AA mod

CECAA850

2 minutes ago, Randyh said:

so , should one not use L-pads with Klipsch speakers that use Autoformers

You can, but it's redundant. Do whatever floats you boat. There's always more than one choice. In the case of my Indianapolis system, I finally found a Tweeter driver that had the same sensitivity as a K-1133 driver on a K-402 horn. I only had 1 capacitor in series with each driver. Only 2 capacitors and Zero Autoformers and L-pads. IOW, the simplest possible. Then I used a Behringer 2496 on the bass section with no PEQ, and only a bandpass from 50-300 Hz. The Danley DTS-10 subs were driven by a sub output on my AVR set to 50 Hz. Simple and VERY effective, not to mention sonically impressive for all who heard it.

42 minutes ago, Randyh said:

Amazing , the Japan made speaker industry  , JBL ,  etc , and you name it , had it wrong all these years ----go figure

Actually, it was JBL that first used the swamping resistor and an autotransformer together.

2 hours ago, Randyh said:

Amazing , the Japan made speaker industry  , JBL ,  etc , and you name it , had it wrong all these years ----go figure

It all depends on whether Paul Klipsch's bias is trumped by practicality. There are phase issues with Autoformers, but if you look at a Khorn, now or old, phase coherence is not one of it's primary benefits, especially to those whose hearing mechanisms are insensitive to that aspect of speaker performance.

1 hour ago, Deang said:

Actually, it was JBL that first used the swamping resistor and an autotransformer together.

It's actually a good idea if you want stepped attenuation without having to change a Capacitor values in a first order network.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 7:13 PM, Deang said:

Yes, and no. As Dennis used to say, “there’s no free lunch.”

I agree with this notion. I have and ALK network that has one. I tried a passive top end with Tractrix horn and JBL Large Phenolic drivers on a Jubilee bin as a 3-way with DaveA's LMAHL tweeters. Sounded really good, similar to TADs on a K402 with Xilica Xover, but if was not for long or for critical measurement or comparison. I was just playing before I sold the Jubes and plugged my dormant SH-50's back in and added big TH subs........a much better use of space, which is at a premium for me. So I never listened critically or measured the effect of the swamping resistor on the Xover point, but it is a useful component in an Autoformer based network.