Rudy's Recovery Room

Travis In Austin

BTW: this is a thread for Rudy.  I actually recommend the Corona thread for political statements...

Thanks again to the individual that started this thread.  It was a nice thought and I hope it helps Rudy to recover more quickly.

Chris

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Marvel said:

WTF, Dave... he's not a seer, knower of all things. The science has not proven the efficacy of using chloroquine to treat Covid-19, either by itself or in combination with other drugs. It hasn't been approved for treatment and as such is still off label. The anecdotal reports of it working is great, and as I said, I am glad it worked for Rudy. It could also have been it ran it's course and the 106 degree temp worked. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. There's also a difference between Chloroquine and Hydroxychloroquine, and both are still being studied.

So... not politics, Dave. Since the research looks favorable but not yet a given, saying the president knew it would work can't be true.

Unsure of your position on using these meds. When in the middle of a ‘code blue’ we run blood gas studies and their results are crucial to the proper management of that scenario. There are blood gas techs who run a ‘stat’ blood gas and get that info back to the decision makers ASAP and then there are blood gas techs who take their time and complete all the documentation prior to making that call. 

When there are lives being lost, lots and lots of them - how much anecdotal positives are needed before a perfectly safe medication should be applied? Do not misunderstand me. I love research and have been involved in academic and clinical research. I have also done patient care and shudder to think what these patients and their care providers are going through. Right now if ‘tidy bowl’ seemed to work then gimme more ‘tidy bowl’. Do the paperwork later. Refine the application later. Fine tune the doses later. People are dying and there are many thousands in that queue.

• Like 1

Like that^^^  Please take those elsewhere, if you don't mind.  I'd like to keep this thread open (i.e., not closed).

Chris

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Right now if ‘tidy bowl’ seemed to work then gimme more ‘tidy bowl’. Do the paperwork later. Refine the application later. Fine tune the doses later. People are dying and there are many thousands in that queue.

No argument from me on this. At the end of March, both Hydroxychloroquine and Chloroquine were approved for use by the FDA under the Emergency Use Authorization but still not an approved treatment. Would I want them to use it on me or anyone else if it might might work? Absolutely! Look, my wife died from Malignant Melanoma almost 15 years ago, and used a trial treatment for MM, which was IL-2. When lives are on the line and you have a drug like Cholorquine which costs pennies, we would be foolish not to use/try the treatment.

• Thanks 2

• Moderators
BTW: this is a thread for Rudy.  I actually recommend the Corona thread for political statements...

Thanks again to the individual that started this thread.  It was a nice thought and I hope it helps Rudy to recover more quickly.

Chris

Y’all would be wise to follow Chris’s advice. That being said no politics. I don’t want to be forced to
lock either thread.

Keep this thread about Rudy and his progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Rudy81 said:

I know of one colleague who is still in ICU from this thing.

It's never fun to be in ICU.  I spent a week there with my wife once (the CCU at the particular hospital was full in August 2001).  The nurses commented that it was unusual to be able to talk to a patient in ICU--and it was nice to talk a little.  My wife got very bored once and used the heart/pulmonary monitor while alternatively holding her breath and breathing to "draw pictures" using the monitor screen.  The nurse came in once with a very worried look on her face and asked if she wouldn't do that.  🤔 

In all seriousness, I hope that your colleague recovers, and soon.

Chris

4 minutes ago, Rudy81 said:

This continues to be one strange disease affecting the entire world.....almost a surreal experience that is most unbelievable. 

Yes, surreal.  I have to remind myself that the entire world human population isn't in a normal place right now.  Since my lifestyle didn't really change much even after sheltering in place, I essentially have to pinch myself every once in a while (and be very careful at the supermarket).  We try to keep things upbeat here as much as possible--doing our daily tasks and activities with our "children" (two Border Collies and a Samoyed).  It helps to pass the time quickly.  My daughter's story was nice to read--after it had occurred, and she and her boyfriend have pretty much recovered. 

I can't even begin to comprehend what this has done to those that have lost their jobs or businesses, or are suffering greatly from its effects.  Perhaps there is an upside to all of this (I've begun to find some things to discuss on how this will benefit everyone in some way), but there is a lot of hurt and despair, too.  It's best to stay focused on the positive stuff I think...especially in recovery.

13 minutes ago, Rudy81 said:

The interesting thing is nobody seems to have a concrete idea of what constitutes 'recovered'. Neither the hospital not my doc have a decisive answer to the 'when am I well' question. I suspect the medial profession is still trying to figure that out. Some folks indicate lack of symptoms, some indicate two negative tests etc.  Problem is, it is difficult to get tested unless you fit certain criteria.

There is a story on FiveThirtyEight.com that discusses the problem of not knowing who has been infected, i.e., the numbers are presently meaningless.  I have to agree: any numbers other than mortality figures are not very useful (unfortunately).  The rule of thumb is that there are at least 1000 people infected per mortality, and probably much higher figures.  

I've also read on the problem of "how do you know when you're well, or at least not infectious?"  Apparently it's measured in the number of viruses per unit of blood tested, and that number is much bigger than I'd've guessed.  Essentially, there's a very long tail on the recovery process-measured in weeks or perhaps even longer.  This isn't good, but at least knowing that those infected are infected for a month or more is important to know.  I'm glad my daughter is in Seattle and not in Arlington for instance. (The blizzard of texts is enough--even if it's on my wife's phone. I don't own a smart phone and one of the reasons why is that I don't have to withstand text blizzards periodically.)

Chris

4 hours ago, Marvel said:

WTF, Dave... he's not a seer, knower of all things. The science has not proven the efficacy of using chloroquine to treat Covid-19, either by itself or in combination with other drugs. It hasn't been approved for treatment and as such is still off label. The anecdotal reports of it working is great, and as I said, I am glad it worked for Rudy. It could also have been it ran it's course and the 106 degree temp worked. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. There's also a difference between Chloroquine and Hydroxychloroquine, and both are still being studied.

So... not politics, Dave. Since the research looks favorable but not yet a given, saying the president knew it would work can't be true.

I am just asking you to justify what you say in spite of the ever growing  evidence of patient recovery around the world and that what Trump talked about does work. He is not a seer he is a man with more information at his fingertips than you who has a solid reasons for making his statements of efficacy. Not politics at all until you interjected it just just a question asking you to prove your assertion rather then get all bent out of shape. Are you unhappy he is right and is helping to get this out there in spite of people in positions of power who tried to stop it in two states? Why would you not celebrate something that very well may be the best tool for quickly ending this calamity? It is not just Rudy it is people around the world recovering and they and their Doctors say it is the Hydroxychloroquine. Used for Malaria and Rheumatoid Arthritis and other things it has been proven to be pretty darned safe and does not need ten years of government studies while people die. It needs as a proven tool of recovery to be put out there. I like your WTF too by the way but I will refrain from addressing you that way.

• Haha 1

My filipina wife was teaching in China during the SARS outbreak, and is pretty anxious given current conditions here in the US. Of course, worried about family in the Philippines as well. The more stories we hear of survival, the better off we all are.

I'm glad to hear what you are experiencing now that you are home.

• Moderators

I’m asking nicely, one last time. This thread is for Rudy and his recovery. Take anything else regarding CV19 to the other thread.

Keep politics out of it.

Warning points, suspensions and being banned are all in the table for those that don’t follow the Terms of Service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Marvel said:

My filipina wife was teaching in China during the SARS outbreak, and is pretty anxious given current conditions here in the US. Of course, worried about family in the Philippines as well. The more stories we hear of survival, the better off we all are.

I'm glad to here what you are experiencing now that you are home.

Yeah My brother is trapped in the Phillipines right now and not sure when he will get home. The few flight out were hard to get to and there are now cases close by.

1 hour ago, Dave A said:

Doctors say it is the Hydroxychloroquine. Used for Malaria and Rheumatoid Arthritis and other things it has been proven to be pretty darned safe and does not need ten years of government studies while people die. It needs as a proven tool of recovery to be put out there. I like your WTF too by the way but I will refrain from addressing you that way.

Both are used for Malaria, etc., but the Hydroxychloroquine apparently is riskier among certain people groups from what I have been researching. For sure, whatever works... will eagerly await Rudy's progress while now home.

Thanks for the info. This is also informative. Earlier, only Chloroquine was mentioned, and there are some dosage/safety differences. Just wanted to be clear the distinction. Last time I had a high fever I was probably five years old and hit 104. I remember hallucinating to this day. I can only imagine what 106 was doing to your body and brain.