped-up or shouty upper midrange, has actually been their main Achilles heel for generations.  And PLEASE know I was not in any way trying to be contrary.  There was a reason that Lowther started making that midrange cone modification:  TONS of people complained about the shout.  Before that, most Lowther sites had entire sections devoted to suggested modifications to help tame its overbearing response.  In fact, I almost decided against buying them for that very reason.  But when Art Dudley's review in Listener (some of you will remember that!) of the very speakers in which I was interested, and because he spoke so glowingly about them, I was sold.

And then AD eventually sold his pair because of that pesky shout!

• Like 1