AA mod

CECAA850

26 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

They seem more balanced now.

Yes, to you and your (and likely to me and my) aging ears.  But younger folks will listen to you "gushing" about the sound of your setup and likely shrug their shoulders!

Since the driver is nominally 16 ohms, the impedance of the stock corner frequency low-to-mid would be nominally 32 ohms.  By placing that same 15 ohm resistor in series with the feed to the 13uF cap input, using the stock output tap to the driver, and moving the tweeter cap to receive its signal before that resistor you'd be decreasing the squawker output by more like 1.5 dB instead of the -3 you now have.  I highly recommend trying that.  It will cost nothing but some time. 

I've been told the tweeter cap is singular in value (not a result of being in series with the squawker cap causing a lower overall value to the tweeter).  I'm yet unconvinced of that, but assuming it's true, making the connections as I've suggested would result in no change to the tweeter range/output.

14 minutes ago, SWL said:

Klipsch stock, flat is not my cup of tea but I gotta say that I heard the new Cornwall IV's recently (no EQ) and I was impressed. I'm wondering what they changed......

The person voicing the speakers. 

1 minute ago, glens said:

Yes, to you and your (and likely to me and my) aging ears.  But younger folks will listen to you "gushing" about the sound of your setup and likely shrug their shoulders!

Son in law is 32 I believe and he likes how they sound as well.

Just now, glens said:

In large part having to do with getting rid of the pesky transformer, no doubt.

No idea but I wouldn't mod any of the new stuff.  They sound great to me.  I have 396's that Roy voiced and have no desire to pull the mids down.  The new Fortes are one of my favorite sounding speakers.  Maybe the new lines don't have the traditional Klipsch sound.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

I am unaware of that sound. I always please.

9 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

You need to send me a cheat sheet.

It is my final move that usually pleases them the most. I leave the room. I can sometimes hear a faint "thank god" in the background.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

The new Fortes are one of my favorite sounding speakers. 

I have, as my first ever pair of Klipsch, the newest Fortes and am thoroughly satisfied they are the best money I've ever spent on stereo gear.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, glens said:

I have, as my first ever pair of Klipsch, the newest Fortes and am thoroughly satisfied they are the best money I've ever spent on stereo gear.

And I would have no desire to pull the mids down on those.  I love how they sound as is so I'm thinking my desire to tweak AAs isn't necessarily a function of a hearing issue on my part.

28 minutes ago, glens said:

I guess I don't know or at least remember knowing.  What are these AAs in?

I was assuming his LSi splits. I think they reside full time on his patio. If you think that is overkill for a patio, you haven't seen his garage.

On 4/1/2020 at 8:07 PM, PrestonTom said:

I agree. I don't think the AA would be considered a constant  impedance design. If that is something someone feels the need for, then ALK has some networks that will approximate that goal. IMO, a decent amplifier should be able to deal with changes in impedance (within reason). Although there are some tube amps (not most) that will track the load impedance. 

Just as a general comment, why are folks wanting to drop the midrange output on the Klipsch balancing network? A 3 dB change is actually a significant difference. I imagine the designer spent some time developing that network. Do you think they got it wrong? Is it possible that the "Klipsch sound" is not your cup of tea? I am not being mean, but there are a ton of speakers out there, you should be able to find one that has a design (components, drivers etc - all working together) that meets an individual's satisfaction. 

Good Luck,

-Tom

PWK once published a "Dope from Hope" about a Heresy vs. a Resistor amplifier load (I forget what year). The distortion on his spectrum clearly showed the Heresy to have lower distortion, since it had the HIGHEST RISING IMPEDANCE of all Klipsch Heritage speakers at the time. He was going against insdustry "myths" that constant impedance was a necessary thing for performance, so he showed that IF the impedance went up instead of down, the amplifier/speaker connection clearly showed lower distortion and even a benign RESISTOR!!

3 hours ago, MookieStl said:

I was assuming his LSi splits. I think they reside full time on his patio. If you think that is overkill for a patio, you haven't seen his garage.

These are actually in my bedroom Lascalas.  They're stock other than the Crites tweeters.  I have the old style ALK Universals in the patio splits.

Let's create a baseline here so everyone is somewhat on the same page:

K-55 with no horn, 110dB

K-55 on K-400, 107dB

Combo on tap 4 (stock), 104dB

Combo on tap 3, 101dB

On tap 3, you are an additional 3dB down from the stock setting, but you are 6dB down from the unattenuated K-55/K-400 combination.

The setting you prefer will depend on many factors. 1) your hearing, 2) your room size, 3) the room itself, 4) how far back you sit, 4) how loud you normally listen (equal loudness curves).

I only build 6dB down if the customer requests it. What I build and normally send out is 4dB down, using a 3636 autotransformer and a 10uF capacitor.

I've compared the swamping resistor method to changing the value of the cap many times. The microphone says they're the same but they do not sound the same. I never did develop a clear preference. Since I didn't have a preference, it just made more sense to use a smaller capacitor size and increase the quality of the part. It also means one less part that you don't need. 

I see no difference on a practical level between EQ, DSP, L-pads, or autotransformer adjustments. It's whatever a person prefers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Listening to 'stock' LaScalas at moderate to high volume levels for any length of time causes listening fatigue. Too bad it took me 30 years to figure that out. And its the squawker(apropos name) This is type I I'm talking about, I have no experience with type II expect a couple minutes during factory tours at pilgrimages.

This all IMHO.

16 minutes ago, babadono said:

Listening to 'stock' LaScalas at moderate to high volume levels for any length of time causes listening fatigue.

I have a friend who has some ES networks but couldn't pry them out of his hands so I ended up with this alternative.