What album or artist sparked your interest for music?

MeloManiac

For me, it was The Music of Cosmos, the soundtrack of the Carl Sagan's documentary series 'Cosmos'. I must have been 11 or 12, it was the year 1980 (?). It opened the world of classical music and synthesizer music (Vangelis!). I watched the doc with my father and I also bought the book (in Dutch). It was one of the first albums I bought - probably the first. The album still has its price tag on it (375 Belgian Francs, which is less than 10 euros/dollars).

Carl Sagan and his team also recorded a golden (literally) album and sent it into space with the Voyager spacecraft.

I also convinced my parents to invest in an Onkyo stereo system which is now in my living room. It still sounds amazing, especially with  vinyl records. It has two two way floor standing speakers which sound amazing too, no sub required...

I've never mastered a musical instrument myself, unfortunately, but my wife is a multi-instrumentalist: she can play a score on sight and has played the flute, piano, oboe and cello. She's now focusing on oboe and cello and plays in two musical ensembles.

IMG_20200327_090622.jpg

• Like 5

Not an album; my interest in music was sparked by my older sister’s 45s.  The Everly Brothers’ Wake Up Little Suzie, Chains by The Cookies, Tell Him by The Exciters, etc. I honestly don’t recall the first album I bought, but it was probably something from Beach Boys, Rolling Stones, or Dave Clark Five.

• Like 2

I think it was Elvis on the radio,my mom sent my grandmother a letter (I lave it here somewhere) in which among other things she said I like that new rock and roll stuff from Elvis Presley.

I was about one and a half to two years old, around 1957-1958 at the time.

• Like 1

• MeloManiac changed the title to What album or artist sparked your interest for music?
3 hours ago, ILI said:

For me, it was The Music of Cosmos, the soundtrack of the Carl Sagan's documentary series 'Cosmos'. I must have been 11 or 12, it was the year 1980 (?). It opened the world of classical music and synthesizer music (Vangelis!). I watched the doc with my father and I also bought the book (in Dutch). It was one of the first albums I bought - probably the first. The album still has its price tag on it (375 Belgian Francs, which is less than 10 euros/dollars).

Carl Sagan and his team also recorded a golden (literally) album and sent it into space with the Voyager spacecraft.

I also convinced my parents to invest in an Onkyo stereo system which is now in my living room. It still sounds amazing, especially with  vinyl records. It has two two way floor standing speakers which sound amazing too, no sub required...

I've never mastered a musical instrument myself, unfortunately, but my wife is a multi-instrumentalist: she can play a score on sight and has played the flute, piano, oboe and cello. She's now focusing on oboe and cello and plays in two musical ensembles.

IMG_20200327_090622.jpg

I had this album. Cosmos advised you how teentsy humanity is and it’s sound track just enveloped ones senses. 

I cannot recall any single album that sent me into hifi. Was raised in West Los Angeles and music was everywhere and so were some very nice stereo rigs. I attended a lot of live music, ushered at the Hollywood Bowl for one summer. My one go-to album was ‘The Village caller’ by Johnny Lytle so that’s my choice.

The first music I remember was on my mom's albums on "The World's Greatest Music" label.  She had all of them. Then came the records of Musicals. Oklahoma!, Showboat, etc. Well before I had developed any of my own likes. On a whim I went into a Goodwill Store  a couple years ago and found some in the discount bin! 49 cents each.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

YES_FRAGILE+-+1ST+-+EX-66706.jpg

1*bApxxLeLdcE6gZF1qFdy-A.png

61Um4jD+GBL._SY355_.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRO7MOG3LJfXx7bw3qIsgm

back in 77-78 my neighbor handed me... those 4 albums...

I was already aware of d.s.o.t.m..

but out those 4.. fragile stood out the most...

heart of the sunrise and some self medication.. and that was it !

• Like 5

The Beatles and Beach Boys, on the AM radio, circa 1962.  Meet the Beatles album.

With the Beach Boys, it was more songs.  Little Honda, In My Room, Little Deuce Coup.  Bought a lot of 45's.

Has everybody heard the acapela vocals?

• Like 1

• Moderators

Not one LP or band but more what was on the AM rock radio stations, when FM came along the quality improved greatly. FM was a big deal, better sound and it did not cut out especially around big building or tunnels. Back then FM was not to bad, not nearly as many commercials and what was called album hours, and weekend specials with nonstop music. 

Don't forget Wolfman Jack

• Like 2

February 9, 1964.

The Beatles first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show.

I had just begun to like girls.

All of the girls in my school began professing their undying love for John, Paul, George & Ringo.

I decided right then-and-there  that I had to up my game . . . and began learning as much as I could about the so called British Invasion . . . and the roots of Rock-n-Roll, blues, hillbilly and "black music".

And . . . I started listening to Wolfman Jack . . . and watching American Bandstand, Hootenanny, Shindig, Hullabaloo, etc.

• Like 1

My parents had an old player for 78s and then later a simple player of 33 rpm LPs for Christmas.  Along with it was an LP,  How to Conduct Your Own Orchestra (baton included).  It contained catchy tunes from classical music. I might have been six years old.

I'm with dtel in spirit.  AM in the NYC area was very much WABC and top 40.  Then FM started up.  It was  sea change with for rock, intelligent DJs and a thoughtful selection of Album Oriented Rock (AOR).  WNEW was tops.  Their most fabulous DJ was The Nightbird.  This was the mid-1960s.

.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alison_Steele

I don't recall any other female DJ and she would be a tough act to compete with. The wiki is worth reading.

Classical on FM in stereo was also a big hit.  I recall an honorary uncle of mine trying to convince his wife he needed an outboard FM decoder.  In vintage mono FM receivers you'll often find a MPX output for multiplex stereo.

• Like 1