CF-3 rear baffle

red1302

If its anything like the KLF series (which I believe it is), remove the rear baffle using a heat gun to loosen the glue if need be.  Scrape all of the all glue off, again use a heat gun if necessary.  Use liquid nail in the seam for adhesive.  Try to get some excess adhesive to ooze out into the cabinet so you can run your finger along the edges of the seam from the inside to get a nice seal.  There should be no need for screws, just make sure the panel is clamped down well.  I used kettle bell weights across the panel.  I suggest doing the front and rear at the same time.  If the back is loose, the front probably is or will be.  When letting the liquid nail set, I used 2x4s that were shorter than the cabinet and laid the cabinet on it to put even pressure across the rear baffle, and laid 2x4s across the motorboard in a similar manner, then stacked the kettle bell weights on the 2x4s.  Let the liquid nail set for 7 days (that is the proper cure time).

i would say no to wood screws,  will look tacky & probably ruin resale value.  do as explained above & reglue them.  if they aret really loose you can just put a big bead of liquid nails or i like gorilla glue & thats should hold them for good.  i did that to a set of KG 5.5's that rattled on heavy bass beats, fixed them for good & still going strong 15+ years after selling to a friend. 

if there is a black coating called mellamine (sp) you want to remove it if possible or sand it with very coarse 50-80 grit paper to give the new glue something to bite into.  think they sell a special glue for that too.   

I used wood screws BUT they were on the inside as I made 3/4" glue blocks all around the inside of the back so I could glue & screw the back panel on from the inside.  I think I have pictures somewhere and I'll post if I can find them.  I did the same mounting on the back panels of  the KLF-30's I had that suffered the same issues.

Edit...found the pics.  The original glue job inside on mine was awful.  It looked like it was done on Margarita Friday at 4:45pm. 

Original glue job...

IMG_3725_copy_768x1024.jpg

Redone...

IMG_3729_copy_768x1024_1.jpg

IMG_3728_copy_768x1024.jpg

IMG_3727_copy_1024x768.jpg

Edited by avguytx