AA mod

CECAA850

I'm knocking down the mids 3db on my AAs  by moving a tap on the tranformer and adding a resistor across the squawker.  The transformer is a 3670 and the squawker positive wire is currently on the tap marked 3.  I'm assuming I move it to the tap marked 6?  The taps on the back of the transformer are marked 3, 6, 9 and 12.

TIA

I'm thinking the numbers are dB reduction levels, so bigger is higher reduction.  And that the impedance seen by the crossover will become higher, so a parallel resistor would be correct.  But the resistor will also consume signal, dropping the output of the driver yet more.  So you'll end up at more than -3 dB output.  ("upwards" of -6?)

Might be better to leave the tap alone and use a combination of series and parallel resistors after the transformer such that the impedance stays nominally the same.  Or use just a series resistor upstream of the crossover, but then you'll have to move the tweeter crossover stuff ahead of that unless you want to maintain the mid-to-high relationship.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, rockhound said:

It would be useful to those that may want to do the same to see a picture of what the final mod looked like from the original a before and after if you will.

Too late.  It's back together.  The only picture I have of the resistor installed can't be posted as I'm over my limit.

On 3/28/2020 at 8:34 PM, glens said:

I'm thinking the numbers are dB reduction levels, so bigger is higher reduction.  And that the impedance seen by the crossover will become higher, so a parallel resistor would be correct.  But the resistor will also consume signal, dropping the output of the driver yet more.  So you'll end up at more than -3 dB output.  ("upwards" of -6?)

Might be better to leave the tap alone and use a combination of series and parallel resistors after the transformer such that the impedance stays nominally the same.  Or use just a series resistor upstream of the crossover, but then you'll have to move the tweeter crossover stuff ahead of that unless you want to maintain the mid-to-high relationship.

There are multiple threads on here about how much power a constant impedance network uses. The 'swamping' resistor across the the autoformer will work fine. Where's @Deang when we need him.

My DH2 crossovers use this method and you just need to go

Bruce

4 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Too late.  It's back together.  The only picture I have of the resistor installed can't be posted as I'm over my limit.

Did you end up soldering a 15 - 16 ohm resistor across the squawker and move the squawker to taps 0 - 3?  

3 hours ago, mboxler said:

Did you end up soldering a 15 - 16 ohm resistor across the squawker and move the squawker to taps 0 - 3?  

The resistor had long leads so I actually mounted it to the crossover at the terminal strip.