something very strange happend to me

juniper

Maybe someone can explain this? So i go to me kitchen cabinet and there are two large ikea tapered water glasses stacked. Theres a little water in the bottom one and they are about an 1/8 " thick and the bottom is 1/4", there was no vacuum and it lifted easily.  I gently lift the top glass and the bottom glass exploded. it threw glass up to 15 feet all over my kitchen. The cabinet is about 5 feet off the ground and all the except for very few pieces broke into squarish pieces that are all similar in size about a 1/3 of an inch by 1/3 of an inch. The bottom also blew up. Anyone have any ideas? it was a little weird. Thanks!

The way it broke up sounds like tempered glass.  Maybe it had residual stresses, and maybe you made a slight impact when lifting the top glass.  The sniper theory crossed my mind also, as well as the haunted cabinet theory.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Seadog said:

The way it broke up sounds like tempered glass.  Maybe it had residual stresses, and maybe you made a slight impact when lifting the top glass.  The sniper theory crossed my mind also, as well as the haunted cabinet theory.

It does look like tempered glass, the way it broke but the glass is clear maybe it was only a little tempered? i just dont understand how it could have happened... I was so gentle lifting it out, there was a slight tap to the glasses, but this thing literally exploded. Someone did tell me my house was haunted, and we live by a famous train bridge that people jump off of sometimes or fall off. Cool thing is people fly propeler planes under it sometimes, very cool to see! Its called the Arcola Trail high bridge on the Soo line in Minnesota. I want to meet this ghost demolitionist!

Guessing it’s tempered glass. Y’know those tiny pointed hammers that with a light ‘tap’ can shatter a windshield? That’s likely the deal here. Once was moving an entertainment center that had glass shelving and barely hit one shelf on something and it exploded into ten million pieces. Did the same thing long ago with a hibachi on a glass table - too hot and BOOM!

My understanding is tempered glass is actually under some stress (??)  You can gently tap the edge of it and the stress relieves by shattering.

I saw some show onetime.....  they put a high speed camera on a large pane of glass and hit it on the edge.  Even with the high speed camera on it, the shatter was near immediate across the entire pane.  Whereas with normal glass you would have seen the cracks go across the distance.  The temperred was clear....  then almost immediately turned opaque as it then self destructed.

Was very interesting to watch......if you like to watch glass breaking.

Tempered glass gets brittle as it ages. This happened to me as I was lifting a warm tumbler out of dishwasher with wet hands. Fortunately all the glass was contained in the DW and I was able to vacuum it all out before I ran it again. A cautionary note: this was a "Picardie" or "Bistro" tumbler, which just about everyone has/does own; they are especially prone to this as they get old and may develop sharp cracks right at the lip. I always check them carefully before using, especially if they are more than 5 yrs old. A buddy (owner of the DW, BTW) also had two outdoor coffee tables shatter like that, found them in pieces when he came home from work.

13 hours ago, juniper said:

I gently lift the top glass and the bottom glass exploded.

Given that specific description, I would guess the top glass put a downward pressure or stress on the lower glass.  When you lifted the top glass off, the bottom glass tried to rebound   into its original shape.  There was enough kinetic energy for the lower glass to rebound violently and explode.

Or it was the Cornwalls being played too loud.