The Klipsch Audio Community
7heavenlyplaces

What IS IT with these emotions kicking in at age 58?

14 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

@dtel  Elden ... are you far enough away from New Orleans to be safe?  I hear that it is a virus hot spot. Stay safe my friend. 

Yes an hour North, plus where we live is out in the country and it's 6 acres and friends have been told don't bother visiting, and the kids already know. We have all we need and have no reason to go anywhere. 

Do the same and try to avoid being close to anyone, unless she is really worth it.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, dtel said:

Yes an hour North, plus where we live is out in the country and it's 6 acres and friends have been told don't bother visiting, and the kids already know. We have all we need and have no reason to go anywhere. 

Do the same and try to avoid being close to anyone, unless she is really worth it.  

glad you are protected.  I haven't left my house in 10 days actually.  I think I need to go outside and at least start my car tomorrow.   I'm out of bourbon, so a trip to the liquor store is in the future. 

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with that, getting out a little is good for you, it's just the other humans you need to be careful around.

I have been doing alot out in the yard, spring garden stuff mostly. And self quarantining out in my office as my wife calls it.

Today, I-pad pic as I was staying away from humans in my favorite spot, a hammock listening to music and posting here. 

image.jpeg

• Like 7

On 3/27/2020 at 7:57 PM, 7heavenlyplaces said:

Like never before...

More emotions than, well, since Moses walked the earth.  Is there a connection between aging and (ever)  increasing emotional response? 

Are you feeling more... 'Spiritual'?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dtel said:

Nothing wrong with that, getting out a little is good for you, it's just the other humans you need to be careful around.

I have been doing alot out in the yard, spring garden stuff mostly. And self quarantining out in my office as my wife calls it.

Today, I-pad pic as I was staying away from humans in my favorite spot, a hammock listening to music and posting here. 

image.jpeg

if it wasn't for that horrible weather that you have to deal with, I'd love to join you. Do you ever get used to that humidity? 

• Like 1

Yes in a way, there is no way to avoid it, a fan to move some air and staying out of the sun helps. When the humidity gets really low it tends to dry out my nose and throat, guess I'm used to it ?

Part of the reason for building that place was, someplace to relax in the shade with a couple ceiling fans and some music.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Schu said:
On 3/27/2020 at 9:57 PM, 7heavenlyplaces said:

Like never before...

More emotions than, well, since Moses walked the earth.  Is there a connection between aging and (ever)  increasing emotional response? 

Are you feeling more... 'Spiritual'?

Good question, people go through things, people change and most of the time we don't realize it or know why.

hopefully the emotions are comforting. for instance, I no longer fear death so that is a huge weight that I no longer carry around. (disclaimer: I do fear HOW I will die. I hope that I just go to sleep one night and don't wake up here on Earth.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dtel said:

I had no idea, I tease my wife that for women it should be called mentalpause. She is not amused with it. For women the temperature changes alone can be shocking, definitely real.

On the other hand, I saw a woman being interviewed on TV last year.  She was an author, I think.  Anyway, she said she was happy to have gone through menopause.  Now that she didn’t have to deal with cascading hormones and the often unwanted strong emotions that go with them, she felt that she finally had a clear head.  At last, she was in charge of her feelings, instead of them being in charge of her.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtel said:

Like looking in a mirror, I do not feel as old as I look, mirrors suck.

Mirrors?  They might be bad, but photos are much worse. “Please, show me the ones without the Ugly filter applied.”

• Haha 2

I'm an emotional dude by nature ... and I wouldn't change that.  Sure, I have to guard against lows that are lower than they should be; but the highs are so high that It is so cool. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Islander said:

Mirrors?  They might be bad, but photos are much worse. “Please, show me the ones without the Ugly filter applied.”

Well ugly has never been my problem, I rarely look in a mirror so I don't see it regularly. But when I do I don't know who it is.

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

I'm an emotional dude by nature ... and I wouldn't change that.  Sure, I have to guard against lows that are lower than they should be; but the highs are so high that It is so cool. 

Nothing wrong with that, just watch the lows.

And for me 58 was 4.5 years ago, waking up is a privilege.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtel said:

Well ugly has never been my problem, I rarely look in a mirror so I don't see it regularly. But when I do I don't know who it is

That reminds me of the song by Steve Goodman called This Hotel Room.  That’s the one where he lists the features of his hotel room, including:

”A chest of drawers and a mirror that lies,

Mirror that lies, a mirror that lies,

That couldn’t be me

In the gorilla disguise.”

Hmm, I guess I need a shower and a shave...

Oops, double post.

Listened to/watched a bunch of Jackson Browne videos last week... Running on Empty, Song for Adam, For A Dancer... on and on. Let my emotions run for a time. Cried a lot. I'll be 71 in June, outlived many in the family.

I've tried to reconnect with old friends, but some of it is a lost cause and they are nowhere to be found and probably don't give a chit anyway.

Playing guitar more...

"For A Dancer"

Keep a fire burning in your eye
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down
I don't remember losing track of you
You were always dancing in and out of view
I must have thought you'd always be around
Always keeping things real by playing the clown
Now you're nowhere to be found

I don't know what happens when people die
Can't seem to grasp it as hard as I try
It's like a song I can hear playing right in my ear
That I can't sing
I can't help listening
And I can't help feeling stupid standing 'round
Crying as they ease you down
'Cause I know that you'd rather we were dancing
Dancing our sorrow away
(Right on dancing)
No matter what fate chooses to play
(There's nothing you can do about it anyway)

Just do the steps that you've been shown
By everyone you've ever known
Until the dance becomes your very own
No matter how close to yours
Another's steps have grown
In the end there is one dance you'll do alone

Keep a fire for the human race
Let your prayers go drifting into space
You never know what will be coming down
Perhaps a better world is drawing near
And just as easily it could all disappear
Along with whatever meaning you might have found
Don't let the uncertainty turn you around
(The world keeps turning around and around)
Go on and make a joyful sound

Into a dancer you have grown
From a seed somebody else has thrown
Go on ahead and throw some seeds of your own
And somewhere between the time you arrive
And the time you go
May lie a reason you were alive
But you'll never know

• Like 1

I always thought the saying "cranky old man" was nothing more than an intolerant observation of old people. I'm 64 now, and I find myself more intolerant every day. I don't know if it's natural, or if I'm just fed up with stupid people and their stupid ideas! Now shut up and leave me alone....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Grumpy Old Men

Curmudgeon... wear it with pride.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Islander said:

On the other hand, I saw a woman being interviewed on TV last year.  She was an author, I think.  Anyway, she said she was happy to have gone through menopause.  Now that she didn’t have to deal with cascading hormones and the often unwanted strong emotions that go with them, she felt that she finally had a clear head.  At last, she was in charge of her feelings, instead of them being in charge of her.

On yet another hand, several years ago a woman I knew had to endure temporary testosterone therapy for some problem that was really none of my business. She hated it, complaining that it made her "irritable and aggressive".

"Congratulations," I said, "Now you know how I feel all the time."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1